The three QB moves I see as most likely to be played by Pace.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
how I think it plays out
1-They go all in on Watson but can’t get it done
2-They consider Fitzpatrick or Alex Smith(if cut) but both choose other options
3-Mitch ends up being their stop gap on a 1 year deal and draft rookie rd 1

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cheaper than Mitch that already (kinda) knows the O? Mariota has a $10.7m salary and would require trade capital to secure.

Yeah, I only like him as a FA option if the Raiders cut him. I am not dealing picks for that pile of mediocrity.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like a new strain of the current disease, I suspect he re-signs Mitch, says it was the plan all along but Mitch needed to test the market and then uses that to smokescreen the draft.

Trubisky will be signed for cheaper than it would have been to tag or pick up a 5th year option for sure. It may not be here.

I don't think the Bears will re-sign Trubisky and pretend it was the master plan. No one believes this.

If the Bears could get better at the QB position they would. They tried for Brady and I'm sure they inquired for Watson.

cosmodinardo

Liked Posts:
I will say I did buy into the bullshit of the Bears being after Wentz. But I now see these 3 paths as the most likely for Pace to follow in his search for a QB.

I can't see him going after the likes of Winston, Newton, Ryan,Dalton.

So here is what I see as most likely in decending order of likelihood.

1) Acquire a former twinkle in his eye.
---Marcus Mariota is likely to be cut , with Carr likely getting an extension, no way they keep a $11.35M backup QB, and I think Pace still has a semi-boner for him. This along with a 3-5th rd rookie as backup, and cut or trade Foles.

2) Trubisky part deux. No not re-signing Trubisky, but moving up in the draft for a QB. Not for TL or JF, but to around #10 for Wilson/Lance/Jones.

3)Go all in on Watson. I just don't think the Bears have the capital for this move, but Pace has been known to like to make big splash moves in the past.

Interesting post. I think option 1 is a possibility, but regarding option 2, Wilson is going to be long gone by pick # 10. Lance and Jones will be the only two "first round" QBs who are still available at that pick. Regarding option # 3, no way. It takes two to tango. First of all, the Texans are going to do everything in their power to wait Watson out bc they do NOT want to trade him, and EVEN if they do trade him, they are going to get far better offers than that the Bears can offer. They would have zero incentive to trade him to Chicago. Watson has a no trade clause, which basically means he will get to select his destination, and I believe he would definitely veto a trade to Chicago. Shitty OL, shitty HC, shitty offensive "scheme" if you can even refer to Nagy's random hodgepodge of plays in that mannter, etc. Why would he want to come here to begin with? lol

I think Pace tries to catch lightning in a bottle on the cheap by trading for a young QB whom he still feels has upside (like a Darnold or a Mariotta) while exploring a trade-up in the first round OR he welcomes Trubs back while moving up in the first round to take a stab at Mac Jones or Lance.

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Replacing Mitch with a faster Mitch would be the most bears move ever. I would rather have someone like Dalton or Winston if you're talking about a FA.

Another most bears move would be to give Jacoby Brissett a Glennon type contract.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Minshew
Darnold
Winston
Dalton
DnLD.gif

twetz

Liked Posts:
There isn't really a QB solution in free agency unless Dak Prescott gets cut loose - very doubtful, right? Jameis Winston didn't QB the Saints when Brees went out with broken ribs - that ought to tell you something, right?

That leaves trades or the draft. Picking at #20 basically leaves you out of range for a QB. We know that any trade is going to be expensive based on the Stafford deal. Is there a veteran worth dealing for outside of Watson? Not really. Nagy isn't going to fix a player like Darnold when he couldn't fix Trubisky over three years.

Here's hoping they know who they can trade up for in the draft.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
There isn't really a QB solution in free agency unless Dak Prescott gets cut loose - very doubtful, right? Jameis Winston didn't QB the Saints when Brees went out with broken ribs - that ought to tell you something, right?

That leaves trades or the draft. Picking at #20 basically leaves you out of range for a QB. We know that any trade is going to be expensive based on the Stafford deal. Is there a veteran worth dealing for outside of Watson? Not really. Nagy isn't going to fix a player like Darnold when he couldn't fix Trubisky over three years.

Here's hoping they know who they can trade up for in the draft.
Whoever they get will basically be a Tyrod Taylor to whatever rookie they draft. Bears aren't going to trot Marcus Mariota or Jacoby Brisset out there and pretend he is The Answer.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
your reaction after the Wentz trade return
Actually that was my reaction for most of 2020 watching the Eagles, hearing Wentz wants a trade, going through the coaching fiasco, finding out Wentz is being traded AND learning what we got back in return.

I'd add I can't claim Jalen Hurts is better than Minshew, Darnold, Winston or Dalton. The only thing I know is that he'll probably be cheaper (assuming a trade for Minshew would include an extension).

But in looking at all 4 of those QBs they don't win. Combined record is 122-146-2 and that's severely padded by Dalton's first 5 seasons of 9+ wins each year (of which he never won a playoff game).

Each one of those guys has talent, but it's just like having Mitch all over again. Different person, same results.

If you are going with any of them, just sign Glennon, start him the entire season and lock up the #1 overall pick. Personally for my Eagles that's who I want as Hurts' backup. If Hurts sucks then put Mike in and let him do his thing.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Definitely not ideal lol but that's pretty much that's all that's realistically left besides overpaying for Dak or Jacoby.
tenor.gif

Overpaying for Brissett? Is that even a thing?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Actually that was my reaction for most of 2020 watching the Eagles, hearing Wentz wants a trade, going through the coaching fiasco, finding out Wentz is being traded AND learning what we got back in return.

I'd add I can't claim Jalen Hurts is better than Minshew, Darnold, Winston or Dalton. The only thing I know is that he'll probably be cheaper (assuming a trade for Minshew would include an extension).

But in looking at all 4 of those QBs they don't win. Combined record is 122-146-2 and that's severely padded by Dalton's first 5 seasons of 9+ wins each year (of which he never won a playoff game).

Each one of those guys has talent, but it's just like having Mitch all over again. Different person, same results.
Why would a trade for Minshew include an extension? He's got two year left on his rookie deal, I don' think drafted players can even sign an extension until after their 3rd season.

You're right though, all bad choices.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Why would a trade for Minshew include an extension? He's got two year left on his rookie deal, I don' think drafted players can even sign an extension until after their 3rd season.

You're right though, all bad choices.
I think Minshew is a career backup. His stats are inflated the same way Blake Bortles was in Jacksonville.

Maybe here's another way of looking at it. The Jags opted to start Glennon over him. You can say they were fighting for #1 overall pick, but that's still very weird. They also have not won with him. Finally other teams prepare for their opponent and watch film. With that super cheap contract no one appears to be asking the Jags for him even with a very low rumored cost.

Dallas knew they had a starter in Dak. Jags know they have a backup in Minshew.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Minshew is a career backup. His stats are inflated the same way Blake Bortles was in Jacksonville.

Maybe here's another way of looking at it. The Jags opted to start Glennon over him. You can say they were fighting for #1 overall pick, but that's still very weird. They also have not won with him. Finally other teams prepare for their opponent and watch film. With that super cheap contract no one appears to be asking the Jags for him even with a very low rumored cost.

Dallas knew they had a starter in Dak. Jags know they have a backup in Minshew.
I didn't say I thought Minshew was a good player.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Pace would be pretty stupid if he replaces Trubisky with Mariota. That does not make the QB position any better. If that was his big QB move then he should be fired right after Mariota signs.
According to PFF the Bears re-sign Trubisky to a two year deal much like the Raiders gave to Mariota last year while looking to the draft for a future replacement. Doubt that would be a first round pick though.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
While I haven't studied Mariota's career on a play-to-play level, I have a hard time imagining that his obliviousness in the pocket and accuracy are quite as troubling as Trubisky's. Maybe I'm wrong.
Can’t see it. If that’s their move, they’re fired.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There is no way Pace/Nagy can try and run it back with Mitch. Right? Right?!

Pace/Nagy had to give a compelling story to George/Teddy about what their plan was and I imagine bringing Mitch back was the very last resort. Safe the cap space and just start fucking Foles for the season if that is the plan and draft a rookie.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
3 1sts and 3 2nds for Watson and a 5th

Get it done Pace

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
According to PFF the Bears re-sign Trubisky to a two year deal much like the Raiders gave to Mariota last year while looking to the draft for a future replacement. Doubt that would be a first round pick though.
A. The article said they believe the Bears will re-sign Mitch. B. I don’t ever listen to PFF because they aren’t relevant when it comes to things like that. They are a statistics site.