The Tape Never Lies- Trubisky shows Life - While the O-Line Struggles

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Regarding Mitch. He is smart enough to understand the playbook. Thats not the issue. The issue is he cant process what he is seeing fast enough to make in time decisions. This leads to not seeing open guys after his first read and high anxiety when throwing causing the inaccuracies. He hasn’t adjusted to the speed of the NFL game and as this is his third year I dont know that he ever will. He is destined to have a long career as a backup IMO.

I think you're spot on with this. Not being able to process the game at NFL speed is the same problem Cutler had. The difference is that where Cutler didn't give a fuck and knew he had an elite arm, he'd just try to force it, whereas Trubisky does care, but doesn't have the confidence and bull headedness, and is hesitant and indecisive, which causes him to just end up lost and either making poor throws or not letting it go at all.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Holy balls...Mitch cant see the field for shit. It was worse than I thought..

He's the anti-Peyton Manning. He has no idea what's going on and isn't in control.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
if i'm not mistaken mitch had a slightly higher wonderlic than mahomes...but the wonderlic doesn't measure instantaneous processing of information. they should make them all play tetris or some video game that they're not used to that requires fast thinking.

mahomes certainly is doing awesome but it's not a fair comparison IMO, he has a way better OL and on some plays last week, for instance on the long Hardman TD, Hardman had 8.3 YARDS of separation...when is the last time you saw mitch throwing to a guy who was 8 yards beyond his closest defender?

Tostada

Liked Posts:
I think you're spot on with this. Not being able to process the game at NFL speed is the same problem Cutler had. The difference is that where Cutler didn't give a fuck and knew he had an elite arm, he'd just try to force it, whereas Trubisky does care, but doesn't have the confidence and bull headedness, and is hesitant and indecisive, which causes him to just end up lost and either making poor throws or not letting it go at all.
That's what he needs. He needs to get a healthy 'fuck it' attitude, but not be toxic or caustic.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
The offensive line has been BAD. It isn't the "sexy" thing to talk about when evaluating an offense which is why Mitch takes the blunt of the blame.

We need the interior line to gel faster after the position changes. I'm surprised it's taking so long considering how much we have invested in the Oline. Don't even get me started on their horrific run blocking. It isn't just Kyle Long.

Kudos to Nagy for adjusting his offensive scheme in week 3 to mask these deficiencies with quick passes and bootlegs.

Luckily, Mitch is miles ahead of where Jay Cutler was at avoiding pressure in the pocket, but he still has a tendency to roll out instead of stepping up in the pocket. Can't say I blame him considering how much pressure comes up the middle, but Mitch did a beautiful job of stepping up in the pocket to set up the game winning field goal in week 2.

I see progress but week 4 will be very telling.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
At least the team is making the exact same mistakes as in the past. Drafting mediocre QBs and ignoring the OL.

Not sure you could really accuse them of ignoring the OL. There's two second round OLmen in there from Pace's four years and that's with the reduced capital from the Trubisky and Mack trades and the Grasu bust.

They absolutely need to hit the position hard in the offseason. I just watched the Eagles OL in action and it was night and day.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
My favorite part was about 13:00 in you'll see David Montgomery throw a great block as noted in the video. He takes down two rushers before Kyle Long can get his hands on them and screw it up

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I wonder if playing for Fox and the Gnome fucked him up. Or if Nagy is too micromanaging. But then I just keep coming to the same conclusion that the Bears fucked up the QB position again. I hope I'm wrong.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
If you fucks can't see how the OL is literally ruining both the passing game and running game, then you are as blind as Ommy is old.
Wait a minute. It isn't possible to be more than 100% blind while Ommy is already over 100 years old.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The offensive line has been BAD. It isn't the "sexy" thing to talk about when evaluating an offense which is why Mitch takes the blunt of the blame.

We need the interior line to gel faster after the position changes. I'm surprised it's taking so long considering how much we have invested in the Oline. Don't even get me started on their horrific run blocking. It isn't just Kyle Long.

Kudos to Nagy for adjusting his offensive scheme in week 3 to mask these deficiencies with quick passes and bootlegs.

Luckily, Mitch is miles ahead of where Jay Cutler was at avoiding pressure in the pocket, but he still has a tendency to roll out instead of stepping up in the pocket. Can't say I blame him considering how much pressure comes up the middle, but Mitch did a beautiful job of stepping up in the pocket to set up the game winning field goal in week 2.

I see progress but week 4 will be very telling.
We talk about the shift being unsuccessful, but let's be realistic. There are multiple plays where more than one interior lineman is instantly being manhandled. Does anyone think that this is because of some shift in position?

I could see it if one interior lineman blew it and the center was not fast enough to cover for his mistake. The fact is that they are all playing like crap against the man right in front of them. There is no need for a stunt or a blitz to destroy the offensive line's blocking. They cannot handle straight up blocking.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
So which of the three redundant posts should i have picked? You are the master of redundancy I will give you that, if it makes you feel any better about yourself. Cheer up
At least your living up to your screen name.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Kyle Long didn't just get walked back on the interception (like he'd been all game). He nearly sat on Mitch. The entire O-line looks soft. Maybe more time in the weight room because it's like they got no power.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
It's clear when Mitch sees his RG getting walked back every damn snap that he's not gonna trust it to hold. The lack of confidence Mitch has in his line is evident and not unjustified. Mitch isn't gonna be the stud I'd hoped he would. But it's also clear this O-line is trash and hampering him a lot. I'd still rather they excelled at run blocking so Montgomery can showcase his obvious skills more. After watching Howard get 5.8 yds per carry against the Packers it should be obvious that blocking on this team is (the) greatest offensive weakness currently. I wanna throw Hiestand under the bus but most of these guys are veteran enough to be better than this. They look weak. To paraphrase BOB we "Need more beef block".

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If re-watching the GB and Denver games in all-22 showed me anything...its that Kyle Long needs to be benched asap. Daniels at least has a reason for his struggles but Long at this point in his career doesn't have a pot to piss in or a leg to stand on.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yep, mitch can not miss those, if you see that, you throw it.
He doesn't see it, he had not time to throw it. You believe he had time to see where the safety was lol. The rush is what grabs his eyes..he drifts right and Kyle Wrong blew his block, forcing a checkdown