Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Don’t remind me about T. Jones....the perfectly acceptable starting RB the Bears had before they burned a 1st round pick on C. Benson.
I hate to bring it up but that year we could have used a quarterback and Aaron Rodgers was there at #4,#5,#6,#7,#8 etc etc etc etc etc......

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That O line feature Tait Brown and Kreutz.

Could Montgomery look different behind them?

Today he will have a backup center and Coward and Leno.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I told y’all when he was drafted. But the board loved the pick. Loved it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I told y’all when he was drafted. But the board loved the pick. Loved it.

Because it was a solid value pick. Getting him at that spot was a good deal.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to wait until we dont have the worst run oline in the league before I label him a bust. I heavily doubt any non elite back is capable of doing much more behind this trash. Look at Mike Davis, guy is beasting, and he couldnt get a snap last year for us. If you think it's monty thats the problem, then your football knowledge might be the problem.

Or I guess you can just be you and label a player a bust before he even takes a snap. Gotta love the CCS meatballs.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Montgomery wasn't even that good in college. It amazes me people thought he was going to suddenly become good at the NFL level. The only thing he does well is break tackles, but usually only after he picks up a head of steam, which is almost never playing behind this offensive line. He can't make something out of nothing, he has no gamebreaking speed, and he doesn't make anybody miss in the hole.

He's a complimentary backup RB at this level, and I've seen absolutely nothing in his 2 years to indicate otherwise.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Montgomery wasn't even that good in college. It amazes me people thought he was going to suddenly become good at the NFL level. The only thing he does well is break tackles, but usually only after he picks up a head of steam, which is almost never playing behind this offensive line. He can't make something out of nothing, he has no gamebreaking speed, and he doesn't make anybody miss in the hole.

He's a complimentary backup RB at this level, and I've seen absolutely nothing in his 2 years to indicate otherwise.

He's actually pretty decent in the passing game too. We just never use him.

It's one of the reasons nagy drafted him. But, of course, nagy prefers not to use his players how he planned to.

Monty is not flashy, but he's not a backup RB. You say you've seen nothing these two years, well, that makes sense because he's running behind the worst line in modern franchise history.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Actually, if you compare Jones in his second season to Montgomery now, Montgomery is actually better.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

I'm sorry, but I'm going to wait until we dont have the worst run oline in the league before I label him a bust. I heavily doubt any non elite back is capable of doing much more behind this trash. Look at Mike Davis, guy is beasting, and he couldnt get a snap last year for us. If you think it's monty thats the problem, then your football knowledge might be the problem.

Or I guess you can just be you and label a player a bust before he even takes a snap. Gotta love the CCS meatballs.
Solid value pick? What the hell are you talking about? They traded up to get there.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Solid value pick? What the hell are you talking about? They traded up to get there.

Yea, and he was projected by a lot of people to be taken in the 2nd round as the best back behind josh jacobs.

Thus, value.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's actually pretty decent in the passing game too. We just never use him.

It's one of the reasons nagy drafted him. But, of course, nagy prefers not to use his players how he planned to.

Monty is not flashy, but he's not a backup RB. You say you've seen nothing these two years, well, that makes sense because he's running behind the worst line in modern franchise history.
I agree with msadows,

He is decent between the tackles runner with plus size and power for goaline and short yardage, and could have a dynamite screen game, he is a plus plus receiving fat back.

He is being employed as Mr. Everything behind a real bonfied shit o-line and system all out of sorts from personnel.

Cohen, Montgomery, and a quality multipurpose back isn't terrible before injuries.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Trading up for a RB already kills the value of that pick.

Uhh, no.

Not when that RB was projected to be the 2nd RB off the board by most draftnicks.

If he drops, and you trade up for him, thats still value.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Montgomery can break tackles, that's assured. What I don't understand is why Nagy doesn't try to get Monte into some favorable matchups in the passing game (he seems to have decent hands from what I've seen). If he can get him into space with just a defender or two, he's got a good chance of shaking off those tackles. He doesn't have homerun speed, so it might not be a TD, but I don't think anyone here would scoff at some 15-20 yard gains.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
Outside of Walter, I think Thomas Jones is probably my next favorite Bear of the modern era. I loved his physical style of play. It matched the Bears offense back then so well. It was such a blue-collar, lunch pail group of guys. I know the offense wasn’t prolific much of the time, but they could ground and pound people. I miss those days. It reminds me how much I hate Nagy’s offense.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Uhh, no.

Not when that RB was projected to be the 2nd RB off the board by most draftnicks.

If he drops, and you trade up for him, thats still value.
2nd projected RB is still a RB, the most replaceable position in football.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

A value pick is not a guy you can make a case for upgrading every year he is a starter. Especially at running back where the middle rounds where teams are finding productive players. He’s averaging 3.7 YPC again. It would be one thing if he flashed every once in a blue moon running the ball but it never fucking happens. I don’t care how shit the oline is if you are getting a handoff 15 times every game you have to bust a big run every once in a while. Sure he has a good contact balance and can break a tackle but then he gets tackled 2-3 yards later. Piano back Monty has no juice. He blows.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any chance we can turn this into a poll???? I'm dying to find out the answer....