The OC Options

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He's extremely inexperienced. He was on a NFL PS roster at the start of the 2015 season. So his entire coaching career so far is a whopping 3 years...

Right....He's extremely inexperienced and only 32

Visionman

Liked Posts:
He's like the hottest HC candidate this year. And even if he doesnt get a position, there's no way he makes a move from one of the best offenses in the league to one of the worst. Career suicide.

Not to mention the fact KC could block that lateral move anyway...

LetsGo34

Liked Posts:
Rent the cheapest empty suit for as long as you plan on keeping Nagy.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Here's a name to look out for:

Kenny Edenfield
from South Alabama

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Nagy was hired to call his offense here. I believe no actual OC is coming no matter what.

If Pace or owners try to make him it'd get ugly and IMO with the O-line coach hired first, the OC will definitely be a meaningless figurehead and it's pretty much set like that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
WTF would he come and risk his rep here with a lateral move when it's working so well where he's at? Why would Ried let him?

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Talk is Bears may just have no OC.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Nagy was hired to call his offense here. I believe no actual OC is coming no matter what.

If Pace or owners try to make him it'd get ugly and IMO with the O-line coach hired first, the OC will definitely be a meaningless figurehead and it's pretty much set like that.
People keep saying this, but what actual proof do you have Nagy was hired to call plays?

He was hired to be the HC, and because of his offensive philosophy, yes. But that doesn't mean he has to call plays. He obviously wanted to, and had tried unsuccessfully...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy was hired to elevate the QB and offense. Neither has happened. In fact it got worse from year 1 to year 2.

You could point a finger at a player, but considering the entire offense from top to bottom sans the wide receivers got worse that is on Nagy. Most people without their head up their own ass could see there was an execution AND playcalling problem.

You can draw inferences from that.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Great a matched set of shaved testicle heads calling 14bubble screens /game.
Perfect.

Last edited:

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Instead of paying another one of Nagy's bffs to collect a paycheck for doing literally nothing how about they just change Childress' title from "senior offensive assistant" to "OC"??

We're already paying him to do nothing anyways, it might as well be as OC.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Call me crazy, but I think the hiring of Juan Castillo is more important than the OC hire. Castillo has a ton of NFL experience game scripting a rushing attack which has been Nagy's biggest weakness.

In light of the hire, I propose another candidate....

David Culley

Currently employed by the Ravens as one of Greg Roman's assistants, Culley was the WR coach of Ried in Philly where he worked with Castillo and even followed him to Buffalo. Got a ton of credit in working with Lamar Jackson's leap as a passer this season.

May be hard to pry him away from his buddy John Harbaugh, but Castillo could be the one to pull it off.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
People keep saying this, but what actual proof do you have Nagy was hired to call plays?

He was hired to be the HC, and because of his offensive philosophy, yes. But that doesn't mean he has to call plays. He obviously wanted to, and had tried unsuccessfully...

I don't have "smoking gun" proof other than the fact that he was hired and he calls his own plays. I don't believe he will either be stripped of playcalling duties and even if he is stripped of it, I do not believe he will ever accept it happily neither upfront nor down the road if that turns out to be the case.

If you believe they will strip him of playcalling, ok. (That doesn't mean they didn't hire him to call plays though).

I believe it may be a case of "damned if they do /damned if they don't". I am uncertain if I have ever been so down on the Bears since Wannstedt's era

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nobody is stripping Nagy of anything other than Nagy himself. Questions become, who can we get, what they will demand and will it fit into what Nagy wants to do? If we ended up with Ragone, I wouldn't hate it. There are better choices but those may either not be available or demand playcalling which we are unsure whether Nagy with would be willing to give up. Ragone is somewhat reminiscent of Frank Reich before his 1st OC gig.

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I want Shurmur, because I believe Nagy needs an OC with the experience and guts to say "Listen, this aint going to work. I'm sure of it" on some of his more out there ideas, and to reign him in when he starts to get "Madden-esque" pass heavy in his play calling that he does in response to early struggles in games.

I believe a new/unproven OC will try to work around these issues, for fear of rocking the boat and also desire to prove himself, where a veteran like Shurmur will identify these flaws for flaws and try to mitigate them. I could be wrong, but that's my reasoning.