The three QB moves I see as most likely to be played by Pace.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I think Minshew is a career backup. His stats are inflated the same way Blake Bortles was in Jacksonville.

Maybe here's another way of looking at it. The Jags opted to start Glennon over him. You can say they were fighting for #1 overall pick, but that's still very weird. They also have not won with him. Finally other teams prepare for their opponent and watch film. With that super cheap contract no one appears to be asking the Jags for him even with a very low rumored cost.

Dallas knew they had a starter in Dak. Jags know they have a backup in Minshew.

Actually, they didn't start Glennon over him.
Minshew started the first 7 games and got hurt.
They then started Luton the next 3 games.
Then Glennon played the next few games before he stunk it up against tenn, Minshew replaced him going 18/31 1 td ,0 int.
Minshew started the next game against Balt losing 40-14 but he went 22/29 2 tds, 0 int
Minshew obviously lost that game and was "benched" for Glennon the last 2 games.
or perhaps just maybe, jax was ensuring the tank playing glennon.
If they do get Minshew, it will be on Flips recommendation.
Bottom line, there are no good options.

Last edited:

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I think and would hope ownership told him he has to work with what he has, after all, he made this fucking mess of a roster. I'm hoping they go LT or WR and roll Foles out there. I don't care about the record next year as long as Nagy and especially Pace are gone.

If they told him this they should have just canned both of their asses. That would be utterly stupid because you're gonna get the same results on offense from the last two years.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
A. The article said they believe the Bears will re-sign Mitch. B. I don’t ever listen to PFF because they aren’t relevant when it comes to things like that. They are a statistics site.
I fully agree that PFF is a stat site..........what they speculate on player movement is just their opinion. Every rumor at this time of year is someone's opinion, nothing is based on any facts. My personal opinion is the Bears are not going to move draft assets for a quarterback like last year with Foles. That leaves a veteran free agent and rookie QB. What's your opinion?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I fully agree that PFF is a stat site..........what they speculate on player movement is just their opinion. Every rumor at this time of year is someone's opinion, nothing is based on any facts. My personal opinion is the Bears are not going to move draft assets for a quarterback like last year with Foles. That leaves a veteran free agent and rookie QB. What's your opinion?
I think most QB needy teams they will do whatever they can to try and get Watson. I can see a push for Winston. After that, they need to lean on the draft and hope to get a rookie who’s ready to go. There are no other available options who would save Pace/Nagy.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually, they didn't start Glennon over him.
Minshew started the first 7 games and got hurt.
They then started Luton the next 3 games.
Then Glennon played the next few games before he stunk it up against tenn, Minshew replaced him going 18/31 1 td ,0 int.
Minshew started the next game against Balt losing 40-14 but he went 22/29 2 tds, 0 int
Minshew obviously lost that game and was "benched" for Glennon the last 2 games.
or perhaps just maybe, jax was ensuring the tank playing glennon.
If they do get Minshew, it will be on Flips recommendation.
Bottom line, there are no good options.

Your first statement is contradicted by Minshew getting benched for Glennon.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. Pick a bad QB

2. Over pay for them

3. Over pay them

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I think most QB needy teams they will do whatever they can to try and get Watson. I can see a push for Winston. After that, they need to lean on the draft and hope to get a rookie who’s ready to go. There are no other available options who would save Pace/Nagy.
IT is just so damn frustrating to see the options for the Bears at QB this off season. Winston, Trubisky, Dalton the best the Bears could do in free agency. Hope Mac Jones falls to #20 or Bears find a gem in round two. I can see why fans hold onto the pipe dream of a Watson trade.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Knowing they have to do something and assuming carr and Watson aren't coming here I think his "options" are

Darnold (could be had draft day, maybe for cheaper, when jets take qb)

Mariotta (could be had for low pick or signed as fa when raiders release)

Minshew (could be had draft day for cheaper when jags take a qb)

It wouldn't surprise me if they try to trade foles, get a lower pick for him this year, sign a vet early in f/a (Dalton/taylor) for less term/cost than foles and make one of the moves above......also possibly move up to 14ish and draft a qb still around like jones/Lance.

When pace focuses on a position he tends to go overboard.....this gives him 3 swings at it and has plenty of built in excuses/possible future "upside".....totally revamps the room and let's him say he's addressed the position.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Watson and Carr aren't coming .
None of the rest are good alternatives but thats what is left.
Mariotta was always one of my first assumptions and could be dealt for a low pick before he is cut. He probably does not want to come here to try and resurrect his career .
I guess Darnold is a possibility but there is a lot to fix ASAP so I don't know. does he want to resurrect his career here?
Flip was Minshews OC in 2019 and he could recommend him.
Lazor was Daltons OC in Cincy so I wouldn't discount that tie in either.
Fitzmagic is a possibility then you really dig down for Brissett, Taylor...
I just can't believe Mitch comes back.
To be clear I could give a shit where Mitch ends up but most of those other guys are just different flavors of available for a reason. :(

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
if that is the attitude of ownership, then they are fucking stupid for not just firing him

"so yeah, we are going to keep you on cause we think there is still a chance. oh, but you get no resources. good luck."
They’re paying him regardless if he’s here or not it’s a contract

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trying to imagine Pace and Nagy trotting out Mariota and saying "Ladies and gentlemen, we got him."

The word "Excited" will be used repeatedly. Gawd I hope they don't overspend against themselves like they did for Glennon and Jimmy Graham. Yes, they need a cheap vet. CHEAP vet.

Unloading Foles will only happen if a trade partner is willing to take his contract right? Then Bears draft a QB with a FA bridge/backup vet outside of Foles. I'm indifferent TBH. I suppose we've seen Foles can do with Nagy. Curious what another vet could do (I mean salvage/put up with) with Nagy.

All that said, Bears MUST not blow their draft capital when OL is needed x2. Or any of the QBs will suffer Mitch's fate or no run game or protection + Nagy's stubborn plays. Uggh. Need these '21 picks for OL!!!

mecha

Liked Posts:
how about draft your own quarterback with your first round pick that you haven't had available for years due to past obscene trades. then you don't need a "cheap" veteran (aka. some other team's table scraps they're desperate to dump).

I'm your conscience.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't shake the feeling the Bears are going to bring in another Vet and hope for the best bridging to a draft pick.

I don't like spending draft capital unless it's a clear upgrade over Trubisky. I'm not sure who warrants that. Carr is going to be too costly, probably a couple firsts. Winston would be ideal if we're going all in but isn't realistic. I don't think even the Texans are stupid enough to repeat the Hopkins trade.

Ultimately I think we go with a Tyrod Taylor / Fitzmagic / Dalton rather than a Mariota / Winston.

I wish FA and the draft would get here so we could start seeing how the pieces come into place. Speculation is dragging on too long.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cheaper than Mitch that already (kinda) knows the O? Mariota has a $10.7m salary and would require trade capital to secure. It's possible that the Raiders cut him but they can keep him until Sept without penalty so not to likely he moves without a trade. No roster bonus nor guaranteed money left in his contract. Raiders are in the driver's seat on this one and may just choose to keep him anyway.

Raiders again, quick, call Pace, he will over compensate us for sure

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We're going to end up with Sam Darnold. Which would be great if we had Andy Reid as our head coach. Instead, we have one of Andy Reid's wet bowel movements as our head coach.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
tenor.gif

Overpaying for Brissett? Is that even a thing?

I was going to say the same thing, why would any team overpay for Jacoby? He actually most likely stays with the Colts as he is a good backup for an oft injured QB like Wentz unless I missed something. Maybe he wants to be a starter and is willing to try another team to do that, but I think his bread is better buttered staying as a backup and potentially getting the starting job if Wentz goes down.

Speed

Liked Posts:
I don't watch the Jags, but what's up with Minshew? The ceiling might not be crazy, but the numbers look decent from the outside looking in. As far as some of the other bridge name's being called out like Darnold whose objectively trash I think I would rather have Minshew.