This should get the juices flowing!!

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Elite Intangibles
Elite athletic ability

Develop the rest.

I would be fine if they took Mariota.

QBs rarely "develop" accuracy after coming into the NFL, and Mariota struggles to complete passes past 15 yards. His ball placement in passes under 15 yards is also suspect, but was mitigated by how open Oregon's receivers were. I don't see how he's ever going to become a successful NFL passer.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
My gut instinct is long term Mariota will turn out better than Winston, despite Winston being the 'hot' pick right now. Disregarding all the issues about systems and how prepared they are right now, look at all the great QBs and they have the same cool head, professionalism on and off the field and leadership skills. Personality is a massive factor in the makeup of a great QB and I like Mariota's attitude a lot more. I'd love us to draft him if he's still there but I seriously doubt he will be.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QBs rarely "develop" accuracy after coming into the NFL, and Mariota struggles to complete passes past 15 yards. His ball placement in passes under 15 yards is also suspect, but was mitigated by how open Oregon's receivers were. I don't see how he's ever going to become a successful NFL passer.

As much as I would love a new QB, I agree with this. I want a QB who can be accurate within the speed of the pro game and Mariota doesn't seem like that kind of player.

A QB with an average arm but who is able to read NFL defenses and make quick, smart decisions and throw an accurate ball are what matter to me, much more than freakish athletic ability or a giant cannon arm.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

This. Mariota can't rely on completing 5 yard passes and let his WR/RB's run for yards and TD's in the NFL. All these intangibles and athleticism don't mean crap if you can't throw the ball accurately past 10 yards.

Reactions: DC

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
As much as I would love a new QB, I agree with this. I want a QB who can be accurate within the speed of the pro game and Mariota doesn't seem like that kind of player.

A QB with an average arm but who is able to read NFL defenses and make quick, smart decisions and throw an accurate ball are what matter to me, much more than freakish athletic ability or a giant cannon arm.

Oregons offense is faster than the pro game.. Mariota compares to Tannehil, with more athleticism. Not the best down field thrower, but spreads the ball around pretty well and is decisive.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Mariota is very difficult to project as an NFL player because he just plays a completely different game than he will have to play in the NFL.

He plays backyard football where he breaks contain and becomes a threat to run or throw, and either finds a wide open receiver or runs for a chunk of yards (and he's great at it and a lot of fun to watch).

But you almost never see him sit comfortably in the pocket and go through his progressions, or make a nice anticipation throw. When teams are able to contain him in the pocket, he looks very uncomfortable, and tends to get sacked and/or fumble. 31 sacks taken last year was way too many for a guy with such good size and athleticism playing with so much talent around him.

Then again, he has phenomenal athleticism, good size and strength, a good (not great) arm, and good intangibles.

I think Donovan McNabb was similar coming out of Syracuse, and he adapted and had success in the NFL, but I knew at the time McNabb was extremely smart so I was pretty high on him.

All that being said, I wouldn't draft Mariota #7 overall unless I was sure that he's extremely intelligent. He will have a lot of learning and adjusting to do. If doesn't, he's probably going to bust out of the NFL. He's also not a day 1 rookie starter unless you plan on going 2-14.

On a totally tangential note, I thought the other QB from Oregon (Mannion from Oregon St) threw the ball better than Mariota at the combine (then again, Mannion's 40 yard dash time was like an hour and a half compared to Mariota's 4.52).

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. Mariota can't rely on completing 5 yard passes and let his WR/RB's run for yards and TD's in the NFL. All these intangibles and athleticism don't mean crap if you can't throw the ball accurately past 10 yards.

Hasn't stopped Cutler from having a 10 year career.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mariota is very difficult to project as an NFL player because he just plays a completely different game than he will have to play in the NFL.

He plays backyard football where he breaks contain and becomes a threat to run or throw, and either finds a wide open receiver or runs for a chunk of yards (and he's great at it and a lot of fun to watch).

But you almost never see him sit comfortably in the pocket and go through his progressions, or make a nice anticipation throw. When teams are able to contain him in the pocket, he looks very uncomfortable, and tends to get sacked and/or fumble. 31 sacks taken last year was way too many for a guy with such good size and athleticism playing with so much talent around him.

Then again, he has phenomenal athleticism, good size and strength, a good (not great) arm, and good intangibles.

I think Donovan McNabb was similar coming out of Syracuse, and he adapted and had success in the NFL, but I knew at the time McNabb was extremely smart so I was pretty high on him.

All that being said, I wouldn't draft Mariota #7 overall unless I was sure that he's extremely intelligent. He will have a lot of learning and adjusting to do. If doesn't, he's probably going to bust out of the NFL. He's also not a day 1 rookie starter unless you plan on going 2-14.

On a totally tangential note, I thought the other QB from Oregon (Mannion from Oregon St) threw the ball better than Mariota at the combine (then again, Mannion's 40 yard dash time was like an hour and a half compared to Mariota's 4.52).

Agreed! So why the hell is Hundley so revered by some on this MB?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would take Winston today, tomorrow and twice on Sunday before Mariota and I dislike Winston as well. MM has zero accuracy beyond 15 yards, he onl;y takes safe throws and that sometimes doesnt work in the nfl especially with defenses being faster and more aggressive and when teams contain him in the pocket he isnt much of a threat. Yes he is a great athlete and has a big arm but that only goes so far especially in this city.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hasn't stopped Cutler from having a 10 year career.

Bitch please. Act like Cutler has been nothing but a burden all you want but he has shown to be pretty good and can actually pass the ball down field. Hyatt why dont you just start a Cutler thread since that is what you were aiming for anyways?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oregons offense is faster than the pro game.. Mariota compares to Tannehil, with more athleticism. Not the best down field thrower, but spreads the ball around pretty well and is decisive.

If that actually comes to pass, then we, along with a few other teams, will come to regret not pulling the trigger when we had the chance.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
A better comparison would be kaep with less arm strength and overall strength in general

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sure the fact you're a Cutler slurper has nothing to do with that.....

Actually it doesn't, but nice try. I believe Mariota will be a bust. Winston is way better than Mariota and this is a weak QB class.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I would take Winston today, tomorrow and twice on Sunday before Mariota and I dislike Winston as well. MM has zero accuracy beyond 15 yards, he onl;y takes safe throws and that sometimes doesnt work in the nfl especially with defenses being faster and more aggressive and when teams contain him in the pocket he isnt much of a threat. Yes he is a great athlete and has a big arm but that only goes so far especially in this city.

But he cares

Chad_Thomas89

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Bitch please. Act like Cutler has been nothing but a burden all you want but he has shown to be pretty good and can actually pass the ball down field. Hyatt why dont you just start a Cutler thread since that is what you were aiming for anyways?
Cutler deep ball has been pretty bad lately.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't believe so many posters actually think Mariotta is a great pick. How many qbs just like him have come and gone with zero super bowls?

No. Hell no to Marcus Mariotta.