The Illini Basketball Thread

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
A writer on 247 says the Illini are in good shape with Evans, Bragg, and Thomas. The Illini could potentially land all of them and then crean a few existing players and/or incoming players.

PG: Evans
PG: Coleman
SG: Jordan
SF: Williams
PF: Thomas
PF: Bragg

How about that class? :smug2:

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coleman is officially going by Jalen Coleman-Lands from now on according to Jeff Rabjohns on twitter.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Good column in ST, not so much about the current recruiting class and Coleman, but about the upcoming bridge year. With Abrams down, it's up to Starks and Tate.

...Groce loves players who dribble and pass like point guards yet stroke it like shooting guards. Starks is exactly that sort of guy.
...Starks, 22, is Oregon State’s all-time leader in three-pointers made (185). In the Princeton offense former Beavers coach Craig Robinson ran, Starks didn’t get to do a lot of creating for others, but he says he’s merely an improved version of the player who averaged more than six assists a game as a senior at Young and was named first-team all-state by the Sun-Times.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/coll...y-before-2015-class-arrives.html#.VCLKsPldXhI

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
One of the most accurate posters on Illinois Loyalty (otherwise a cesspool) just posted this:

Eff it idc anymore.
1. My contact is related to a staff member. You figure it out.
2. Elijah Thomas to Illinois on Monday! That's at 80% chance of happening.
3. Staff loves their chances on landing Jawun evans especially after Thomas commits.
4. My gut is he goes to OSU. Heard from his mouth via snap he loves Illinois but he isn't sure of what to do!

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
One of the most accurate posters on Illinois Loyalty (otherwise a cesspool) just posted this:

In #4, who is he? Is that referencing Evans?

I want both bad, but I really want Thomas. We're going to be loaded with guards, need some more bangers.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah #4 is in reference to Evans. Thomas is #1 on my wishlist. Even more than Carlton Bragg. I just don't feel comfortable with having Maverick Morgan being our starting center in '15-'16. Unless Mav makes huge strides this season.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Yeah #4 is in reference to Evans. Thomas is #1 on my wishlist. Even more than Carlton Bragg. I just don't feel comfortable with having Maverick Morgan being our starting center in '15-'16. Unless Mav makes huge strides this season.

The thing with Evans is, it is starting to appear, at least to me, that he's scared of competition. If that is indeed the case, and he wants the chicken shit way of being a starter, have fun at OSU. I don't want kids who are afraid to compete playing at UI.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
The thing with Evans is, it is starting to appear, at least to me, that he's scared of competition. If that is indeed the case, and he wants the chicken shit way of being a starter, have fun at OSU. I don't want kids who are afraid to compete playing at UI.

It does seem like the moment the news came out that Tracy Abrams tore his ACL, and that he'll still be here for the '15-'16 season, things with Evans became a lot more cloudy.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It does seem like the moment the news came out that Tracy Abrams tore his ACL, and that he'll still be here for the '15-'16 season, things with Evans became a lot more cloudy.

These kids are wanting the quickest pathway to the NBA possible a lot of times. It has less to do with far of competition(a hilarious BS excuse..most of the time.. fans use to rationalize a kid not choosing their team) when the kid is just wanting to get as much run as early as he can so he can get to the Association as quickly as possible.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Illinois moves back into the top spot on the Crystal Ball for Elijah Thomas. Jeff Borzello picked Illinois this morning, as did a southwest recruiting analyst. Borzello also picked Jawun Evans to OK State right after he picked Thomas to Illinois.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Right now it does look good for UI to land him. Very promising anyway.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alex Roux ‏@aroux94 1h

Jawun Evans' mentor tells me there won't be any "prima donna" press conference announcement for Evans, decision likely next Wed or Thurs.

Well it looks like we'll have a lot of answers by next weekend.

Also Jerry Meyer says the chances are good that Illinois lands Jamal Murray if he reclassifies.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's looking more and more like we'll have a class of:
PG- Jamal Murray
SG- Jalen Coleman-Lands
SG- Aaron Jordan
SF- DJ Williams
PF/C- Elijah Thomas

Possibly one spot left after that for Carlton Bragg. We definitely won't stop recruiting him.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Groce will be at La Lumiere tonight to watch not only our newest commit, Jalen Coleman-Lands, but 2016 studs Isaac Humphries and Nolan Narain. That's a great school to have connections with.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Doral Moore might not be visiting this weekend anymore.

200.gif

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
It's looking more and more like we'll have a class of:
PG- Jamal Murray
SG- Jalen Coleman-Lands
SG- Aaron Jordan
SF- DJ Williams
PF/C- Elijah Thomas

Possibly one spot left after that for Carlton Bragg. We definitely won't stop recruiting him.

I'll take that

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Illinois moves back into the top spot on the Crystal Ball for Elijah Thomas. Jeff Borzello picked Illinois this morning, as did a southwest recruiting analyst. Borzello also picked Jawun Evans to OK State right after he picked Thomas to Illinois.

FYI, Borzello only picked Evans to OSU because Illinois only has 1 scholly remaining. Which he thinks Thomas will take.

That's silly. If Evans wants to come to UI, he's coming. Groce will crean someone if necessary.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
FYI, Borzello only picked Evans to OSU because Illinois only has 1 scholly remaining. Which he thinks Thomas will take.

That's silly. If Evans wants to come to UI, he's coming. Groce will crean someone if necessary.
Yes. He may not even have to crean someone. It could also likely be someone dissatisfied with playing time who would want to transfer out or something else.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Yes. He may not even have to crean someone. It could also likely be someone dissatisfied with playing time who would want to transfer out or something else.

Yup, there are a number of ways to make it work. Even if Bragg wanted to come, we'd take him as well.