The truth on Allen Robinson

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Amari Cooper and Arob(soon) getting these contracts is crazy. They aren't Julio(in his prime)/DeAndre/or even Hill.

I think Cooper is in between Robinson and Sammy Watkins personally. I always wanted Robinson, I was a big fan of his at Jax and to be totally honest we've seen him catch 110 balls but we haven't even seen his best because of the deep ball accuracy and struggles blocking for 3 seconds.

He is far more of a "cotton picker" in Lovie Smiths terms, than we have seen. He seemed a bit hampered off injury the first year, but after that I think its been our QB and system holding back his true potential. He's better than Cooper. He's longer and runs just as good of routes and great timing, great hands.

Sammy Watkins is a massive waste of money but at the same price Robinson is worth it. Get the man a QB and keep him. I think thats all he really wants, is to be recognized by his paycheck and have a decent QB.

If you put 100,000,000 on his deal, I think Robinson is happy no matter what the details or guarantees or opt outs are. He just wants to be that guy and seen, and then he wants to be able to perform and needs a life partner QB.

Robinson would look damn good in Indy. Wouldn't that be a bitch? Or fuck all if he got to Green Bay and created an Adams double X dilemma.

The dude will be succesful wherever he goes and we are just stupid, over thought this one.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...it took us 40 years to find a Robinson and the idiot Ryan Pace let him get away.

Does no one remember what it was like to have Booker and the other Robinson(Marcus?) one season wonders as the only rays of light in 30 years?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...it took us 40 years to find a Robinson and the idiot Ryan Pace let him get away.

Does no one remember what it was like to have Booker and the other Robinson(Marcus?) one season wonders as the only rays of light in 30 years?

He's not gone yet........

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears cannot afford to not have Robinson.

There is no one on the team that can be a guaranteed number 1 receiver. Robinson is not a top ten number one in the league, but he is the closest thing the Bears have to a number one.

Miller and Mooney are not there.

Yeah...we will be sorry without the respect he brought. I fear Miller and Mooney would be shit without him and the offense would tank even if we weren't headed toward a downgrade at QB.

I suppose the "tank" is on and we should start moving assets for whatever returns we can get. Sell everyone then. No point in this shit. Pace drove us into the ground.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's not gone yet........
Unless we get a QB I fear sign and trade is our only option.

Its like a secondary price we have to pay, losing a 1st round talent, because we wouldn't spend a first on Wentz. We get Wentz and then Robinson signs and thats kinda even better than a 1st round WR at 20.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Brandon Marshall was on the Bears 40 years ago? Man time flys by!

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Its like a secondary price we have to pay, losing a 1st round talent, because we wouldn't spend a first on Wentz. We get Wentz and then Robinson signs and thats kinda even better than a 1st round WR at 20.
Wentz didn’t want to be in Chicago, so how were we supposed to get him?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

tag is an option

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
tag is an option
Right...but the way this works recently is he will hold out and force a trade if we do that. We will get a second or third and fifth type package to move him after 6 weeks of media drama post draft. Without a QB he will not waste any more time or body risk on us, imo.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wentz didn’t want to be in Chicago, so how were we supposed to get him?
Because he's under contract, at odds with his current team/GM, and had no leverage. Sure he could have left but at that price 2-3 years to make him happy and win...

its the state of our current team. For me Wentz would have changed everything. Carr changes everything. You go all-in and try to win the next 2 years.

Without a good QB just fucking fire sale this shit. Totally pointless years are coming. Pace drove us in a ditch and the tow truck is backed up with jobs for 8 hours. Its gonna be a while.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right...but the way this works recently is he will hold out and force a trade if we do that. We will get a second or third and fifth type package to move him after 6 weeks of media drama post draft. Without a QB he will not waste any more time or body risk on us, imo.

not necessarily.

It is monetarily prohibitive for many to sit out during a tag with the current CBA.

In 2019, for example, 6 players were tagged. 1 was traded, 4 signed extensions with existing team and 1 played under the tag.

Many players do sit out, but only until the season starts.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
not necessarily.

It is monetarily prohibitive for many to sit out during a tag with the current CBA.

In 2019, for example, 6 players were tagged. 1 was traded, 4 signed extensions with existing team and 1 played under the tag.

Many players do sit out, but only until the season starts.
Maybe your right.

Thats not my sense with this player in this situation, but I do hope you are right. I like the player alot.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe your right.

Thats not my sense with this player in this situation, but I do hope you are right. I like the player alot.

It is entirely possible he sits out. That is an option for him.

He will be 28 and 29 over the next two years. Bears may not want him past 30. The may prefer to pay him 16m and 19m respectively. They also may want to see how free agency goes and the QB sit before they commit long term. After the tag they can always negotiate, trade or pay the tag.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
I know I'll probably will be in the minority but no athlete or actor is worth $20 to 40 million a year. See the contract that Tatis signed for? B
He better be able, at that salary, to hit .367, 60 hrs and 200 rbi's. And then in a couple of years if a club tries to trade them they have to eat a giant salary. AS a Union cabinetmaker in Chicago when I retired 20 years ago I was making $25.25 an hour. Even today that was a lot of money. But even with all the overtime I worked I still never made close to $100,000 a year. Don't know when it started but players make more than the owners which is screwed up. Owners made the investment with their own money. But then again as taxpayers we pay for the structures the team plays in. Seems everyone hates the one per cent if they own a business or such, but aren't these overpaid players also the 1%? Along with you guys I worked for what I have. Ni gov't handouts but here we sit talking about millionaires. As you grow older your priorities change..watch.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know I'll probably will be in the minority but no athlete or actor is worth $20 to 40 million a year. See the contract that Tatis signed for? B
He better be able, at that salary, to hit .367, 60 hrs and 200 rbi's. And then in a couple of years if a club tries to trade them they have to eat a giant salary. AS a Union cabinetmaker in Chicago when I retired 20 years ago I was making $25.25 an hour. Even today that was a lot of money. But even with all the overtime I worked I still never made close to $100,000 a year. Don't know when it started but players make more than the owners which is screwed up. Owners made the investment with their own money. But then again as taxpayers we pay for the structures the team plays in. Seems everyone hates the one per cent if they own a business or such, but aren't these overpaid players also the 1%? Along with you guys I worked for what I have. Ni gov't handouts but here we sit talking about millionaires. As you grow older your priorities change..watch.

They are worth what someone is willing to pay them based on market forces.

No one is filling a stadium of seats worth over $100 a pop to watch cabinetmakers. They are filling them to watch Tatis, Mahomes, Brady, etc...

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Bears cannot afford to not have Robinson.

There is no one on the team that can be a guaranteed number 1 receiver. Robinson is not a top ten number one in the league, but he is the closest thing the Bears have to a number one.

Miller and Mooney are not there.

I think some of the previous points though are that a True #1 in today's pass happy NFL is not really needed. Its more important to have a quality collection of talent at WR/TE/RB than having this concept of a True #1.

Now maybe having a True #1 matters for a team with a rookie/inexperienced QB because its a security blanket, ok I can agree with that. But the better QB's in the league don't need a #1 in the original sense. Look at Watson from Houston, he has arguable his best year as a pro on paper and he did it with out a true #1. Cooks and Fuller were is leading WR's. Given Mooney's progression at the end of the season, had he had the same # of Targets as Cooks or even ARob, he would have put up "#1" numbers.

I would gladly take 2 WR's in the mold of Mooney, a young TE in Kmet, a work horse like Monty and a Change of Pace Back (like a Curtis Samual or Cohen) and 2 larger WR's in the mold of say a Nico Collins (6'4 coming out of Michigan) that are my Jump Ball Type guys and call it a day if I have a competent QB. But there in lies the issue, having a competent QB...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think some of the previous points though are that a True #1 in today's pass happy NFL is not really needed. Its more important to have a quality collection of talent at WR/TE/RB than having this concept of a True #1.

Now maybe having a True #1 matters for a team with a rookie/inexperienced QB because its a security blanket, ok I can agree with that. But the better QB's in the league don't need a #1 in the original sense. Look at Watson from Houston, he has arguable his best year as a pro on paper and he did it with out a true #1. Cooks and Fuller were is leading WR's. Given Mooney's progression at the end of the season, had he had the same # of Targets as Cooks or even ARob, he would have put up "#1" numbers.

I would gladly take 2 WR's in the mold of Mooney, a young TE in Kmet, a work horse like Monty and a Change of Pace Back (like a Curtis Samual or Cohen) and 2 larger WR's in the mold of say a Nico Collins (6'4 coming out of Michigan) that are my Jump Ball Type guys and call it a day if I have a competent QB. But there in lies the issue, having a competent QB...

This team has relied heavily on Robinson the past few years.

You are assuming targets equals longitudinal success. Mooney may very well become a great receiver, but simply targeting him more may not result the same success.

Receivers are more than stat sheets. It is their ability to get open, sell a route fake, etc. Stuff off the ball you don't see. By all accounts Robinson is really good at that.

Simply saying if a receiver gets more targets his stats will go up by x is not nearly a given as you think.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

you don’t know when it started because it hasn’t started. Owners make a fuck ton more than players do

DB012031

Liked Posts:
This team has relied heavily on Robinson the past few years.

You are assuming targets equals longitudinal success. Mooney may very well become a great receiver, but simply targeting him more may not result the same success.

Receivers are more than stat sheets. It is their ability to get open, sell a route fake, etc. Stuff off the ball you don't see. By all accounts Robinson is really good at that.

Simply saying if a receiver gets more targets his stats will go up by x is not nearly a given as you think.

Yes and No. That is, in essence, the purpose of statistics. You take the data you have and extrapolate it out. Mooney had around 55ish less targets than Arob and was catching about 70% of balls thrown his way. So if he had even 50 more targets and continues his tread of catching 70% of the balls his way, that would have given him 35 more catches and he was averaging about 11 yards a catch so that would have brought him to over 1000 yards on the season.

There really is no perfect science on how to construct a team, I just believe that the concept of having a #1 is a completely overrated concept, you seem to disagree. All is good!

Reactions: DC