The Hall of Fame Case for Sammy Sosa

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think I wouldn't be surprised either way :) Welcome to the writing squad!

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I hope he gets in someday.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't think he'll get in on his first few go-arounds -- the stigma is just too heavy.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
w1yq1m.jpg

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think he deserves it. Cheater. But then again, look who is saying he should get in and who is saying he should not, depends on the colors you don.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I dont think he deserves it. Cheater. But then again, look who is saying he should get in and who is saying he should not, depends on the colors you don.

So many players have cheated in the past and are already in (steroids aren't the only way). You can't lock out certain players just because you think they did steroids but then let others of the same in era in because you don't think they did. Sosa wasn't the only roider, there were several, and every play would have to have the same suspicions or it is really just bias. I'm not in favor of locking an entire generation of stars out of the hall because they supplemented their natural ability with a drug.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Harold Baines should be in. Fuck Sosa. Fucking dickwad.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
So many players have cheated in the past and are already in (steroids aren't the only way). You can't lock out certain players just because you think they did steroids but then let others of the same in era in because you don't think they did. Sosa wasn't the only roider, there were several, and every play would have to have the same suspicions or it is really just bias. I'm not in favor of locking an entire generation of stars out of the hall because they supplemented their natural ability with a drug.
I am, but I also have a different perspective than you do. I think Biggio was clean, I think Raines was clean, I think Lofton was clean, I think Bagwell was clean. I believe they should get in. And unfortunately, bias being shown I believe Thomas was clean and should get in too. These players were not in the Mitchell Report and never had their names associated in the same breath as steroids. Unlike Sosa, Clemens, Bonds, and McGuire.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I am, but I also have a different perspective than you do. I think Biggio was clean, I think Raines was clean, I think Lofton was clean, I think Bagwell was clean. I believe they should get in. And unfortunately, bias being shown I believe Thomas was clean and should get in too. These players were not in the Mitchell Report and never had their names associated in the same breath as steroids. Unlike Sosa, Clemens, Bonds, and McGuire.

You THINK they were clean, but would still be pretty bullshit when it turns out some of them used them just as much and you blocked others out. There isn't enough evidence to sort through who did or didn't do what, and the Mitchell Report never should have been released to the public, and AFAIK we still don't have a full list of names on it.

The entire era of players are suspicious, whether you agree or not. I say, let the players who performed the best in, whether it is natural or not. That way you don't clock out a whole era, the biggest stars of the era are still accredited for what they did do (natural or not), nobody gets left out because of false accusation/assumption, and no one that is unclean gets in without everyone else that did too.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
What the writers "think" is probably going to decide the vote unfortunately, but what was actually done and is on the box scores should be what's important. And there's no denying the excitement of what happened when baseballs were being launched into orbit.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
Let's assume that whole generation of ball players were using something. Therefore they were all on "equal" playing fields since they were all trying to get an edge right? Well, then Sosa, Bonds, Mac, Clemens, Raf, Canseco etc were all still better than everyone else at the time. I've seen many dudes whose names have showed up with dirty tests and what not and have never had an MVP season, .350 average, 130 RBI or even 20 HR's in a season. 'Roids didn't make everyone an automatic 50 HR hitter (except for Brady Anderson in one season). These dudes could still ball regardless. Bonds was a beast before, during and after.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's assume that whole generation of ball players were using something. Therefore they were all on "equal" playing fields since they were all trying to get an edge right? Well, then Sosa, Bonds, Mac, Clemens, Raf, Canseco etc were all still better than everyone else at the time. I've seen many dudes whose names have showed up with dirty tests and what not and have never had an MVP season, .350 average, 130 RBI or even 20 HR's in a season. 'Roids didn't make everyone an automatic 50 HR hitter (except for Brady Anderson in one season). These dudes could still ball regardless. Bonds was a beast before, during and after.

The problem is that you can't assume anything. You don't know who used and when. You don't know the extent of the drug's effect after usage was stopped, and when they would start to take effect after first injection/ingestion. So everyone's in the dark, especially since nobody cared to begin with. All you have is the box scores.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

the difference between a guy like bonds as to sosa....sosa never sniffs the hof without the roids, bonds is a hof without the roids. i actually grew up watching sosas career as some who are 12 here just look at the stats. he was never a good player until he started juicing, he was never on a track to be anywhere near the hof. i know i know butszzz ittzzz teh cubszz andzz someszz stuffzz.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly this is one of those things where I am "Brett Stubborn" I will not back down on my views that cheaters shouldn't be in the HOF. I WOULD block out a whole generation because people SHOULD know about the cheating, but these players shouldn't be rewarded for what they did collectively and individually during that era. Call me a bigot, get mud, but I don't care. Cheaters never win, and they never should.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
The problem is that you can't assume anything. You don't know who used and when. You don't know the extent of the drug's effect after usage was stopped, and when they would start to take effect after first injection/ingestion. So everyone's in the dark, especially since nobody cared to begin with. All you have is the box scores.

True you can't really assume. But according to ex players, they all say a very high percentage of players were using something back then. Mike Schmidt even said he could've been tempted into using.. As for effects of whatever was being used in unknown, sure. Most people hear steroids and think a dude will automatically hit 75 HR's. Ruiz and Cabrera only hit 16 and 11, respectively. But I don't know exactly what they were caught using.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
the difference between a guy like bonds as to sosa....sosa never sniffs the hof without the roids, bonds is a hof without the roids. i actually grew up watching sosas career as some who are 12 here just look at the stats. he was never a good player until he started juicing, he was never on a track to be anywhere near the hof. i know i know butszzz ittzzz teh cubszz andzz someszz stuffzz.

:rolleyes: