The Rest of the NHL Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
You won't find many around this board that remembers that game. I do...like it was yesterday. Dryden playing out of his ass and the killer by Henri Richard....a shot from a good 5 or 6 feet outside of the blueline that somehow Esposito lost in the crowd or something and it beat him and of course, the little twerp blowing by Magnuson for the game winner. Tough watching those assholes parade the Cup around the Stadium...., I wasn't actually there I watched it on Closed Circuit but it was still pretty painful as we filed out of the theater. I would love for the Hawks to get a re do this year.

Sheesh, i really dont know.

On one hand, you got Henrik who can win a series all by himself. And on the other, you got a Hab's team that can match the Hawks in speed and skill. I fully expect the Kings to win their series. Its going to be some dam good hockey the next few weeks for sure.

Ole'

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You won't find many around this board that remembers that game. I do...like it was yesterday. Dryden playing out of his ass and the killer by Henri Richard....a shot from a good 5 or 6 feet outside of the blueline that somehow Esposito lost in the crowd or something and it beat him and of course, the little twerp blowing by Magnuson for the game winner. Tough watching those assholes parade the Cup around the Stadium...., I wasn't actually there I watched it on Closed Circuit but it was still pretty painful as we filed out of the theater. I would love for the Hawks to get a re do this year.

Henri Richard, rumor has it that Magnusons jock strap is still proudly displayed in the Montreal Canadiens hall of fame!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I have always thought it caught a chip or bump on the ice and elevated. Couple that with the fact that Jacque Lemaire had a missile slap shot, and Espo had no chance. Can't agree with the "Dryden playing out of his Ass/Mind", he actually played like this more often than not.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, enough of this depression, at least we weren't the 84 Bruins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 1984, the Bruins had won the Adams Division with a 49–25–6 record, for 104 points, while the Canadiens, finished 35–40–5, for 75 points.[85] However, the Canadiens swept the Bruins in the division semifinals

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have always thought it caught a chip or bump on the ice and elevated. Couple that with the fact that Jacque Lemaire had a missile slap shot, and Espo had no chance. Can't agree with the "Dryden playing out of his Ass/Mind", he actually played like this more often than not.

That very well could be, the theater closed circuit was pretty grainy....kinda like a good old non-HD signal blown up to movie screen size. But you take what you could get considering Dollar Bill didn't broadcast ANY home games, regardless if it was mid-season or the 7th game of the Finals. I think we paid $10 or something which 40 some years ago was a sizeable sum.

In defense of Maggie, I believe he was playing hurt in that game...I think BIlly Reay caught some shit in the press for letting him play. But, that happens every year in playoffs.....NHL guys are tough cookies.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That very well could be, the theater closed circuit was pretty grainy....kinda like a good old non-HD signal blown up to movie screen size. But you take what you could get considering Dollar Bill didn't broadcast ANY home games, regardless if it was mid-season or the 7th game of the Finals. I think we paid $10 or something which 40 some years ago was a sizeable sum.

In defense of Maggie, I believe he was playing hurt in that game...I think BIlly Reay caught some shit in the press for letting him play. But, that happens every year in playoffs.....NHL guys are tough cookies.

You got that right. I miss those days, especially the names. Lemaire, Rae Jean Houle, Pit Martin, Pappin, Mahovolich and others!!!

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
What I particularly love is that the Penguins are out yet again ... you have no idea how much crap I got from Crosby fan-bois when I got to Australia (and this was before the Penguins ever actually won with him -- yeh -that one solitary time....).... what with me and my Hawks practice jersey ... and to see Mr Crosby and anointed team yet again done ... is rather (selfishly) satisfying for me.

Note to those guys in my past.... 'um yeah ... he really isn't all that. This was also I think the year that the Hawks won the draft lottery ---so it was awhile ago.

:)

KBIB

Liked Posts:
What I particularly love is that the Penguins are out yet again ... you have no idea how much crap I got from Crosby fan-bois when I got to Australia (and this was before the Penguins ever actually won with him -- yeh -that one solitary time....).... what with me and my Hawks practice jersey ... and to see Mr Crosby and anointed team yet again done ... is rather (selfishly) satisfying for me.

Note to those guys in my past.... 'um yeah ... he really isn't all that. This was also I think the year that the Hawks won the draft lottery ---so it was awhile ago.

:)

And so it begins;

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m
PIT will announce this morning GM Ray Shero and head coach Dan Bylsma have been fired. #TSN

LOL

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What I noticed in that film clip were the fans.........There wasn't one single replica jersey in the stadium..........Also, the hats.........Remember the
hats on the ice after a "hat-trick"? Did the Hawks even have a hat trick this entire season? Do you guys think it is because there are
more lines now than then? Did the stars of the team play more shifts back then? were the goalies just not as good? I know that this was the age
of the abundance of curved sticks which created more dips and dives for the goalies to handle. What do you think?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And so it begins;

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m
PIT will announce this morning GM Ray Shero and head coach Dan Bylsma have been fired. #TSN

LOL

And most everyone was singing the praises of a Ray Shero on this Forum....I never bought into his rent a player crap. I'm too lazy to go back and find the threads but the Iginlia move awhile back comes to mind. I thought it was a bad move....most everyone thought him to be a genius. Unless you have unlimited resources, you can't keep trading your future players for stars on the backside of their career. Eventually, it catches up to you.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
And most everyone was singing the praises of a Ray Shero on this Forum....I never bought into his rent a player crap. I'm too lazy to go back and find the threads but the Iginlia move awhile back comes to mind. I thought it was a bad move....most everyone thought him to be a genius. Unless you have unlimited resources, you can't keep trading your future players for stars on the backside of their career. Eventually, it catches up to you.
While I agree with you Shero has been way over rated as a talent evaluator and trading away draft picks and prospects for washed up players, I really cant fault the guy on getting Iggy. Was Iggy washed up? Sure, but the guy still has hands and the presumption of playing with Crysby and replicating his glory years was too good to pass up. Especially after Iggy pretty much crippled the Flames leverage by saying he would only go to the Pens.

Shero gets canned. He has the assumed two best players on the planet and has done fuck all with them for how many years now?

LOL

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

I was definitely one of those people.

But the fact that he only won one Cup with, arguably, the two best hockey players in the world sealed his own fate.

But I can't believe that Bylsma was retained. He's every bit as guilty in this mess as Shero.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was definitely one of those people.

But the fact that he only won one Cup with, arguably, the two best hockey players in the world sealed his own fate.

But I can't believe that Bylsma was retained. He's every bit as guilty in this mess as Shero.

Not necessarily. The last thing I saw was that the new GM, whoever that will be, will evaluate the coaching staff and go from there. So they didn't fire him....Yet.

If Bylsma is living on his recent history....he's on life support.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The Hawks are the model in which the NHL is going to look to model for the next decade plus-it was built of of great drafting. This dynasty, like all dynastys, are built through the draft.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I listened to those games on an old Zenith radio at my great aunt's house. One of those 4 foot high models.

Then saw the Canadiens at O'Hare and was sent over by my dad to ask for autographs. (That was probably 1973).

A co-worker saw Bobby Hull in Vegas a few months ago talking about Billy Reay. Said Reay's son was making a push to get Billy in the Hall of Fame. Hull said he would never support that, because he is convinced Reay cost the Hawks two cups.

Yes, I want revenge!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
OK, enough of this depression, at least we weren't the 84 Bruins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 1984, the Bruins had won the Adams Division with a 49–25–6 record, for 104 points, while the Canadiens, finished 35–40–5, for 75 points.[85] However, the Canadiens swept the Bruins in the division semifinals

While Boston fans made racist comments, and Boston players threatened to kill Candiens while in the handshake line.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Ducks look like they're sleepwalking out there.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Settled in for an evening with Kings/Ducks.

I haven't decided who I am rooting for.

If Anaheim wins, we don't have home ice, but I think Anaheim is weaker mentally.

If LA wins, we get home ice, but Quick can steal games on his own. But we beat them in 5 last year, so clearly we know we can play with them.

I just think I would rather have Anaheim. I can't see them winning the cup. I think we'll win the West, but the Ducks may be the easier/softer team.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish