The Chicago Cubs will compete in .....

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fine with me.

Choo represents every aspect that is positive for a team moving forward, and hopefully the Cubs feel the same way.

Out of curisousity would a deal in that range still fit your projected payroll of 115 million for that roster?

patg006

Liked Posts:
And the Cubs easily have the money to pay that.

But now here you will start your ridiculousness that Choo should only be signed for 3-4 years at no more than $7M a season or some other nonsense while you claim to not shit all over every single FA suggestion.

I would love Choo like the rest of you, but I truly am expecting something less, like a Grady Sizemore (on his 2 millionth return,) or Corey Hart, another needed handicapped spot who has not seen a pitch in 2013. I could live with Hart if he comes in not missing a beat......

Basically, I'm prepared for the 'injury ward' trend to continue until I'm proven wrong.....

If Feldman keeps pitching this well, keep him. I'd extend him, because like Soriano--we arent going to see a top prospect in return. Extend Garza and Shark, get a new OF (Choo is preferred, but I'm expecting less,) and buy a few god damn bullpen arms.

Boo's plan was magnificent

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fact that most discount Jacoby and are running onto the Choo train illustrates that Choo will be getting a pay day and Jacoby will be looking short term to build value. Thing is we can not predict future success with either. What this will come down to is willingness to invest into a lead off or not. Not who is the sexier player that year. Seeing the track record: better chance they make a lowball offer to Jacoby to be honest. And that is after Jackson flames out as I believe they are hoping Jackson is that guy for the lowest cost. Again remember who is making the deals. Signing Choo going into a payday is improbable.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The Chicago Cubs......... compete..................... in...............................

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
In regards to the OP, I think you're a year early. I hope to see improvement next season, but at best skirt around a .500 record. I think 2015 we can compete for the playoffs, but that's dependent on whether or not the Cubs spend money. After they get the OK to get legit FA (which I don't think there are many next season), Theo & Co. have to make wise decisions -- wiser than they've made to this point. It's not impossible, and I don't even know that it's unlikely, but the recent trend needs to change.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Out of curisousity would a deal in that range still fit your projected payroll of 115 million for that roster?

Considering that 30 million will come off the books with lets say Feldman, Baker, Marmol, Dejesus and a few less notables.

The trade of Soriano would free up some more, and if they took a lesser prospect, they wouldn't have to eat as much, so on the safe side lets say 6 million is freed up, maybe more.

Choo and Garza would be a little back loaded, but not much. Choo 12 million, Garza 10, Utley 3 yrs 9 million per year, Morse 2 yrs 6.5 million per year. Baker on another 5.5 million 1 year contract, Chavez 1 yr 2.5 million maybe.

About 46 million added, 36 million subtracted.

It's barely over the 115 million, and the bullpen still needs some tweaking and help, but lets not think for a minute that this isn't affordable. and maybe the Sanchez's or others picked up on waivers could help. All you have to be is in the hunt at the deadline.

Hell, ticket sales alone would go up and surely the Cubs could swing 125 million if necessary.....don't ya think?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Boo when I said not to grossly over pay, just meant it as for them not over bidding more then they need too in yrs and money IE edwiin ackson then they need too.

I agree they have more then enough money to spend on FAs this off season and I hope and expect to see them spending on guys that going to be a part of the core going forward and not guys they can flip.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They are not going to shed anything off of Sori's deal. The best bet is to sit on it and use that 18 mil opening to sign a top of the rotation (Price)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But the Chavez/Reynolds 3B...come on now. No they won't do that. Try Vitters/Valbuena and u might win the prize. I think you are expecting too much. What I believe happens is Bryant will be on the team in 14. Soler soon after with Almora soon following. (As in he is ripping A ball a new ass and they are not going to be able to keep him on the slow ride). Baez is explosive but lacks in OBA. I do not believe he ends up on the team and will be used in trade bait while his value is peaking. Sorry S. he goes against the OBA mantra. As does Castro to be honest. I doubt they go through it again. ESP. After they just got rid of Sori's low OBA.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Considering that 30 million will come off the books with lets say Feldman, Baker, Marmol, Dejesus and a few less notables.

The trade of Soriano would free up some more, and if they took a lesser prospect, they wouldn't have to eat as much, so on the safe side lets say 6 million is freed up, maybe more.

Choo and Garza would be a little back loaded, but not much. Choo 12 million, Garza 10, Utley 3 yrs 9 million per year, Morse 2 yrs 6.5 million per year. Baker on another 5.5 million 1 year contract, Chavez 1 yr 2.5 million maybe.

About 46 million added, 36 million subtracted.

It's barely over the 115 million, and the bullpen still needs some tweaking and help, but lets not think for a minute that this isn't affordable. and maybe the Sanchez's or others picked up on waivers could help. All you have to be is in the hunt at the deadline.

Hell, ticket sales alone would go up and surely the Cubs could swing 125 million if necessary.....don't ya think?

I was just asking to see the math on the 115 million dollar payroll. It seems like Choo and Reynolds are likely to get overpaid given the years they've had combined with markets, and I just was wondering how the math worked out.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh, to trade Baez its going to have to take someone special. He is still considered the Cubs top prospect and will most likely challenge for a top 5 prospect spot barring injury or huge slump according to what I am reading. Im not saying they wouldnt trade him, but it would have to be a mega deal. I know its a pipe dream, but I know the front office is still dreaming of an IF of Bryant, Castro, Baez, and Rizzo. I know odds are against all of them performing, but talent alone makes that IF scary.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I was just asking to see the math on the 115 million dollar payroll. It seems like Choo and Reynolds are likely to get overpaid given the years they've had combined with markets, and I just was wondering how the math worked out.

There are countless ways and scenarios to make it work in my opinion and everyone can do their own line-ups, but in the end, management has to want to do it.

We know the farm has been addressed repeatedly (not saying it didn't need it) and it will be again next year.

I feel that the focus on the Cubs needs to be addressed this off-season and not with just 2nd stringers and middle of the rotation pitchers.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
This post made me :lol:

Sent from my Gopher hole using Tapatalk

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I think we are looking at 2015 at the absolute best case scenario. Most likely 2016-2017. Really depends on how they start approaching free agency. If they are aggressive with guys many of you have mentioned like Choo or even Ellsbury and others over the next 2 years the the process may speed up a year or so. As for the guys in the minors, I have to see it to believe it. Not all our top guys will reach their potential.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we are looking at 2015 at the absolute best case scenario. Most likely 2016-2017. Really depends on how they start approaching free agency. If they are aggressive with guys many of you have mentioned like Choo or even Ellsbury and others over the next 2 years the the process may speed up a year or so. As for the guys in the minors, I have to see it to believe it. Not all our top guys will reach their potential.

They dont have to. They have to be used right. Whether it be trade or stay with the team. The Cubs are probably going to sit around 6 or so players in the top 100. Baez, Soler, Bryant, Almora are for sure. Alcantara, Vizcaino, are going to be close. This is really good for trades and going after the Ace the Cubs will no doubtly want soon. The pitching rotation stays together. The Cubs can get enough offense to compete. Im not saying world series bound. Im saying going after .500 with an outside shot at the second wild card.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I know its a pipe dream, but I know the front office is still dreaming of an IF of Bryant, Castro, Baez, and Rizzo. I know odds are against all of them performing, but talent alone makes that IF scary.

You aren't as bad as many around here are, but you are getting WAY ahead of things here.

The two IF's that are already at the major league level are performing league average at best.

Baez is in High A ball and Bryant hasn't even signed yet.

There is a massive ways to go before the Chicago Cubs major league infield is scary.

Heck let's wait till even one of these guys is performing at an above average level and preferably three of them before we proclaim the IF scary.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Have to see for sure. I just hope they sign Bryant quick. Boise is starting up on Fri and wouldn't mode starting to track him. Other then that I don't expect much until after the trade deadline. Expecting to promote to Iowa: Szczur, Silva, Alcentra. To Tenn: Andreol, Soler, Baez, Geiger (1B). Daytona: Almora, Shoulders, Vogelbach. Wouldn't be surprised if Bryant finishes off the year at 3B here.