Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
How can anyone be content with the wide receiving corps the Bears currently have? Devin Hester, Earl Bennett and Johnny Knox, with Iglesias possibly making waves? Are you serious?

Exactly.

Seriously, all there is there is speed. None of these guys are good enough to have "great" years or be a #1.

Hester is best used in the slot. Not lined up #1. He's got speed, and decent hands, but his football IQ is horrible. I dont count on him making the play that we need on a final drive, or when we need it.

Knox- See Hester, but with a little more football IQ.

Iglesias- I'm sure there is a reason this guy sat out all last year.

Bennett-Pretty Decent hands, and could be a serviceable receiver. Still nothing to be excited about.

D.A- Why is everyone overrating him? The guy had a couple good games last year, and we act like he's the second coming of Randy Moss. Let's see how he is in his first full season.

That being said, I hope these receivers prove me wrong this season.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Why in the world would you think that we need a #1 WR???????

I have said this until I am blue in the face. Some winning teams don't have a #1 WR and some team that can't win have a #1WR. It takes a hell of a lot more then a #1 WR to make a winning team. I don't know why, just because people can type and can post on the internet they think this means they can write what ever they want even if it is all just total BS. I played pro ball for 5 years, played in the SB and I still don't have any idea if we need a #1 WR so what makes you such a expert on what the Bear need or don't need.

lol.. Did you read the headline, and not the article?

Don't you see what Cutler did with a #1 WR in Denver? He won games. I'm not saying that's all we need. But it's a big problem. You get Cutler a go to guy, and this offense becomes better.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Don't you see what Cutler did with a #1 WR in Denver? He won games. I'm not saying that's all we need. But it's a big problem. You get Cutler a go to guy, and this offense becomes better.

You could argue, though, that Brandon Marshall's rise to a #1 WR was thanks in large part to his rapport with Cutler.

Everyone seems so convinced that the Bears don't have any talent at WR, but I still haven't seen anyone be convincing enough with their arguments.

Yeah, they don't have a "proven" #1 WR. But how many of these guys have had a real chance to prove they can/can't do it? It's not a one-year thing. Hester is the only one with consistent playing experience of more than one season.

Also, don't underestimate Aromashodu. The guy can play ... you can quote me on this if you like, I think he's going to breakout in 2010. The only other team he played on (he did not bounce around on practice squads as another poster mentioned) was the Colts. And Reggie Wayne has been raving about his skills since he started playing in Chicago. He simply couldn't find playing time on the loaded WR corps in Indy.

I recall a lot of people saying similar things about the Bears' WR corps heading into last season. Yeah, they didn't set any records last season, but I thought the WRs were the most consistent players on the Bears last season. There were some definite growing pains here and there (Knox not finishing slant routes, in particular), but there's talent with that group.

Give them time to get familiar with Cutler and I expect good things out of this group in 2010.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:

I have season tickets to every Denver game and let me tell you this Cutler wasn't all that great with what some like to call a #1 WR. I still have to ask how in the world do you or anyone else have any idea if we have a #1 WR on this team and if we don't what makes you think we need one. Is it because of how we played last year under our great OC Ron Turner. Did TO make Bills a SB team last year no.

Give me a good O line, a couple of good RBs and some good not great WR and couple of damn good TE and a better then average QB anyday over any #1 WR. Of the 32 NFL teams how many of them have a as you call it a #1 WR.

The only 2 things we really don't about this team is how good the O line is and are the coaches going to be able coach or is Lovie going to try to run the whole show. So you keep your #1 WR and just give me a damn good O line this year and I along with a million other Bear fan will be real happy.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'm with you on the OLine. And for what it's worth, in the last two games of '09, that Bears WR corps and Cutler looked real good with the OLine giving Cutler all the time in the world to find the open man.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Everyone really needs to take a deep breath, step back, and actually realize how much they are overrating the Bears wide outs, because there is no reason any fan should list themselves as "content" with this current corps of receivers.

Devin Hester is built like a slot receiver in that he's quick and he's agile, but he's too fragile and his hands aren't good enough to even be considered an average slot man in the NFL. Add onto that the trouble he had with West Coast Lite and the apparent trouble he is having with Martz's system, and you have yourself a below average receiver.

Knox is almost the exact same player that Hester is: just as dumb but with less experience and similar talent levels. There's not much there, if anything.

Earl Bennett's only real redeeming quality is his catching ability; outside of that, his size, speed, route-running and intelligence are all average at best.

Aromashodu looks the most like an actual NFL WR out of the entire Bears' corps, and his size and speed seem to be around average. Once again, though, his intelligence level is a definite issue (there's a reason it took him so long to see the field, and that reason has nothing to do with Lovie and Crew being utter buffoons), and his hands played a part in him bouncing from practice squad to practice squad since 2006.

There's no reason to be excited about this group. None. Yes, teams have won games, and even Super Bowls, without the help of the best receivers in the game, but I think it would be a bit hard for a team to win regularly with a group of average-at best receivers, which is what the Bears will be attempting to do if things don't change before the start of the season.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Bears WR's are far from ideal. I love them and hope they can produce but I would feel more comfortable with a big name addition.

I think with a solid QB like Cutler, he can make them better but we need more then what we have.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:

Don't you see what Cutler did with a #1 WR in Denver? He won games.

No, he didn't. Cutler was 7-9 in 2007 and 8-8 in 2008.

I'm not knocking Jay. I think he's going to be a great QB and I'm not blaming him for the Broncos lack of success with him. They had lots of other problems.

I don't understand the need for a #1 receiver. I'd be happier to see him pass for 2500 yds to 3 receivers than to pass for 1400 yds to one.

Look at the run game. Would you rather have Forte rush for 1700 yds (by himself) or have Forte and Taylor combine for 2400 yds?

The best running teams have 2 good RBs

I think the Bears can put up very good passing numbers without one great wide receiver as long as the have 3 very good ones.

My concern is not about having a #1 receiver. My concern is whether or not the receivers we have are good enough and can learn Martz's system. I'm afraid his "ball-in-the-air-before-the-receiver-makes-the-cut" style is going to lead to even more interceptions than Jay threw last year.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Everyone really needs to take a deep breath, step back, and actually realize how much they are overrating the Bears wide outs, because there is no reason any fan should list themselves as "content" with this current corps of receivers.

Devin Hester is built like a slot receiver in that he's quick and he's agile, but he's too fragile and his hands aren't good enough to even be considered an average slot man in the NFL. Add onto that the trouble he had with West Coast Lite and the apparent trouble he is having with Martz's system, and you have yourself a below average receiver.

Knox is almost the exact same player that Hester is: just as dumb but with less experience and similar talent levels. There's not much there, if anything.

Earl Bennett's only real redeeming quality is his catching ability; outside of that, his size, speed, route-running and intelligence are all average at best.

Aromashodu looks the most like an actual NFL WR out of the entire Bears' corps, and his size and speed seem to be around average. Once again, though, his intelligence level is a definite issue (there's a reason it took him so long to see the field, and that reason has nothing to do with Lovie and Crew being utter buffoons), and his hands played a part in him bouncing from practice squad to practice squad since 2006.

There's no reason to be excited about this group. None. Yes, teams have won games, and even Super Bowls, without the help of the best receivers in the game, but I think it would be a bit hard for a team to win regularly with a group of average-at best receivers, which is what the Bears will be attempting to do if things don't change before the start of the season.

Well, first off, I wouldn't call Hester fragile. He hasn't been injury prone at all in his career, and I haven't seen him short-arm a ball over the middle yet. Granted, he doesn't do that often. No one's calling him Cris Carter, but I think his hands are solid.

Knox is dumb? Really? Where do you get this information from? I don't see any indication of that. And he's only in his 2nd year, he's got plenty of time to develop. Same with Bennett (I know it's his 3rd year, but he only played one season).

Knox also showed the ability to make moves in the open field with the ball in his hands.

Oh, and Aromashodu was hurt early in the season. That's why it took so long to get him on the field. And just like Knox, I have no idea where you're getting the basis to assert that DA is "dumb."

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I have season tickets to every Denver game and let me tell you this Cutler wasn't all that great with what some like to call a #1 WR.

You mean, except for being 3rd in the NFL in passing yards and in the top-10 in the league for both TD's and adjusted net-yards per attempt in 2008?

I still have to ask how in the world do you or anyone else have any idea if we have a #1 WR on this team and if we don't what makes you think we need one.

Because the title of "best receiver" on this team right now is a toss up between Devin Hester and Johnny fucking Knox, that's how I know. But again, keep in mind that I'm using the term "#1" here as a stand-in for "good" or "decidedly above-average".

Is it because of how we played last year under our great OC Ron Turner.

You seem to forget that EVERY wide receiver on this team had trouble learning and executing the West Coast Offense...even the dumbed-down version they instituted when it became clear that these guys were too stupid to understand the real thing.

Did TO make Bills a SB team last year no.

Apples, meet oranges.

Give me a good O line, a couple of good RBs and some good not great WR and couple of damn good TE and a better then average QB anyday over any #1 WR.

So, basically what you're saying is "my offense filled with above average players at every position will be better than your offense filled with scrubs everywhere save for a superstar WR". Duh. :rolleyes:

The only 2 things we really don't about this team is how good the O line is

Not that good

So you keep your #1 WR and just give me a damn good O line this year and I along with a million other simpletons will be real happy.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do people hate on Bennett? He lead the Bears in YAC (Yards after the catch) and he's the best route runner on the Bears. His hands are solid and he has speed, though not great speed.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Why do people hate on Bennett? He lead the Bears in YAC (Yards after the catch) and he's the best route runner on the Bears. His hands are solid and he has speed, though not great speed.

Agreed.

He's a poor man's Bobby Engram. Give hime more time to develop along with Cutler and he's only going to get better.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Well, first off, I wouldn't call Hester fragile. He hasn't been injury prone at all in his career, and I haven't seen him short-arm a ball over the middle yet. Granted, he doesn't do that often. No one's calling him Cris Carter, but I think his hands are solid.

Oh Lordy Lord, the season is SAVED! Hallelujah!

Knox is dumb? Really? Where do you get this information from?

Well, there's the post game interview clip we play on the show from time to time (can't find it on YouTube, but he makes Devin Hester sound like a world-renowned orator), and the numerous reports that came out of Halas Hall throughout the season of Knox not knowing the plays and routes (and how to run them properly) of the simplified WCO Turner instituted last season.

And he's only in his 2nd year, he's got plenty of time to develop. Same with Bennett (I know it's his 3rd year, but he only played one season).

How much development room are you really going to give to a guy that had trouble understanding and executed the simplified version of the offense the coordinator had to institute because he and his receiving brethren couldn't understand the already non-complex West Coast?

And Bennett has had two years with the playbook. Guess what? Still couldn't learn it.

Knox also showed the ability to make moves in the open field with the ball in his hands.

This has nothing to do with the "receiver" part of "wide receiver".

Oh, and Aromashodu was hurt early in the season. That's why it took so long to get him on the field.

Oh really, that's it? Then what kept him from getting time with the Dolphins, Texans and Redskins?

And just like Knox, I have no idea where you're getting the basis to assert that DA is "dumb."

If you're asking for a link to a story stating this to be so, I don't have one. This is all hearsay stemming from radio guys (Terry Boers, specifically, a surprisingly reliable source most of the time) getting reports from their "guys" in Halas Hall. But even though the play of these receivers and their history does tend to match up with what I'm saying, you wouldn't let that get in your way, would it?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Oh Lordy Lord, the season is SAVED! Hallelujah!

Well, there's the post game interview clip we play on the show from time to time (can't find it on YouTube, but he makes Devin Hester sound like a world-renowned orator), and the numerous reports that came out of Halas Hall throughout the season of Knox not knowing the plays and routes (and how to run them properly) of the simplified WCO Turner instituted last season.

How much development room are you really going to give to a guy that had trouble understanding and executed the simplified version of the offense the coordinator had to institute because he and his receiving brethren couldn't understand the already non-complex West Coast?

And Bennett has had two years with the playbook. Guess what? Still couldn't learn it.

This has nothing to do with the "receiver" part of "wide receiver".

Oh really, that's it? Then what kept him from getting time with the Dolphins, Texans and Redskins?

If you're asking for a link to a story stating this to be so, I don't have one. This is all hearsay stemming from radio guys (Terry Boers, specifically, a surprisingly reliable source most of the time) getting reports from their "guys" in Halas Hall. But even though the play of these receivers and their history does tend to match up with what I'm saying, you wouldn't let that get in your way, would it?

A history of only a few years, save Hester's career.

I can't confirm/deny your accusations on the football IQ of the WRs so I'll have to give that to you. Although I have a hard time believing Boers is a reliable source. Him and Bernstein can choke on their tongues in their sleep tonight.

I'm not saying these guys are all going to be All Stars. I'm saying I've seen flashes of potential, and these are young players. They can develop. They can be good WRs in this league.

And I'm still saying you're underestimating the abilities of Aromashodu. I know I only have a few games to base that assertion on, but I've seen great potential in that limited time.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
You could argue, though, that Brandon Marshall's rise to a #1 WR was thanks in large part to his rapport with Cutler.
Plus 1.

I am a big proponent of the argument that the QB makes a receiver great, not the other way around. Give Cutler some time with these guys and make it work in an actual offense.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think the Bears can put up very good passing numbers without one great wide receiver as long as the have 3 very good ones.

My concern is not about having a #1 receiver. My concern is whether or not the receivers we have are good enough and can learn Martz's system. I'm afraid his "ball-in-the-air-before-the-receiver-makes-the-cut" style is going to lead to even more interceptions than Jay threw last year.
Plus 1 again.

It would have been nice for them to have gone FA shopping for the WR this off season.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
You mean, except for being 3rd in the NFL in passing yards and in the top-10 in the league for both TD's and adjusted net-yards per attempt in 2008?

Because the title of "best receiver" on this team right now is a toss up between Devin Hester and Johnny fucking Knox, that's how I know. But again, keep in mind that I'm using the term "#1" here as a stand-in for "good" or "decidedly above-average".

You seem to forget that EVERY wide receiver on this team had trouble learning and executing the West Coast Offense...even the dumbed-down version they instituted when it became clear that these guys were too stupid to understand the real thing.

Apples, meet oranges.

So, basically what you're saying is "my offense filled with above average players at every position will be better than your offense filled with scrubs everywhere save for a superstar WR". Duh. :rolleyes:

Not that good

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Glad to see you have an opnion, but just like most its not worth a dime.

The question here in Denver over the past few years has always been did Cutler make BM or did BM make Cutler. I guess we will find out this year who can make what out something.

Last edited:

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Glad to see you have an opion, but just like its not worth a dime.

I guess we will find out this year who can make what out something.

Huh? Use your words.

The question here in Denver over the past few years has always been did Cutler make BM or did BM make Cutler.

Why does one have to decidedly "make" the other? Can't they just both be good at what they do? I mean, obviously the two positions can play off of each other and both have an ability to make up for shortcomings in the other (though I'm of the mind that the QB can do more for the WR than the WR can do for the QB, save for maybe an extreme example), but why create an artificial dichotomy of "one was good, the other wasn't good and merely benefiting off the other"?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I agree with this as well. Bennett is my favorite receiver on the Bears and IMO the most reliable. The thing with Bennett is, he's not flashy and thats why people dont like him. He doesnt stretch the field or make ridiculous catches but he's a reliable target. He was money on those WR screens.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I agree with this as well. Bennett is my favorite receiver on the Bears and IMO the most reliable. The thing with Bennett is, he's not flashy and thats why people dont like him. He doesnt stretch the field or make ridiculous catches but he's a reliable target. He was money on those WR screens.

Good thing Martz's offense relies heavily on those screens and not stretch-the-defense routes downfield....oh wait....

Status
Not open for further replies.