The Development of Bobby Portis

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A big man who is able to do "big man" things and shoot the three like any typical "small" in the NBA needs to do in order to be effective at his position is an insanely rare and valuable thing to have.

We might have two of those guys in Nikola Mirotic and Bobby Portis.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do cut him slack. I love Noah...but I can't ignore what I see. There were rumors his knee was bone on bone. He's a big that relies on hustle and athleticism. He looks to be moving slightly better than last year in the playoffs, but as the season goes on and he logs more minutes, I would wager that he gradually looks less and less effective. He gives us practically nothing on offense and I think at this point he's merely a solid/slightly above average defender and rebounder. Heart is great, but you have to produce on the court to really make an impact. I hope I'm wrong and he bounced bAck and looks good in the playoffs I'd just be surprised.

That is fair.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A big man who is able to do "big man" things and shoot the three like any typical "small" in the NBA needs to do in order to be effective at his position is an insanely rare and valuable thing to have.

We might have two of those guys in Nikola Mirotic and Bobby Portis.
its fair to include McBuckets in that group as he was a PF in college and is a tweener with some inside moves and physical scoring

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
its fair to include McBuckets in that group as he was a PF in college and is a tweener with some inside moves and physical scoring

The difference with McBuckets is he is not a natural big man. He's not a good enough rebounder or defensive player to be effective in that position.

I'm thinking about players who are big who are dominant against most other big men yet have qualities that typically only smaller players possess like ball-handling, three-point, shooting, and facilitating.

Portis and Mirotic have the potential to be in that category, and that is extremely important to the Bulls' future. Portis is showing himself to be a great rebounder andcan already somewhat hold his own on the defensive end. Mirotic has ways to go in terms of defense, but he can average a solid block per game and is a sufficient rebounder, while stretching out his defender all the way out to the three-point line with pretty good ball-handling ability at his height. McBuckets is a perimeter oriented player who relies on finesse. It doesn't mean that he can't be an effective four at some point, but I don't think you can rely on him to play at a big position against every line-up or for every minute of the game. Especially if you're worried about rebounds and other intangibles needed at the 4 spot.

If Mirotic pans out to be anywhere near as valuable as Mehmet Okur was, I'd take it. If Bobby Portis develops into HALF the player KG was, I'd take it.