the mock drafts say "D" with #7 pick, however.....

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I was looking through the draft history for quarterbacks for the past several years, preparing to post about how the best QB in that draft isnt always oen of the first off the board. Instead, I just laughed at how damn near every QB drafted every year doesnt pan out for shit.

Drafting QBs is the worst version of russian roulette imaginable, where instead of one bullet in a revolver, you are using a fully loaded P90

EDIT - by using the fun imagery of people shooting themselves with automatic weapons, I forgot to make my point. Point is, unless you are drafting a guaranteed winner (guys like Andrew Luck) drafting a QB seldom pans out for you. Sure, you need to draft guys that you hope you can develop, but falling first-round QBs is a pretty careless draft strategy

Bort

Liked Posts:
I've been watching college and NFL football for a long time, and there's one thing that I find painfully obvious that doesn't seem to penetrate the bubble of media "experts" and even NFL front offices.

That painfully obvious fact is that some years there are literally no good QB prospects.

Despite this fact, everyone nonsensically touts the best QB prospects every year as first round talent, and multiple QBs are often taken in the first round even in years with complete garbage QB classes.

In 2002, there were literally no good QB prospects. Yet David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Patrick Ramsey all went in the first round.

In 2007, there were literally no good QB prospects. Yet JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn both went in the first round.

In 2010, there was maybe one decent QB prospect (certainly not worthy of a top ten pick) and a bunch of garbage. Yet the one decent prospect went #1 overall and Tim Tebow(!) also went in the first round.

In 2015, there is maybe one decent QB prospect (Hundley, and I wouldn't even say he is a good prospect because his pocket awareness is so bad). Yet Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariotta will probably be top ten overall picks. Unfortunately, Jameis Winston needs a brain transplant, and Mariotta has shown no ability to pass from the pocket with any consistency and run an NFL style offense. They're not very good prospects. Yet, as always happens with a garbage QB class, the least shitty prospects are hailed as first round talent.

And then everyone shrugs their shoulders and says "well, drafting a QB is apparently a complete crapshoot, both JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn were highly touted as first round talent and no one could have predicted they would be such massive busts."

So it goes.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see a first year coach and GM taking a risk on Winston's judgment and attitude. They inherited a team that the previous coach "lost". I think they need as many solid character guys that they can get. I'm not discrediting any particular player or player on the roster. The media has been all over the fact that the team lacked leaders. I don't think Winston fits that description.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Winston seems not to have much smarts at a position on the team where you need the most smarts. I say play it safe and take the NT Shelton, the guy will fit nicely into our new 3-4 defense.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Offensive tackle at #7.

I think we need to get one of the top 3-4 OLBs with our first pick.

I'm thinking the top 3-4 OLBs (Fowler, Gregory, Ray, Beasley, Dupree, Harold) are all gone before our second pick comes back around.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think we need to get one of the top 3-4 OLBs with our first pick.

I'm thinking the top 3-4 OLBs (Fowler, Gregory, Ray, Beasley, Dupree, Harold) are all gone before our second pick comes back around.
I like that too. However I think I would trade down several spots first, your gonna be able to nap one them there plus pick up a extra pick.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
I like that too. However I think I would trade down several spots first, your gonna be able to nap one them there plus pick up a extra pick.

Unless the team you trade with drafts one of the edge rushers which starts the run on the rest. I'm not sure why folks think edge rushers aren't a premium position and that trading down a few picks isn't risky. Other teams can trade up you know.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you're going to target somebody that can be taken in the mid first round why not trade down for them? Bill Belichek often trades down

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
If you're going to target somebody that can be taken in the mid first round why not trade down for them? Bill Belichek often trades down

The thing is, you don't know how other teams value players. What you may have valued as a mid round pick, another team may have valued as a top 10 pick.

I'm sure a lot of guys here had guys like Jimmie Ward or Deone Bucannon as second rounders but both went in the first. If you're targeting a player, I say get him when he's available.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The thing is, you don't know how other teams value players. What you may have valued as a mid round pick, another team may have valued as a top 10 pick.

I'm sure a lot of guys here had guys like Jimmie Ward or Deone Bucannon as second rounders but both went in the first. If you're targeting a player, I say get him when he's available.

Yeah I understand that but all six of those linebackers that you mention are not going to be gone before the 12th or 13th pick in the first round, if we were going to trade down to that position at least two of those maybe three of them I bet would still be available. Regardless of other teams values no way they are all going to be gone by then.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
There are four OLBs worth the pick at 7 (Fowler, Ray, Dupree, Gregory) if any of those 4 guys are still there you make the pick. The drop from those four are significant and not worth risking in a trade down. All we can do is hope at least 1 of those guys are available when the Bears make their pick.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would take Mariota at 7.

He has the physical tools and the intangibles and make up to he successful.

I actually think he could be pretty good if coached up and put on a team where he does not have to be a star in his first 2 years.

Why can't he do what Russell Wilson does?

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are four OLBs worth the pick at 7 (Fowler, Ray, Dupree, Gregory) if any of those 4 guys are still there you make the pick. The drop from those four are significant and not worth risking in a trade down. All we can do is hope at least 1 of those guys are available when the Bears make their pick.
If your going by just those four, I would stay at 7 then, your pretty much gauranteed to nabbed one them there.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't see a first year coach and GM taking a risk on Winston's judgment and attitude. They inherited a team that the previous coach "lost". I think they need as many solid character guys that they can get. I'm not discrediting any particular player or player on the roster. The media has been all over the fact that the team lacked leaders. I don't think Winston fits that description.

Pace loves Drew Brees.

Winston is the anti Drew Brees.

Intangibles and leadership will play a huge role in the next Bears QB search.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Winston seems not to have much smarts at a position on the team where you need the most smarts. I say play it safe and take the NT Shelton, the guy will fit nicely into our new 3-4 defense.

Oh sure, he doesn't have the"smarts" ...well he's got more SMARTS THAN OUR CURRENT QB. BTW, how the hell do u know how smart he is.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Pace loves Drew Brees.

Winston is the anti Drew Brees.

Intangibles and leadership will play a huge role in the next Bears QB search.

.....and you don't JW is a leader on the field. I have examples of him being a leader on the field, but I'll await anyone's response to him NOT being a leader.