The Garza Trade

Did you like the trade?

• Total voters

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So, Cubs got Olt, Edwards, Grimm and a PTBNL For Garza.

What do you think? Adding a poll. Use the poll. Be the poll.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So, Cubs got Olt, Edwards, Grimm and a PTBNL For Garza.

What do you think? Adding a poll. Use the poll. Be the poll.

You wanna' use my "poll" baby?

4645-2381-580.jpg

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
And as I posted in the "official" Garza trade thread, considering the contract status, the injury concerns, and the fact that he's miscast in our rotation, I think the Cubs got a more than fair haul for him.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
X,

It might be two PTBNLs.

Depending on what they get out of that guy or two, it could be a really big haul for a two month rental of a #2 starter.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
X,

It might be two PTBNLs.

Depending on what they get out of that guy or two, it could be a really big haul for a two month rental of a #2 starter.

I'm just now reading that. And Ramirez might be part of the PTBNL pool.

Actually have heard that it's "Player A" or "Players B & C"...

That changes some things.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I think it was stupid. We knew it was coming and it still pisses me off. I think we should've just worked out a way to extend him.

Maybe in a few years Theo will look like some kind of mastermind, but right now I want to slap the whole regime with my dick.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think it was stupid. We knew it was coming and it still pisses me off. I think we should've just worked out a way to extend him.

Maybe in a few years Theo will look like some kind of mastermind, but right now I want to slap the whole regime with my dick.

Why do people keep assuming it was a foregone conclusion that Garza was going to stay? There was zero indication that the Cubs and his camp were even in the same zip code as far as an extension is concerned. If the Cubs felt like there was no way he would've came back, why would they not try to maximize his return as a two to three month rental?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Can I vote for the "wait 2 years option"

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Can I vote for the "wait 2 years option"

haha, I left that one out on purpose -- even though I think it's the best answer :lol:

A lot rides on Olt's eyes and Edwards' progression...But given how I don't think Garza had much interest in signing a long-term extension anyway, I'm happy w/ the deal....for now.... :shifty:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'm meh on the deal now. I think its a step forward for the future, but two steps back at the MLB level now.

I'm just worried how Olt has fallen down the ranks the past few years.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am okay with this deal. I don't love it and I don't think Theo fleeced anyone. But I like Olt's skillset. The Ks are worrisome, and I lot people throw out the Brett Jackson comparison. It fails on a couple of levels due to the fact Olt has actually struck out a little bit less but more importantly is the power. Olt has enough pop to overcome that high K% potential while Brett Jackson does not. Grimm might be just a backend of the rotation guy, but he is perhaps the best chance for a legitimate starting pitcher in Iowa now (Arrieta is a huge lottery ticket and Cabrera is intriguing are the only ones even close to Grimm's level). I am curious to see what the PTBNL shakes out to be since it seems like it is going to more legitimate than the usual filler that gets exchanged.

Edwards adds another power arm to the low minors. It is actually starting to fill out with guys that throw heat again after such a lull the past few years.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Cubs did well for 2 month rental. Olt vision problems seem fix. Last 90 days he has OPS over .850. People look at his AVG WAY TO MUCH. He a power guy that takes alot of walks. Grimm interesting in that he has career ERA of 3.07 in minors. Sound like a 4/5 type of SP. Edwards will be interesting to watch cause i worry about his size and him breaking down. The PTBNL sounds like will be RP type of arms which is fine cause as we know bullpen help is needed badly.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm meh on the deal now. I think its a step forward for the future, but two steps back at the MLB level now.

I'm just worried how Olt has fallen down the ranks the past few years.

Olt was still a Top 30 pick going into this season. The issue was identifying what caused the vision issues (it's apparently linked to a tear duct issue, not so much his concussion from over the winter). He has some very interesting skills -- a missile for an arm, solid defense, plus raw power. The strikeouts are scary, but at this point, he'd be a nice option to plug in for the remainder of the year and see exactly where he's at. He's played well since he came back from the DL. I think he'll be a nice piece going forward.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard Fisch is excited that Edwards hasn't given up a home run in 161 IP

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I heard Fisch is excited that Edwards hasn't given up a home run in 161 IP

I think the only other person who's went that long without giving up a home run is Fisch himself.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
To be honest I was disappointed to turn on the Cubs game and see that Matt Garza wasn't pitching. I knew right then and there that he was traded.

I understand that they are in a rebuild mode, but at the same time keeping Garza gets the Cubs closer to winning rather than waiting at least two seasons for these prospects to develop.

Mike Olt is 25 and is batting .200 in the minors. Not to mention that the Cubs have Junior Lake, Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, Josh Vitters as options for third base and the outfield.

CJ Edwards seems like a good pick up, though.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs did alright from what I've read.

Too bad it didn't make sense for Garza to stay a Cub. Obviously a good pitcher and seems like a great locker room guy.