CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
hardly.. they will be a contender for sure but I like the Cubs right now.. if Cubs get are able to trade Soler or Baez for a top young arm, Cubs are the overwhelming favorites.
Trading potentially a big bat that is in the lineup every day for a top, young arm doesn't make the Cubs overwhelming favorites. Trading Soler weakens the lineup and the bench.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Nationals were paper champions last year. I could care less who is the favorite before the season. Also, DBacks should provide big competition for the Giants. The DBacks lineup is young and dynamic.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Trading potentially a big bat that is in the lineup every day for a top, young arm doesn't make the Cubs overwhelming favorites. Trading Soler weakens the lineup and the bench.

What did Soler do us for last year? I like his potential but he didn't contribute a ton in 2015 so the Cubs really aren't losing anything if in fact he's the trade bait (his fWar was .1 I believe). I suspect Theo would get rid of Baez before Soler so perhaps it's a moot conversation. That being said, Cubs have added Heyward and Zobrist who will bat in front of Rizzo, Bryant, and Schwarber. That should give you a massive boner.

If the Cubs then throw out Arrieta, Lester, Carrasco, Lackey... along with our much improved bullpen, not sure how anyone can pick against the Cubs.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What did Soler do us for last year? I like his potential but he didn't contribute a ton in 2015 so the Cubs really aren't losing anything if in fact he's the trade bait (his fWar was .1 I believe). I suspect Theo would get rid of Baez before Soler so perhaps it's a moot conversation. That being said, Cubs have added Heyward and Zobrist who will bat in front of Rizzo, Bryant, and Schwarber. That should give you a massive boner.

If the Cubs then throw out Arrieta, Lester, Carrasco, Lackey... along with our much improved bullpen, not sure how anyone can pick against the Cubs.
LOL. Check his numbers out post-DL, especially bb/k rate. He was also one of the best sticks, if not the best, in the post-season.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
LOL. Check his numbers out post-DL, especially bb/k rate. He was also one of the best sticks, if not the best, in the post-season.

small sample size bro.. weren't you criticizing me for saying we shouldn't sign Lester because of his poor playoff performance the year before? And now you're doing the same with Soler. lol hypocrite. Not doing that Illini diploma any favors.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
small sample size bro.. weren't you criticizing me for saying we shouldn't sign Lester because of his poor playoff performance the year before? And now you're doing the same with Soler. lol hypocrite. Not doing that Illini diploma any favors.
Small sample size? Looking at second half of season after DL versus 1st half is not a small sample size. He lowered his K rate significantly. Something this team needs.

As for Lester, I criticized you because Lester is a solid pitcher over a long period of time. Not wanting a very good player because they choked in the playoffs one year doesn't seem like the same thing in my view. Now if he keeps choking, you will get a Nostradamus Award from me.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Small sample size? Looking at second half of season after DL versus 1st half is not a small sample size. He lowered his K rate significantly. Something this team needs.

Bottom line is I'd rather have Salazar or Carrasco as our #3 than Soler.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

As for Lester, I criticized you because Lester is a solid pitcher over a long period of time. Not wanting a very good player because they choked in the playoffs one year doesn't seem like the same thing in my view. Now if he keeps choking, you will get a Nostradamus Award from me.
Is JJ still trumpeting how the Cubs should not have signed Lester??? I have hin on ignore, but from your post it would seem the answer is yes....LOL

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Is JJ still trumpeting how the Cubs should not have signed Lester??? I have hin on ignore, but from your post it would seem the answer is yes....LOL
No. He's suggesting I criticized him about sample size and yet supposedly my argument for Soler is a really small sample size, even though the sample size was an entire season and the playoffs.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No. He's suggesting I criticized him about sample size and yet supposedly my argument for Soler is a really small sample size, even though the sample size was an entire season and the playoffs.

ok, so has he gotten any better at being a contributor?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Justin Upton seems to only be seeking a 1 year deal. I wish the Cubs would have done that.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Mets land Cespedes for $75 million. That's a great deal for them IMO. Only 3 years, but much cheaper overall than Upton got.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think he got 27 mil the first year with a opt out. He is getting paid and should hit the market next year that has less talent than this year