The Official Adam Dunn To The Cubs Debate Thread

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Debate amongst yourselfs about dunn here, try not to call each other names and just post substance.

post opinions if and why you think he going to be a cub.

post opinions on if it would be good for the cubs etc etc etc.

kleenexbox

Liked Posts:
I don't really care either way but he would look awfully nice in the middle of that lineup.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have heard that Quade doesn't want Dunn because of his defense. No link, though.

I think that it's good that Quade wants to improve the teams defense, but it sucks that he doesn't want Dunn. Maybe LaRoche? He'd be my 2nd choice and probably the better choice.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
LaRoche would be my second choice as well.

LaRocher is my 1st choice and I have been saying him all along. Like CO has mention Dunn. I've brought up the idea of LaRoche on CCS.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be OK w/ Pena, but he strikes out way too much for my liking. Either LaRoche or Pena would have to take a 1 year deal w/ A-Gon and Pujols FAs in 2012.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I say we just trade Zambrano for Pujols, straight up...but the Cards will need to eat about half of Pujols' pay this season.

on the fo'real, though...Sign LaRoche, try to trade for A-Gon mid-season...sign him to an extension immediately. the Cubs have some $30+MM coming off the books after 2011.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be OK w/ Pena, but he strikes out way too much for my liking. Either LaRoche or Pena would have to take a 1 year deal w/ A-Gon and Pujols FAs in 2012.

Do you really think we can get Pujols or A-Gon? Really? Plus, they aren't worth it. At all.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Do you really think we can get Pujols or A-Gon? Really? Plus, they aren't worth it. At all.

You don't think Pujols will be worth the contract he's gonna get?

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I have heard that Quade doesn't want Dunn because of his defense. No link, though.

I think that it's good that Quade wants to improve the teams defense, but it sucks that he doesn't want Dunn. Maybe LaRoche? He'd be my 2nd choice and probably the better choice.

No, a thousand times no. In no baseball universe is LaRoche > Dunn. And I know what you're thinking, and no, LaRoche + whatever the Cubs can get with the money they saved in getting LaRoche and not Dunn > Dunn in any baseball universe, either.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, a thousand times no. In no baseball universe is LaRoche > Dunn. And I know what you're thinking, and no, LaRoche + whatever the Cubs can get with the money they saved in getting LaRoche and not Dunn > Dunn in any baseball universe, either.

Let's say LaRoche at 1 year and 8 million. With Dunn at 3 years, 40 million. Or roughly, 1 year 13 million(that's the cheap end).

LaRoche is going to give us about 10 runs with his bat, 5 with the glove, in 600 ABs at 1B. That's about 2.5 wins. Or about $3.2 MM/win.

Dunn is going to give us about 30 runs with the bat and negative 10 runs with the glove(that's the low end, too). That's 20 runs in 600 AB's at 1B. That's 2.7 wins, or 4.8 MM/win. LaRoche > Dunn.

Now, I don't think that will happen. I think that Dunn will get more than 40 million. I'd say about 45 million, or 15 million per. But I also do not think he will be a -10 run defender. I see him closer to neutral. So let's give him neutral runs at 1B, with 15 million per. 3.7 wins, or about 4 million a win. If we give him the save 3.7 wins at 13 million per, we get 3.5 MM/win.

So yeah, LaRoche is worth more in terms of WAR and value per win. Last time I checked, that's a baseball universe.

Explain yourself. Thoroughly.

Pujols isn't leaving STL, so there is no way we get him anyway. Gonzalez, on the other hand, is going to require prospects plus money for an extension. He may not even be worth the extension, definitely not the players too. He is going to command so much.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Let's say LaRoche at 1 year and 8 million. With Dunn at 3 years, 40 million. Or roughly, 1 year 13 million(that's the cheap end).

LaRoche is going to give us about 10 runs with his bat, 5 with the glove, in 600 ABs at 1B. That's about 2.5 wins. Or about $3.2 MM/win.

Dunn is going to give us about 30 runs with the bat and negative 10 runs with the glove(that's the low end, too). That's 20 runs in 600 AB's at 1B. That's 2.7 wins, or 4.8 MM/win. LaRoche > Dunn.

Now, I don't think that will happen. I think that Dunn will get more than 40 million. I'd say about 45 million, or 15 million per. But I also do not think he will be a -10 run defender. I see him closer to neutral. So let's give him neutral runs at 1B, with 15 million per. 3.7 wins, or about 4 million a win. If we give him the save 3.7 wins at 13 million per, we get 3.5 MM/win.

So yeah, LaRoche is worth more in terms of WAR and value per win. Last time I checked, that's a baseball universe.

That's right, I forgot about the universe where you suck at research.

Adam Dunn Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Adam LaRoche Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Adam Dunn dWAR per 600 PA's: -.544
Adam LaRoche dWAR per 600 PA's: -.39

Dunn oWAR per 600 PA's: 3.23
LaRoche oWAR per 600 PA's: 1.576

Dunn WAR per 600 PA's: 2.73
LaRoche WAR per 600 PA's: 1.186

Dunn proposed 2011 salary: $13 million
LaRoche proposed 2011 salary: $8 million

Dunn: .21 WAR per 600 PA's per million
LaRoche: .148 WAR per 600 PA's per million

Dunn > LaRoche

Also, given the ratio of production per dollar of Dunn and LaRoche, Dunn's salary could be increased by as much as 41% (arriving at $18 million total) until he would just equal the rate of production per dollar of LaRoche.

Now, I know you want to fire back about how Dunn has played a lot more OF innings in his career than he has at first base, so just using his overall dWAR rates doesn't paint the right picture and so on, but keep this in mind: Dunn's best defensive season in the last six years was 2010 (-0.3 dWAR), where he played all of his 1200+ defensive innings at first base. So, you can accept that outfield innings are included in these calculations, or I can re-compute the data with that weighted -0.3 dWAR at first base as the prime defensive contributor, your choice. Also, the dWAR stats are using the league average defensive Zone Runs as the replacement level, which is just absolutely absurd, because 1) a league-average player is by definition better than a replacement player and 2) the league-average, as any intelligent champion of Zone Rating metrics will tell you, fluctuates rather violently, resulting in a not-so concrete view of a player's ability.

Pujols isn't leaving STL, so there is no way we get him anyway.

So? You said "they're not worth it" in reference to a group that included Pujols. Please explain how Pujols is decidedly "not worth it".

Gonzalez, on the other hand, is going to require prospects plus money for an extension. He may not even be worth the extension, definitely not the players too. He is going to command so much.

:obama::obama::obama:

No more talking about baseball for you.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Gonzalez is a FA after the season. But it may hurt if you wait for him and he signs an extension elsewhere after a trade.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Because this was mentioned earlier, what do you think it'd take to get Gonzalez? Maybe a Colvin, McNutt, Maine, Fuld, and Crawford deal? Or are the Padres asking for more? (Probably, lol).

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because this was mentioned earlier, what do you think it'd take to get Gonzalez? Maybe a Colvin, McNutt, Maine, Fuld, and Crawford deal? Or are the Padres asking for more? (Probably, lol).

Ummmm way more. JJ and Vitters will have to be included, also I put Marquez Smith, Tony Capuano and Ryan Flaherty in the trade.