The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

supraman

Liked Posts:
I dont know much about soccer but I will say Ronaldinho has broken the laws of physics with what he can do dribbling. That is the only way I can explain what he's done with the ball, he broke physics.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont know much about soccer but I will say Rohilindo (whatever the fuck it is, you all know who I am talking about) has broken the laws of physics with what he can do dribbling. That is the only way I can explain what he's done with the ball, he broke physics.

Stylistically, he is also my favorite of the "premier" ball handlers. You should see some of the footage when he was like 10, it is exactly the same. Sucks that he is playing for a Brazil team that isnt in the Champions, now I cant watch him. I also like his attitude the best of the "premier"s too. He always has a smile on his face, like he knows that he has the privilege to be a kid for the rest of his life.

The one I love right now is Fellaini with Everton (my favorite of the Premier league). Although he is more an attacking mid then forward, this guy is gonna get Everton into the Champions league (if he will stay).

Oh, somewhat related and kind of a cool side note, Tim Howard, USA keeper will be the ones to lead em into Champions. He has been VERY good since United f'd em a few years back. Howard is one of the RARE US keepers and the only US (I think) playing with serious clubs.

supraman

Liked Posts:
One day we won't be the Special person kids when it comes to soccer.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One day we won't be the Special person kids when it comes to soccer.

HA! Well, the WOMEN sure arent. the US women dominate international play and continue to do so!

Soccer just....doesnt work as a spectator sport in this country. Which is also odd because it is the most popular sport played in this country for kids under 15. Although soccer was SO close in the 70's with Pele, Furphy, and MY favorite: The Super Arrogant, HUGE headed, the only man to EVER call Pele "average": Chinagilia!! WHOO!!

It really is just a difference in culture. The best description I have heard to describe soccer from a sports writer, that expands on soccer's nickname as the "Theater of Chance": <paraphrase> "A football match is like a 2-Act play. The first Act is played with no interruptions, you have your intermission to get treats and talk about the first Act a bit, then in for the 2nd Act of the play. "

There is no sport like this in the US. Every game has very distinct stoppages in play, and designed to be this way. US audiences cannot fathom watching a 2 hour sporting event to end in a 0 - 0 tie. And for a game where all you have to do is kick a ball into a net that is 8 feet by 11 feet, it is the most complex professional game in my opinion, for the same reason a game like Go will never be played the same way twice.

I am actually surprised more hockey fans arent soccer fans. The same complexity you have in hockey are increased exponentially in soccer.

This is not to be a pro or con for US sports fans or US culture in general, but as US sports fans, we need to see many offensive chances, many shots, high scores, etc. If you look at the history of sports and their rules, the US does a great deal to attempt to force these endeavors in their sports: 3 pt line, Icing and their changes, shot clocks, changes in field of play, etc. When you look at soccer, the changes made throughout history are not vast at all. The field of play is very simple and hasnt changed much. There are seldom major rule changes outside of some tweaks. (Although it quite true that soccer off-sides is the most complicated rule IN ALL OF SPORTS {and needs to be}, so maybe that is enough for soccer).

This is certainly more of a con, but another huge reason is simple: The USA cant stand to lose in international play. We cant understand why countries like Spain, England, and Brazil dominate and cant understand how losing by only 1 goal to Italy is a HUGE "victory" for US soccer.

We were close again when the World Cup is hosted in the States, but until we field a team that beats all these countries we look down upon, it will never pick up.

Speaking of, a funny video on what US coverage of soccer would look like if it WAS popular:

http://www.justaguything.com/wanna-...occer-cause-if-we-did-it-would-look-like-this

supraman

Liked Posts:
I know enough basics to watch a game and have a general idea of whats going on however I don't understand the finer points of the game so I admit it i cannot appreciate a 0-0 game. Now hockey, 0-0 goalie battle? Sign me the fuck up but I get the game, I understand a lot of the complexities to the game. So I can appreciate a defensive struggle in a hockey game. But yeah soccer show me the offense and being a fat dumb american (I said it not you) I need to see some god damn patriotic offense.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know enough basics to watch a game and have a general idea of whats going on however I don't understand the finer points of the game so I admit it i cannot appreciate a 0-0 game. Now hockey, 0-0 goalie battle? Sign me the fuck up but I get the game, I understand a lot of the complexities to the game. So I can appreciate a defensive struggle in a hockey game. But yeah soccer show me the offense and being a fat dumb american (I said it not you) I need to see some god damn patriotic offense.

HA! I hear ya. And I do hate soccer fans that hold an elitist view of their fan-dom, where soccer is superior and more intellectual, blah blah. But what is true is we as a culture, are not patient people. We dont want to sit in our seats or have to pay attention to the whole of the game to enjoy it. We need the breaks in action. For example, my father, I asked him why he didnt like hockey, when he was a HUGE basketball athlete and fan his whole life and both sports are incredibly similar.

"Because in hockey, I cant even look away! At any second they may score."

Hockey as well is a bit of Theater of Chance as well.

Soccer, ironically, is just like this. You cant look away. Contrary to popular belief, soccer like hockey, can change in one shift, or in soccer, one well placed long ball. Now, with the NHL around, the most of my time was spent watching hockey, arguably a sport I understand less since I never played any type of truly competitive hockey at any level. With soccer, I was a Ref qualified to do college matches as long as a player since the age of 6 until my late teens in competitive play. But given the choice, I will watch hockey, so I dont want to come off as a snotty nose-lifter as a soccer fan.

US culture tends to hold a... very short attention span. When I watch a soccer match, like in hockey, I am immersed for every game I watch. Some are better than others. Each match though has its own highs and lows and impossible to predict, like hockey.

Take last week... Manchester United (best team in Premier, top 5 in world) is playing Reading (always last or next to last) in Premier league play. United has already qualified for their Champions spot so all the A players are playing for them. Redding... doesnt really HAVE an A or B team. Redding has NEVER beaten ManU in over 100 years of the league. Never beaten them. This would be like Hawks playing Hogs.

They start the match. Redding strikes first with a goal in the 7th minute. WHAT!!! Well NOW I am into it. But ManU always gives up the first goal and they usually turn it on once they are losing. Here is true as well, they equalize in the 15th minute. 1 - 1. In the 17th minute, ManU gets a penalty and easily makes it 2 - 1 and true to form, he goes United...

BUT WAIT! 2 minutes later, Redding strikes back and ties it up! UNHEARD OF! Rarely does ManU concede 2 goals... and in less than 20 minutes? Redding goes on and scored AGAIN in less than 4 minutes. 3 - 2 Redding... ManU gets mad though and with the 2 of the best players in the world, pocket 3 and 4 for United, 4 - 3 ManU in under 40 minutes. ManU went on to win as expected.

But in the Theater of Chance, who knows? That is part of the fun... To see a controlled match, to work for a goal, then to see it go is just incredible. But that is not a mentality of US culture. In soccer, you commonly hear: "Did they win?" "No, but they played incredible football." The play is just as important as the finish.

For me? I dont like modern basketball. 3pt shot line, and I swear we are not far from a 4pt one...
<
No team play, everything is man to man (to the point zone D is penalized!). But old school basketball is boring to the masses. We dont want to see a team move the ball with 5 passes before a smart shot, we want some massive man barreling down the lane with some behind the back dunk.

It is just too bad... and the same thing I say to sports fans that dont like hockey... Once you get to know the sport, you have little choice but to love it. I feel that way about soccer too.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
HA! Is that who you are watching this Champions? They will most definitely move on. I think Shakhtar is going to take the group, but I always enjoy watching Juv play, REAL easy on the eyes. Considering Chelsea has just fallen apart and the Nords, well, they are just happy to be there, it should be easy sailing. I will be interested to see if Chelsea brings the A team to Champions or scrubs to try and hold on to their domestic before it slips through their fingers.

Yah been Juventus fan for a long time. My fav striker of all time was Del Piero and I love GiGi Bufon so Juventus was a no brainer when I was searching for a club team (before that I was sort of a free agent fan). Serie A is the league I watched the most growing up so I grew an appreciation for Italian style of football. Pissed off my household was pretty anti Serie a and pro Premiership. "cheap diving Italians" I heard all the time. "Non defensive playing tea drinking pussies" was always my reply.

I actually should be a Milan fan because Paolo Maldini is probably my favorite footballer ever. Greatest defender I have ever seen play by a long shot. I enjoy defensive football probably because I played fullback and keeper positions when I played so I grew an appreciation for the difficulty of defending.

Lots of big games tomorrow.

I think one of the reasons I love football so much is because unlike all other pro games euro football has pretty much never really changed. Although it certainly needs some instant replay changes as its due. But really what game can you say over years and years has pretty much stayed constant within it's rules and how it's played? I respect that and as a fan it makes it easier to compare players past and present to each other. Only thing that has really changed is the ball and the cleates. (ball changes have had big impacts though..so..its open to debate)

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yah been Juventus fan for a long time. My fav striker of all time was Del Piero and I love GiGi Bufon so Juventus was a no brainer when I was searching for a club team (before that I was sort of a free agent fan). Serie A is the league I watched the most growing up so I grew an appreciation for Italian style of football. Pissed off my household was pretty anti Serie a and pro Premiership. "cheap diving Italians" I heard all the time. "Non defensive playing tea drinking pussies" was always my reply.

I actually should be a Milan fan because Paolo Maldini is probably my favorite footballer ever. Greatest defender I have ever seen play by a long shot. I enjoy defensive football probably because I played fullback and keeper positions when I played so I grew an appreciation for the difficulty of defending.

Lots of big games tomorrow.

I think one of the reasons I love football so much is because unlike all other pro games euro football has pretty much never really changed. Although it certainly needs some instant replay changes as its due. But really what game can you say over years and years has pretty much stayed constant within it's rules and how it's played? I respect that and as a fan it makes it easier to compare players past and present to each other. Only thing that has really changed is the ball and the cleates. (ball changes have had big impacts though..so..its open to debate)

GIGI!!! Talk about a living legend. That guy...SICK! It is like watching Mr Fantastic.. it is like he always finds that last 2 inches... I was always a Baggio fan. He was right when I was a senior in high school. We used to watch games with old school sat dishes in the neighborhood.

I too would bitch at the diving WOPs, I admit. I also dont get as many Serie A games either, but do get a bunch of Premier and a pub not far has all the Everton games.

I cannot keep my eyes off of Dortmund this year. Their play this Champions has been beautiful, so much fun to watch. I am also an Ajax fan; I love their style of play with pure mid-field domination and their confidence with their passing plays. But they got wrecked this Champs, as they would, they dont have the depth or the solid finishing this year, but damn fine football to watch. I am an Arsenal fan, but a bigger Everton fan so this year I like the Guns, hoping that Everton qualifies for their spot

Ooo, see we have a Roy vs Broduer... Cause.... I gotta go with Beckenbauer. But only because when I learned how to play, it was from a german national whose son I was real good friends with and I also played D. Man, I loved those Cup when w Germany dominated. That was out neighborhood athlete games... German National Team. I would be over at his house and that father loved that man. "You seez dere! Dere! OffaSIDES! You push dee ines..." But certainly, you and I are both 100% correct with the greatest D man of all time.

That was the point I was driving too. It doesnt change. The rules dont change. What only changes is offsides rule which is so minor and pointless and political it is like Superman vs Silver Surfer. My biggest gripe, which they REALLY are slowly cracking down on, Diving. But with the autocard for dives and lockdown of cards and banning, it has really tapered off. The rest of the non-card diving is just players I hate instead of the sport... <cough> TORRES <cough>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Beckenbaur is the second greatest. I too enjoy German football. Second fav national team is Germany. They used to show bundesliga on pbs when i grew up on sundays i loved it.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beckenbaur is the second greatest. I too enjoy German football. Second fav national team is Germany. They used to show bundesliga on pbs when i grew up on sundays i loved it.

Ha! Thankfully the second spot will always belong to Maldini. Because Becks is more... white.... I dunno... it is like watching Hulk and Juggernaut fight...

HELL YES THEY DID! I wish I could see more Bundesliga. I love "german" style football: The very nature of Prussian mentality and their football shows it. It most resonated with me and how I learned the game; Positioning over skill, efficiency over panache, the front line moves back, you all move back, defense first: The worst you can do is a draw... Toss in the Dutch passing game and calm and to me, you have perfect football.

God I loved that 1990 World Cup German Squad... I bet I could almost name every man on that roster... what a squad. And that was when Primadonn...er...Maradona lost and that was always worth it.

Ahhh, feels so good to fill in all the crap I used hockey to fill in... Still love ya Herb...

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Well we have our 16 teams in champions league for the round of 16 now. It's going to be fun.

http://www.goal.com/...ce=breakingnews

I'm thrilled that Celtic advanced. Gotta love the hard grinding Scotts teams from a very poor league and the dark horse they always carry with them. A few real dark horses in the round of 16 with the usual survivors (minus Chelsea hehehehehehe).

The round of 16 is my fav part of Champions League. There are going to be upsets!!!

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Ha! Thankfully the second spot will always belong to Maldini. Because Becks is more... white.... I dunno... it is like watching Hulk and Juggernaut fight...

HELL YES THEY DID! I wish I could see more Bundesliga. I love "german" style football: The very nature of Prussian mentality and their football shows it. It most resonated with me and how I learned the game; Positioning over skill, efficiency over panache, the front line moves back, you all move back, defense first: The worst you can do is a draw... Toss in the Dutch passing game and calm and to me, you have perfect football.

God I loved that 1990 World Cup German Squad... I bet I could almost name every man on that roster... what a squad. And that was when Primadonn...er...Maradona lost and that was always worth it.

Ahhh, feels so good to fill in all the crap I used hockey to fill in... Still love ya Herb...

Dutch football is amazing yet so hart breaking for the Dutch. I too love a Dutch/Germany match up. The styles compliment each other perfectly. YES that 1990 Germany team was outstanding!! I would put that team up against the recent Spain team as my modern dream match up. I'm not sure if there has ever been a better football squad than the Spain Euro/World cup winning squad but that German team comes close. You have guys on the bench for Spain who are starting roster players on every other nations team. Incredible from the keeper out and a perfectly managed team. They are going to be favorites the next World Cup and could possibly repeat to go along with their Euro repeat. Historical team.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
MON THE HOOPS!!!

I am very new to this game. I am just barely paying attention. But I am rooting for the Bhoys. I don't Celtic is gonna run the table, but I would like to see at least them giving everyone what for.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL Chelsea, first time the defending champion didn't make it to the knock-outs. Fuck Chelsea.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well we have our 16 teams in champions league for the round of 16 now. It's going to be fun.

http://www.goal.com/...ce=breakingnews

I'm thrilled that Celtic advanced. Gotta love the hard grinding Scotts teams from a very poor league and the dark horse they always carry with them. A few real dark horses in the round of 16 with the usual survivors (minus Chelsea hehehehehehe).

The round of 16 is my fav part of Champions League. There are going to be upsets!!!

AHHHH!!! I didnt know the outcome of the Celtic game!!! Sok sok...

BURN CHELSEA BURN!!! DOES IT FEEL GOOD??

LOL Chelsea, first time the defending champion didn't make it to the knock-outs. Fuck Chelsea.

Preach it! Torres = joke. Ruiz = Hippie lazy Brazilian. And you fire Di Matteo?! I love watching Chelsea lose.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can see Dortmund making an upset and their football has been amazing so far. You dont crush the group of death, never losing a game to NOT win it all.... Celtic is my "Cinderella" surprise team for this 16. You beat Barcelona's A team and you deserve some additional glory.

Any word on Messi injury? I just saw an article saying they didnt think it was anything big...

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
MON THE HOOPS!!!

I am very new to this game. I am just barely paying attention. But I am rooting for the Bhoys. I don't Celtic is gonna run the table, but I would like to see at least them giving everyone what for.

Welcome to the Game!

It is easy to root for them. Irish football is always...chaotic. They will crack a ball down field, just cause. They can throw guys off their game real easy while they stand there scratching their heads wondering why. Not to mention they BEAT BARCELONA

supraman

Liked Posts:
I broke Messi....hehehe I start watch soccer, first game I watch he's playing, he gets hurt. Now where is that Ronaldo prick