1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think Cubs did well for 2 month rental. Olt vision problems seem fix. Last 90 days he has OPS over .850. People look at his AVG WAY TO MUCH. He a power guy that takes alot of walks. Grimm interesting in that he has career ERA of 3.07 in minors. Sound like a 4/5 type of SP. Edwards will be interesting to watch cause i worry about his size and him breaking down. The PTBNL sounds like will be RP type of arms which is fine cause as we know bullpen help is needed badly.

If you get ANY sort of seal of approval from d3a on a trade for prospects you must have done pretty damn well.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you get ANY sort of seal of approval from d3a on a trade for prospects you must have done pretty damn well.

My 1st choice would have been to resign him but either Garza didnt want to stay or Cubs didnt want to pony up the money which i get since he hasnt pitched full season in 2+ yrs. I get what they doing but would like to start seeing some of these guys at MLB level. Olt is almost 25. Why he going to AAA??? Arrieta is 26. Why he in AAA?? Since team plans on sucking until 2015 just bring them up and play them.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Why do people keep assuming it was a foregone conclusion that Garza was going to stay? There was zero indication that the Cubs and his camp were even in the same zip code as far as an extension is concerned. If the Cubs felt like there was no way he would've came back, why would they not try to maximize his return as a two to three month rental?

Nah, we all knew it was going to happen. I am just saying that I hate that it did. That's all. Maybe we'll just re-sign him next year.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
My 1st choice would have been to resign him but either Garza didnt want to stay or Cubs didnt want to pony up the money which i get since he hasnt pitched full season in 2+ yrs. I get what they doing but would like to start seeing some of these guys at MLB level. Olt is almost 25. Why he going to AAA??? Arrieta is 26. Why he in AAA?? Since team plans on sucking until 2015 just bring them up and play them.

If the plan is to suck, then you are right, Arrieta would go a long way towards helping that cause :cubstroll:

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
We didn't fleece them, but a decent deal for a 2 month rental who let's be honest isn't a No. 1 and on many rotations a No. 2 pitcher. We did ok.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am okay with this deal. I don't love it and I don't think Theo fleeced anyone. But I like Olt's skillset. The Ks are worrisome, and I lot people throw out the Brett Jackson comparison. It fails on a couple of levels due to the fact Olt has actually struck out a little bit less but more importantly is the power. Olt has enough pop to overcome that high K% potential while Brett Jackson does not. Grimm might be just a backend of the rotation guy, but he is perhaps the best chance for a legitimate starting pitcher in Iowa now (Arrieta is a huge lottery ticket and Cabrera is intriguing are the only ones even close to Grimm's level). I am curious to see what the PTBNL shakes out to be since it seems like it is going to more legitimate than the usual filler that gets exchanged.

Edwards adds another power arm to the low minors. It is actually starting to fill out with guys that throw heat again after such a lull the past few years.

Olt at the dish reminds me of Mark Reynolds with a little less power but better contact.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i liked the deal..

i look at it this way.. the cubs had 3 choices

1. resign him.. for whatever reason they didnt agree on a deal, so that option was gone

2. keep him and make a qualifying offer and get a draft pick (they felt it was a better option to deal and get better prospects now )

3. trade him to a team that offered the most or most quality in retun

the cubs chose option 3, and it seems that the rangers probably had the best package to offer

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Garza was likely not going to be on the roster after this season. That's the reason to like the trade. They got several very good prospects out of the deal. Sometimes you have to make chicken salad out of chicken poop. This was one of those times and I will be very surprised if a couple of these players don't help the MLB club eventually.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
No doubt, but that's his peak. Who knows if he gets there

A near 30% k rate in the minors is a huge red flag for that. I mean Reynolds the year before being called up only struck out 20% in AA. That said I like the near ready player in Olt that could provide a legitimate power threat to the lineup. I've loved the idea of sliding Valbuena over to second base where his bat will play up a ton.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Happy with the return but hate to see Garza go.

As I have stated time and time again. Whatever it takes to speed this mess up.

Theo's claim all along was to rebuild the farm, and now with that more than well-on-its-way, the increasing possibility of Soriano being dealt, a definite top 3-4 pick again in the draft next year, there are going to be no excuses what-so-ever to ignore the parent club.

When you take guys like Dempster, Garza, Soriano and a host of others off of the roster, people don't line up and buy tickets to watch "Barney & Friends" play baseball.

It's time to start making some long-term free agent moves this off-season, and one that wouldn't hurt is to outbid everyone for the Cuban, Miguel Gonzalez. :popcorn:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As I have stated time and time again. Whatever it takes to speed this mess up.

Theo's claim all along was to rebuild the farm, and now with that more than well-on-its-way, the increasing possibility of Soriano being dealt, a definite top 3-4 pick again in the draft next year, there are going to be no excuses what-so-ever to ignore the parent club.

When you take guys like Dempster, Garza, Soriano and a host of others off of the roster, people don't line up and buy tickets to watch "Barney & Friends" play baseball.

It's time to start making some long-term free agent moves this off-season, and one that wouldn't hurt is to outbid everyone for the Cuban, Miguel Gonzalez. :popcorn:

Wouldn't several on this board consider Gonzo a "lottery ticket" though?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For a rental not a bad haul.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't several on this board consider Gonzo a "lottery ticket" though?

Some might, however, when the large market teams are trying to acquire his services, I think it is closer to a Dice-K/Darvish risk versus a Gerardo Concepcion risk.

The Cubs just lost Garza and could land a close-to if not starter already without forfeiting farm hands to get it.

It would be nice to land a David Price, but for what the Cubs and Rangers gave to get Garza, it is not worth losing half the farm.

Nab a guy like Gonzalez and then get an Ervin Santana, the rotation starts to take shape, and there is no reason monetarily that they could not afford that, especially with Garza, Feldman, Marmol, and maybe Baker no longer on the books. :popcorn:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Some might, however, when the large market teams are trying to acquire his services, I think it is closer to a Dice-K/Darvish risk versus a Gerardo Concepcion risk.

The Cubs just lost Garza and could land a close-to if not starter already without forfeiting farm hands to get it.

It would be nice to land a David Price, but for what the Cubs and Rangers gave to get Garza, it is not worth losing half the farm.

Nab a guy like Gonzalez and then get an Ervin Santana, the rotation starts to take shape, and there is no reason monetarily that they could not afford that, especially with Garza, Feldman, Marmol, and maybe Baker no longer on the books. :popcorn:

I'm in complete agreement.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A near 30% k rate in the minors is a huge red flag for that. I mean Reynolds the year before being called up only struck out 20% in AA. That said I like the near ready player in Olt that could provide a legitimate power threat to the lineup. I've loved the idea of sliding Valbuena over to second base where his bat will play up a ton.

For a 3-5 hitter contact rate is over rated. You have to pay sometimes for that power.

I was thinking over B.Jaxx. That is why I don't want him in the future. He has a low contact rate but lacks the power to justify it.

It is what is is. If he gives solid D and 25 HR's it is worth losing some contact.