The Crawford Dilemma: Sign or Walk Away?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I still think we will need a serviceable goalie, even if the goal is to rebuild. You can't just throw throw out guys like Lankinen, Delia, or Subban every game -- especially with this team, you'll get lit up 10-2 every night. That said, if Crawford still can't decide, I agree -- you might just have to let him walk at this point. It's hard to believe that Crow's plan is to not test free agency at this point, so just let him.
Exactly. If Stan wants the G-corps to be Delia, Lankinen, and Subban we're looking at the 2nd half of 2018 all over again woth how old and decrepit the Team D is.

I'd like at least a vet backup for when the team d shits itself. But Stan Knows Best </durple>

Granada

Liked Posts:
You gotta wonder if this is finally the beginning move that brings it all down. The writing may finally be on the wall now for the remaining veterans, and I don't think guys like Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabs will want to stick around anymore.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You gotta wonder if this is finally the beginning move that brings it all down. The writing may finally be on the wall now for the remaining veterans, and I don't think guys like Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabs will want to stick around anymore.

Maybe what I proposed earlier will come to pass.....Kaner still has big time value in this league, Toews to a lesser extent. The Toews contract will be hard to move but I'll bet there are more than a few GM's that would love to add a Patrick Kane to their club. Keith can still play and his contract at this point in time is not that crazy.....if you can find a way to move those three, I highly doubt Seabs will want to come back to what will almost certainly be a cellar dweller team.

I forgot to add that I still don't think they have the right guy doing this. Even if those thing come to pass, you need to get young players with a high upside in return plus some picks....the picks can be used to either draft kids or incentives to move up the draft board. I just don't trust Bowman to do this with out fucking it up.

Last edited:

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Maybe what I proposed earlier will come to pass.....Kaner still has big time value in this league, Toews to a lesser extent. The Toews contract will be hard to move but I'll bet there are more than a few GM's that would love to add a Patrick Kane to their club. Keith can still play and his contract at this point in time is not that crazy.....if you can find a way to move those three, I highly doubt Seabs will want to come back to what will almost certainly be a cellar dweller team.

I forgot to add that I still don't think they have the right guy doing this. Even if those thing come to pass, you need to get young players with a high upside in return plus some picks....the picks can be used to either draft kids or incentives to move up the draft board. I just don't trust Bowman to do this with out fucking it up.

Kane's value relative to his cap hit is neutral, so it can be moved but only as a salary dump.

Toews and Keith have cap hits in excess of their current values, we would have to add value to move them or take on new liabilities.

We are boxed in until 2024, let the contracts run out and expire while quasi-tanking. We need to be patient and pay the price for Stan's buffoonery. Hopefully by 2024 we are rid of Stan and all his negative-value player contracts.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. If Stan wants the G-corps to be Delia, Lankinen, and Subban we're looking at the 2nd half of 2018 all over again woth how old and decrepit the Team D is.

I'd like at least a vet backup for when the team d shits itself. But Stan Knows Best </durple>
The upside is maybe this will finally get Stan fired when the "growing pains" are breaking goals against records and the fans finally tune out.

Crow should be grooming the best of Delia/Lahntenen for the next two years, or should I say carrying them, and Suppan should not be here, but whatever. Stan gonna finally Stan himself out of a job.

To me this might end up meaning Kane/Toews/Saad/Keith are all traded before the deadline. Unless Delia or Lahtenen bust out in a big way, this could be the full nuclear fire sale we discussed.

Its clear Stan shouldn't be allowed to manage the assets gained though, so IDK how hopeful I can get.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Unless the plan is lure one of these big FA here on a short term deal. I’m not sure what is happening with the direction of the team.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Unless the plan is lure one of these big FA here on a short term deal. I’m not sure what is happening with the direction of the team.
Hawks don’t need a big free agent signing, the Hawks need to tear this this team down and restart. If your not sure of the direction it’s rather easy to see, Stan is in total control and is going to build a dynast, of garbage for the next 10 years and bring this team back to the dark days like it once was from 1997-2006

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Thank you CC , you were definitely under appreciated in the eyes of many around the NHL, you never got the fame like many other goaltenders mainly because of the team assembled around you. 2013 Hawks don’t win if not for you(just take a look at that triple overtime win versus the Bruins, CC at his best.
I was very fortunate to be able to party with CC in 2013 in his hometown of Chateauguay Quebec, a mutual friend who knew CC had invited me to a private party where he had the Stanley Cup. He is a tremendous person, great father, husband family man and was dedicated to the Indian Head and the Chicago Blackhawks. He will be missed like many other great Hawks that eventually moved on. once again thank you CC, this is all on Stan, he single handily destroyed this team.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kane's value relative to his cap hit is neutral, so it can be moved but only as a salary dump.

Toews and Keith have cap hits in excess of their current values, we would have to add value to move them or take on new liabilities.

We are boxed in until 2024, let the contracts run out and expire while quasi-tanking. We need to be patient and pay the price for Stan's buffoonery. Hopefully by 2024 we are rid of Stan and all his negative-value player contracts.

Hmm. Not to sound too Ommie like but I'm not buying it. Salary wise, Kane is no longer a top 5, not a top 10 or even a top 20. I believe he is like 27th now. He's putting up offensive numbers that are near what players making twice his pay are doing. Plus he plays young, doesn't sound to me like a guy who is anywhere near being overpaid. Keith is a bit different....he's only making a tad over league average. I would think a deadline deal to a contender in need of a dman would work out well for both parties. Toews might be the one who is closer to exceeding his value where the Hawks would need to take some his salary on.....although he still does a lot for this team.

Last edited:

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Hmm. Not to sound too Ommie like but I'm not buying it. Salary wise, Kane is no longer a top 5, not a top 10 or even a top 20. I believe he is like 27th now. He's putting up offensive numbers that are near what players making twice his pay are doing. Plus he plays young, doesn't sound to me like a guy who is anywhere near being overpaid. Keith is a bit different....he's only making a tad over league average. I would think a deadline deal to a contender in need of a dman would work out well for both parties. Toews might be the one who is closer to exceeding his value where the Hawks would need to take some his salary on.....although he still does a lot for this team.

That's quite a bit hyperbolic, I mean no one in the NHL is close to making 2x what Kane does - it's not a thing.

I'm a huge Kane fan as are most Hawks fans, and here's how I see it: he is an elite offense player, but is definitely not a plus D player. He is turning 32 years old next month, his best hockey is not ahead of him, and he carries a $10.5mm annual cap hit.

I think he is worth $10.5mm, but I don't think his value is at or above say $12.5mm. Therefore, I deduce that his contract is about neutral and would not bring back any significant assets in a trade.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
And goodbye Corey. ENd of an era
I think he has enough in the tank to keep going somewhere, but honestly it wouldn't suprise me after the career he's had and the number of years he's been in one place, if he just retired and called it a day. Unless he needs the money which I doubt, what more does he need to do? Unless he is just really that competitve or wants to try to take a run at padding some stats to get into the hall conversation.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I think he has enough in the tank to keep going somewhere, but honestly it wouldn't suprise me after the career he's had and the number of years he's been in one place, if he just retired and called it a day. Unless he needs the money which I doubt, what more does he need to do? Unless he is just really that competitve or wants to try to take a run at padding some stats to get into the hall conversation.
He is an athlete and like many, he wants one more try to raise Lord Stanley.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's quite a bit hyperbolic, I mean no one in the NHL is close to making 2x what Kane does - it's not a thing.

I'm a huge Kane fan as are most Hawks fans, and here's how I see it: he is an elite offense player, but is definitely not a plus D player. He is turning 32 years old next month, his best hockey is not ahead of him, and he carries a $10.5mm annual cap hit.

I think he is worth $10.5mm, but I don't think his value is at or above say $12.5mm. Therefore, I deduce that his contract is about neutral and would not bring back any significant assets in a trade.

My bad. For some odd reason Forbes added endorsements into their pay. So it's clearly not double but there are a bunch of guys making $14-16 mil which is considerably higher. As stated, he does play younger than his age so he's probably got 3-4 good years left. Regardless, they need to move these guys asap if they want to get something out of them.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
He is an athlete and like many, he wants one more try to raise Lord Stanley.
Sure, many. But many also lose passion for the game as it's ground out of them by the business and the fans but have nothing else to do to make money because they sacrificed everything for the game and have no alternative to make money. Not saying this is Corey but just as easily could be, and him having cups is a much better outcome than many other the other players in his position. At some point his health has to be considered too for a guy with concussion and other issues.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Crawford, the guy who stole the last two games in the Oilers series and kept them in when they were over their heads against vegas gone.

Maatta and Kookoo, the best pairing they had since the middle of February both gone.

Maybe Stan is blowing it up.

This would be a good year to do it. You have three great prospects next year in the draft that will be big time players. One, Aatu Raty, not only has a cool name but is a faster version of Toews who can't play with kids his age any more because he's too dominant.

Plus the last Hughes brother is in next year's draft. Defenseman, biggest one of the bunch, great skater as usual and is touted as the best Hughes brother by the other two.

Finally blow it up? Good

What I think will happen? They sign a washed up Cory Schneider which will be Cam Ward all over again.

I just don't see Stan blowing it up unless Rocky tells him it's time to.

He might, tho. Limited capacity games and Lord knows the hit the pandemic has done to his liquor distribution.

And for the record, Kane, Toews, and Keith have value. Your going to take cap hits back, but those three can still net you draft picks and prospects along with bad contracts to even out the money. There isn't a single team in the NHL who wouldnt take Kane or Toews.

As for Keith, he still gets a first round pick at the trade deadline, and if he doesn't, you don't trade the guy.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crawford, the guy who stole the last two games in the Oilers series and kept them in when they were over their heads against vegas gone.

Maatta and Kookoo, the best pairing they had since the middle of February both gone.

Maybe Stan is blowing it up.

This would be a good year to do it. You have three great prospects next year in the draft that will be big time players. One, Aatu Raty, not only has a cool name but is a faster version of Toews who can't play with kids his age any more because he's too dominant.

Plus the last Hughes brother is in next year's draft. Defenseman, biggest one of the bunch, great skater as usual and is touted as the best Hughes brother by the other two.

Finally blow it up? Good

What I think will happen? They sign a washed up Cory Schneider which will be Cam Ward all over again.

I just don't see Stan blowing it up unless Rocky tells him it's time to.

He might, tho. Limited capacity games and Lord knows the hit the pandemic has done to his liquor distribution.

And for the record, Kane, Toews, and Keith have value. Your going to take cap hits back, but those three can still net you draft picks and prospects along with bad contracts to even out the money. There isn't a single team in the NHL who wouldnt take Kane or Toews.

As for Keith, he still gets a first round pick at the trade deadline, and if he doesn't, you don't trade the guy.

I thought Keith looked refreshed after the break and played us into games while covering for a nightly bum. Keith/Crow snuffed the Oilers.

Team Chicago

Liked Posts:
Crawford signs with the Devils. The guy can still play if he stays healthy, guess the tank era is officially upon us.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Crawford signs with the Devils. The guy can still play if he stays healthy, guess the tank era is officially upon us.
I mentioned in another thread, this is about $$$ and CC trying to take advantage of Stan, the offer was there at 3.5, CC said no and Staniel stood his ground. 2 years/8 million Hawks don’t need that hit with there current situation.