The NBA's Possible Solution for Tanking

This idea...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Full article here: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...ng-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel

But the main point of the article is this part:

"Grantland obtained a copy of the proposal, which would eliminate the draft lottery entirely and replace it with a system in which each of the 30 teams would pick in a specific first-round draft slot once — and exactly once — every 30 years. Each team would simply cycle through the 30 draft slots, year by year, in a predetermined order designed so that teams pick in different areas of the draft each year. Teams would know with 100 percent certainty in which draft slots they would pick every year, up to 30 years out from the start of every 30-year cycle. The practice of protecting picks would disappear; there would never be a Harrison Barnes–Golden State situation again, and it wouldn’t require a law degree to track ownership of every traded pick leaguewide.

The system is simpler to understand in pictorial form. Below is the wheel that outlines the order in which each team would cycle through the draft slots; the graphic highlights the top six slots in red to show that every team would be guaranteed one top-six pick every five seasons, and at least one top-12 pick in every four-year span:

iQ6x8xPmn1LGu.png

Put another way: The team that gets the no. 1 pick in the very first year of this proposed system would draft in the following slots over the system's first six seasons: 1st, 30th, 19th, 18th, 7th, 6th. Just follow the wheel around clockwise to see the entire 30-year pick cycle of each team, depending on their starting spoke in Year 1.

The system is designed to eliminate the link between being very bad and getting a high draft pick. There is no benefit at all to being bad under a wheel system like this. If you believe tanking is morally wrong, or that it hurts business by alienating fans and cutting into attendance, this is a system you could get behind."

Liked Posts:
I don't see how it would work, plus being the worst team dosen't guarantee the #1 pick anyway

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
More dumb confusion by some idiots and there ridiculous proposals.....
People like that have already done enough damage to sports over the years.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
It would eliminate tanking...something that obviously bothers the NBA. But it would also eliminate the conspiracies and also the confusing conditional draft picks. I just think that having the first pick once every 30 years is a bit much, but imagine the trades that would be made.

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
It would eliminate tanking...something that obviously bothers the NBA. But it would also eliminate the conspiracies and also the confusing conditional draft picks. I just think that having the first pick once every 30 years is a bit much, but imagine the trades that would be made.

Probably still no trades by PaxGar though.
:oprah:

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
Wrong thread.

Nope, right thread.

Even if a new system is in play that only allows teams to get the first pick every 30 years, PaxGars actions would still be at a stand still every year around the trade deadline...

Last edited:

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Nope, right thread.

Even if a new system is in play that only allows teams to get the first pick every 30 years, PaxGars actions would still be at a stand still every year around the trade deadline...

You are off subject dude....if you want to call me out for being off subject...lead by example...

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
You are off subject dude....if you want to call me out for being off subject...lead by example...

But you are the one that brought up "imagine how many trades there would be around the NBA" and i replied that even under that (every 30 year 1st draft pic) scenerio that PaxGar still probably wouldnt have much action or part in in any of the many trades around the NBA.

Hows that off the subject?
Purhaps you just misunderstood what i meant, but dont you always? :smug:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Tanking is self corrected. I hate these proposals. It's like, proposing a solution for winning(treating winning like a problem).

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I always liked the idea that a team that was consecutively bad (without record improvement) in two seasons would get more chances.

So if a team was dead last for two straight seasons, instead of 250 chances, they would have 264 chances(one more for every lotto team). If a non-lotto team had the 16th+ seed in all of the playoffs, and they dropped to #1, they have no additional chances. So if a team was (from the bottom) #4 in the season prior, and they were #4 they would have 129 chances, instead of 119.

A team that tanks for two straight seasons and succeeds(against other tanking teams) would take an enormous risk at losing an even larger portion of the fan base. Plus this would then grant some forgiveness if a team winds up drafting a bust.

Winning the lottery isn't easy. #1 lotto teams don't win a proportionate amount of #1 picks.

Last edited:

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
I get the idea of eliminating tanking. Is that really the NBA's big problem? A team like the Bulls sells out every game so if they tank they don't lose money waiting on getting a great pick. Other teams take a huge risk because they don't sell out every game so they lose revenue on their way to a great pick to build excitement and have a better team.

What this would do is have GMs and coaches looking at where their picks land during the length of their contracts and maybe if a team is going into that 25, 23, 14, 11 stretch a GM might want a contract that extends a year or two past the 2 pick because and the team might end up in a situation where they don't want to pay a top level coach big money the four years prior to that 2 pick year. I can see top coaches and GMs waiting out to see what kind of roster they inherit and where the picks for the duration of their contract fall.

With some of the teams owned by fools with lots of money I think the luxury tax and salary cap would have to be even more tightly controlled so some wouldn't play the system and mess it up.

One of my favorite things used to be a player staying with his original team for his entire career. John Havlicek, Jerry West. Because it built a loyalty in the fan base. Free agency changed that but what I would do is exempt players from the cap and/or luxury tax so long as they continue to resign with the team they originally signed with. Players could still change teams and sign for what they could get or a team could afford but a team that drafted well would have the edge to keep their players. That could offset the draft wheel in some way.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This obviously won't happen for a while,considering that all of these trades involving future draft picks have to be reconciled.

ginny

Liked Posts:
Not a fan of that idea...changes the entire landscape.

As ChetheJet said, If a team continuously tanks, they risk losing revenue. I'll add one more...in that they also risk not getting new YOUNG fans.

Imagine this hypothetical possibility.
A team wins the NBA Championship then has the fortune of the first pick in the draft.

No thanks...

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
This doesn't make sense to me. If they were to ever expand in the NBA again, or possibly retract, that would just fuck the whole cycle up. Plus this wouldn't necessarily help with parity in the NBA. A stud that comes in knowing he's going to be a top 3 or 2 pick will know everyone drafting each year in college and could essentially just choose his team. This system we have now is for sure flawed, but I think it's definitely the best.

Also with this cycle thing, I couldn't imagine that being in play and a team like the Heat get the #1 pick. That would be pretty ridiculous.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This obviously won't happen for a while,considering that all of these trades involving future draft picks have to be reconciled.
Yeah they have picks that could be used up to 2020 right now given the conditions on the picks. The NBA cold not institute this system until after that unless they came up with some sort of compensation for owners.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Won't ever happen. genius idea with stupid execution.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This guy from the comments section in the article makes a great point:

Eric Hargrove · Works at Canal HR
I will be disowning the NBA if this idea were to ever come to fruition. From STH to complete apathy without blinking an eye. I am sure I can guess which owners (big market) are in favor of this, and which owners (small market) are against this. Zach, let's just say the Raptors own the 2020 pick and the Lakers own the 2021 pick. LBJ2.0 is at Duke for the 2019 season. You can bet your ass he's gonna stay 1 more year in school to end up in LA.

I can definitely see that happening.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
yup thats another thing...players would be able to pick and choose when they come out

lotto is fine...i honesty cant come up with anything better

they rig it anyway...so players end up where the NBA wants them too

thats why we should tank this year...you bet your ass the NBA wants a big market team to get wiggins or jabari so they can make more money off them

:derbulls: