This is going to be the most entertaining Bears offense in history.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will wait until someone catches a pass in a real game before claiming this offense will be the shit. Excited to see what Nagy can do but ya'll acting like he is guaranteed to succeed when he could just be a bust like previous head coaches.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
You realize how misleading that is? Martz's offense was ranked high in intermediate throws. The money throws that gain first downs. That offense also led us to the NFC Championship game where had Cutler not been injured there was an actual shot we could have beat the Packers. So while the rankings may have been bad for total offense...that doesn't paint an accurate picture considering the cast he did it with.

His first year in 2009 we finished 7-9 and did nothing, and his second year we finished 11-5, and I would attribute lots of that success to our defense. Martz may have "technically" did some good things, he did nothing praise worthy IMO.

Washington

Liked Posts:
For me, it will be hard to top the Bears 2013 season in terms of offensive excitement. Forte had career highs 1300+ rushing yards and TDs, and Alshon and Marshall each with well over 1000 yards receiving. Sure the season was a disaster, but the offensive output was fun.

The numbers were good but the offense overall was very boring. It was more fun when McCown was in who obviously ran it better than Cutler but overall the weapons the Bears had shined more than the offense itself.

I'll take productive with boring. That is exactly what our defense is today. Vic never brings the goods and it is not an attacking D. It is productive and boring. That works for me. 2013 was the best O I've seen from the team as a whole in 50+ years.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
And Cutler is a coach killer who would blame his failures on calls and coaching even by hinting his frustration in calls or offense to other players,

QB throws playbook under bus. Other teammates lose morale.

That’s why leadership is important at the position. Cutler is supposed to lead not put that on a nerd like Trestman.

does anyone think Trestman was thrown under the bus by mgmt. for wanting to replace Cutler w/ McCown?

Maybe the guy got hosed by his DC and GM

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I'll take productive with boring. That is exactly what our defense is today. Vic never brings the goods and it is not an attacking D. It is productive and boring. That works for me. 2013 was the best O I've seen from the team as a whole in 50+ years.
I have been a Bear fan since 1961 and would agree that 2013 was the best Bears O I have ever seen to this point. I would say that this 2018 team looks to be even better on paper.

This off season has been the first one I have seen that has been this offensive centric, giving Trubisky all of these weapons at one time. In 2018 it has been all about Mitch...........Now it is up to him to take that next step much like Wentz and Goff did in their second year.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The only parallel I can draw between Trestman's team and Nagy's team is that both of those rosters got me super pumped for football. The offensive overhaul this off-season has brought back that same feeling. Except this time its amped up a notch because we are going into this knowing we retained Fangio, the vast majority of the defensive roster and added a baller in Roquan to it.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
His first year in 2009 we finished 7-9 and did nothing, and his second year we finished 11-5, and I would attribute lots of that success to our defense. Martz may have "technically" did some good things, he did nothing praise worthy IMO.

In 2009, Martz was at NFL Network and Ron Turner was the shit play caller.

Xero is right here, and Martz tempered his pass-happy 7 step drops into decent point production despite having questionable talent at WR and less than questionable talent at OL. The defense those years should get top billing and lion's share of the credit, you are right. But in 2011 towards Week 5 or so, Martz fhad the offense humming along putting up nearly 30 points per game and we were looking like division champ repeaters, then the injury to Cutler and Hanie happened.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As exciting as the 2013 skill position talent was, I never believed in Cutler to win even if they had made the playoffs. I don't believe Trubisky is a natural loser and therefore my optimism is higher this year even if the overall talent (Marshall, Jeffery, Forte, Bennett) was higher, or at least more proven, than this year (Robinson, Miller, Howard, Burton).

Having a far better defense than they did five years ago also helps.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I will stand by my previous post that the 2013 offense was much better. 2013 Bears offense finished SECOND in the entire league in points scored. We even scored more points than the Patriots that year. Alshon and Marshall each had over 1200 yards, Forte had career high rushing totals.

2013 offense wasn't entertaining. I'd rather watch the 06 offense. That was entertainment.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
In 2009, Martz was at NFL Network and Ron Turner was the shit play caller.

Xero is right here, and Martz tempered his pass-happy 7 step drops into decent point production despite having questionable talent at WR and less than questionable talent at OL. The defense those years should get top billing and lion's share of the credit, you are right. But in 2011 towards Week 5 or so, Martz fhad the offense humming along putting up nearly 30 points per game and we were looking like division champ repeaters, then the injury to Cutler and Hanie happened.

Yes, you are correct. I meant 2010 and 2011.... not 2009 and 2010.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Yes, you are correct. I meant 2010 and 2011.... not 2009 and 2010.

No problem. And xero is still right about Martz getting the offense going. 2011 was the best I saw this offense under Lovie outside 2006. The yards were a bit lower but going into Week 10 or 11 before the Oakland game we were one of the highest scoring teams in the league. And the final total yards have to be adjusted for the fact that we had 5 or 6 games with Hanie who became Captain 3-and-out and we lost the playoffs. Martz was unhappy the whole time though here and no one was surprised to see him bolt, but he wasn't a shit OC. Not at all.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Why did you give 2009's record though?

Because I was discussing Martz and his 2 years with the Bears. I thought it was 09 and 10 so I posted the 09 record. OJC was correct that he was here 10 and 11, so I should have discussed the 10 and 11 seasons.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Drink the fucking Kool-Aid ya Son of a Bitch! Its May!