The running back situation: is Carey on the way out?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
carey doesnt make or break us but i think he deserves to stay over jaquizzzzzz

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
carey has gotten very little love from the pace fox regime...not sure if hes done anything to be deserving of this but he deserves to get more playing time and show what he can do. he runs with authority and while he lacks that second gear, which i guess is why they drafted howard, similar style player but with more speed. fortunately for carey, he's been working on special teams so he should be back this year..rodgers and perry just bring competition but doubt either seriously threaten for a roster spot.

Danny Albuquerque

Liked Posts:
If Carey isn't needed for Special Teams, he probably wont be needed this year. Howard vs Langford, plus they'll need a speed back (Rodgers/Perry/other) and a blocking back. I don't see the point in him, maybe on the practice squad?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The least appreciated Bears player of the last decade. Carey has produced every single time he's been on the field. And yet some act like he should have been cut at the start of last season after a pretty productive rookie campaign for each carry he had.

Carey will be here and he will quietly continue to succeed.

55704444.jpg

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Rodgers is, shockingly, an excellent pass blocker and he's a solid receiver. I think those dismissing him aren't taking that into account. As it stands he's got a good chance to stick.

I've always liked Carey a lot. He's a high effort tough runner. I was surprised he made the roster last year, and even more surprised he stuck early in the year when they were dealing with injuries. He was buried on the depth chart, but they kept him around. I could see him sticking.

I think there's a decent chance the Bears keep 4 backs. Langford and Howard will most likely get the bulk of the work but Howard fell largely due to injury issues coupled with his physical style.

nobull

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Carey isn't needed for Special Teams, he probably wont be needed this year. Howard vs Langford, plus they'll need a speed back (Rodgers/Perry/other) and a blocking back. I don't see the point in him, maybe on the practice squad?

Langford the speed back. He is far quicker then Perry or Rodgers.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Rodgers is, shockingly, an excellent pass blocker and he's a solid receiver. I think those dismissing him aren't taking that into account. As it stands he's got a good chance to stick.

I've always liked Carey a lot. He's a high effort tough runner. I was surprised he made the roster last year, and even more surprised he stuck early in the year when they were dealing with injuries. He was buried on the depth chart, but they kept him around. I could see him sticking.

I think there's a decent chance the Bears keep 4 backs. Langford and Howard will most likely get the bulk of the work but Howard fell largely due to injury issues coupled with his physical style.

you are correct in that rodgers is a good blocker and receiver however he offers minimal burst as a RB. perry and carey offer more upside than rodgers, perry was a better special teamer and if carey continues improving as a special teamer, rodgers faces an uphill climb to a roster spot.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
carey doesnt make or break us but i think he deserves to stay over jaquizzzzzz

I do like Carey in that he runs hard and strong. Langford goes down very easily.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
you are correct in that rodgers is a good blocker and receiver however he offers minimal burst as a RB. perry and carey offer more upside than rodgers, perry was a better special teamer and if carey continues improving as a special teamer, rodgers faces an uphill climb to a roster spot.

Possibly, but Rodgers is also an excellent special teams player. I agree he has no upside as a runner, but he's easily the best blocker on the roster, is a dependable receiver and a core special teams player. He brings a lot to the table, though none of is flashy. I wouldn't bet money that he makes the team, but I think he's got a better chance then most seem to think he does.

Like I said, I think they will probably keep 4 backs. Carey, Perry and Rodgers will compete for two spots and special teams will most likely be the most important factor.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Carey has that 10yd Burst and low cannonball look that you need at times

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I think you keep all three Langford Carey and Howard... They are all guys you can move forward with and Carey when given an opportunity last year really made the most out of some of his carries...

With White and Jeffery outside it makes sense to have a power running game... Carey is a tweener in that he isn't a pure power guy like Howard but he also isn't a guy who is going to cut it up and make people miss... He is a balanced runner who can give you carries in certain key situations and contribute to the run game by committee idea...

I predict that Howard will see much of the short yardage situations for our team while Carey and Langford switch off in the traditional offense...

Carey should see a lot more opportunities to prove himself with Forte gone.... There is no reason to just hand the job over without a competition... Who cares who drafted who.... Let these guys compete and win a starting job.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Senorise Perry wasn't really expected to be much of RB anyways last year as I recall, he was ST and a return guy. I'd bring back Unga.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I hope not. I think Carey and Langford should be competing for the #1 spot. Howard should have to earn playing time/#1 spot. It would be different if Howard was a 1st round pick. I like Carey the most.

I do think Howard will be a good player.

OR, the Bears could use a 3-headed rushing attack. I'd be fine with that too.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Carey knifes through gaps, he just usually falls down once he's on the LB's. It's like he's good for about 3-4 steps. But if that guy ran the ball 20 times a game he would also average a concussion every game.
That's why he powered through one of the best middle/inside linebackers to play the game for a touchdown.... Righttttt

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It makes zero sense getting rid of a 3rd year RB making peanuts before the roster needs to be 53. Agreed that he needs to be involved in ST if he is to make the roster.

I actually enjoy his running style and hope he sticks on the roster.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
There's no reason to get rid of Carey. He ran hard as fuck last season, and it's not like we're paying him big bucks.

There's nothing wrong with having three solid, young runningbacks. Let's see if any of them can become elite.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's no reason to get rid of Carey. He ran hard as fuck last season, and it's not like we're paying him big bucks.

There's nothing wrong with having three solid, young runningbacks. Let's see if any of them can become elite.

what is harder? shit, fuck or crap

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So Carey can make the team with Forte but not with Howard? OK