This Might Be The Best Draft...

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The only thing that was odd to me was that Bilbo Loggains and Old Man Fox River didn't use Shaheen more in the red zone. He can't throw the ball to himself and certainly isn't going to get it thrown to him when he's not out there running routes. They developed him as a blocker far more than as the pass catching TE he was billed as being. The damn kid caught the vast majority of what little was thrown to him. I certainly can't fault him for not having a better rookie season.

They were just starting to use Shaheen more then he missed the last 4 games with injury. I like the slower way they brought him along and made him learn to block before throwing him to the wolfs. They were easing him in. Fox did well in letting the young guys get some experience but not overburdening them.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Might want to see these guys play before we crown their asses.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
We drafted three quality starters as our first three picks. Two could be "ridiculously" good. After that, It becomes Pace time where he drafts players not from their past production but to be developed into future depth. A bit of gambling here for an "upside." The UDFAs are my favorite part of the offseason! That's just "Dumpster Diving!" but on occasion.....you find those diamonds in the rough.....and flesh the roster out.

All in all.....A pretty good haul for Nagy/Pace.

Still concerned as to Edge and DE......and I hope that at least one of our brilliant Dumpster Discoveries is a CB or an S.....

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Let's hold off on the Shaheen hate until we see what Nagy does with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in 2nd in receiving yards and 1st in TDs on the team. I see him getting around 800 - 900 yards and 10 TDs.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I would say this whole offseason so far has been refreshing

Pace got his guy @hc while retaining a successful dc despite there being a market beyond the bears for naggy and Fangio services

His fa this year was night and day to the failures of his past. We weren’t spurned for other teams. We got top guys to buy into what is going on here. We didn’t lose our promising young talent-some will harp about Meredith I really didn’t care much for him and his vulture stats from Jeffrey

And the draft was pretty damn solid

So overall this whole offseason was tits. I think we will be a solid team this year and another solid offseason away from being a dominate franchise if all these pieces work out
usa_today_9913537.0.jpg

Liked Posts:
I'll tell you that a pick that I'm really warming up to more & more as I watch more on him is Bilal Nichols. When I first saw the pick I figured him as a sensible/meets a need 2 gap DE & 1 Shade DT in the 4-3 sub. I do believe he can be an asset in those areas.

However it doesn't stop with that. The kid actually has a solid little jab step, overhand swim/clobber, & little quick twitch too & can help some as a pass rushing 3 TECH DE, 4i DE, & either one of the 3 TECH DT/ 1 Shade DT in the 4-3 Sub. Nichols looks to be more than just a run defending space eating DE, he looks the par as a fairly decent passrusher also. I like Nichols more & more.

He could really eventually help round out what could be a nice starting three with himself, Hicks & Goldman.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
As far as the last 4 picks go, no one knows for sure right now. You could have another Eddie Jackson/Tarik Cohen in there, or maybe someone more like Charles Leno who took a while to eventually become a a solid starter. Or they could flame out entirely. It's hard to see Iggy playing much without some serious injuries ahead of him. Wims has A-Rob, Gabriel and Miller ahead of him while likely competing with White. The two guys you could maybe see become a part of rotation earlier than later are Nichols and Fitts. There's definitely room for a guy like Nichols who figures to be able to play DE with some NT perhaps on passing downs. We obviously need some more edge rushing talent so Fitts will get a chance to rotate in.

First 3 picks obviously look like day 1 starters, potentially very good ones at that. If that turns out that way, that's already a win, then the later picks are gravy. Pace and company definitely giving everyone something to be excited about.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Small school TE who doesn't know how to block, learns how to block and leads team in receiving TD's as a rookie. Fans unhappy with him...

Not this guy!! I was stoked about the Shaheen pick and I still am. Last year he looked pudgy and soft. If he hardens the fuck up, he is a mismatch nightmare!! 6'7", 265, and can run, jump, and catch? I foresee Shaheen catching a LOT of TDs from Mitch in the coming years.

Liked Posts:

IMO, If there is an achilles heal to this offseason it was not addressing the RT position. I know a lot of people believe that an edge rusher should have been addressed early & I dont disagree with that, but I do think the Bears can scrape up 7-10 sacks, even if it's 7-10 sacks by committee from one side of the defensive formation.

On the other hand Massie is fucking terrible, & the Bears really dont have a replacement now, or even someone to develop now for when Massie is out the door. The Bears had two QBs injured in Massies first year trying to pass the ball & Massie was part of the problem. The only reason Massie wasn't as terrible last year was because of how often the Bears ran the ball & they didnt leave the door open for him to get the QB killed.

IMO, one way or another, RT should have been adressed

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IMO, If there is an achilles heal to this offseason it was not addressing the RT position. I know a lot of people believe that an edge rusher should have been addressed early & I dont disagree with that, but I do think the Bears can scrape up 7-10 sacks, even if it's 7-10 sacks by committee from one side of the defensive formation.

On the other hand Massie is fucking terrible, & the Bears really dont have a replacement now, or even someone to develop now for when Massie is out the door. The Bears had two QBs injured in Massies first year trying to pass the ball & Massie was part of the problem. The only reason Massie wasn't as terrible last year was because of how often the Bears ran the ball & they didnt leave the door open for him to get the QB killed.

IMO, one way or another, RT should have been adressed

You may be right about the lower amount of passing but among all RT's in the NFL Massie was dead in the middle of them in terms of pass protection. He's actually improved each year somewhat. I like many would like to upgrade the position but for the time being he's halfway decent. I'll say this much, it didn't do him any favors at all to have a really gimped and underperforming Kyle Long directly beside him.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Sweat or Oronkowo would have made it a perfect draft imo.

But you never really know, maybe those guys were numbskulls. We aren’t privy to the types of interviews that they go through.

I think this is a very valid point. Almost every Bears fan would likely have taken an EDGE like Sweat. Pace didn't feel the need and he clearly rates Iggy. He must have his own valid reasons why. Furthermore if Fangio wanted an extra OLB instead of another ILB and was convinced by Sweat or one of the others I am sure his voice would have been heard.

Sweat has potential problems with his knee and I don't believe Oronkowo fits the length profile Fangio likes but I may be wrong.

FWIW on tape Iggy looks like a player and we have had some injury problems at this position. Anyone here expecting Trevathan to last all season?

Sign Houston and/or Galette and we're set at OLB at least for this season. Admittedly Floyd has injury concerns but the one last season where he was taken out by one of ours is just plain unlucky. You can't legislate for that.