Thoughts and Observations Week 15 49ers

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Offense

-I thought Nagy had a good game, he was aggressive when he needed to be, had some great play calls when the Bears needed a TD, and got Trubisky into a rhythm against a heavy zone defense, with an OL that was mediocre.

-This was an efficient unspectacular game for Trubisky that the Bears can win with in the playoffs. 86% completion percentage is obviously a little crazy, but he did not force things outside of the 2 awful decisions, he carved up the 49ers underneath and his timing and accuracy were spot on. They converted a bunch of 3rd downs and had a number of long drives.

-Jordan Howard seems to be in a rythym where the loss of yards carries are going away. He was constantly getting to the line with the right read and generating yards forward. He was not the reason the Bears were behind the sticks. He was also really close to getting out of the gate on a couple of runs.

-Tarik Cohen had a quieter day than I was expecting. A lot of zone is going to slow him down, and that takes away a dynamic part of the Bears offense.

-Allen Robinson was having a great day until the fumble, which was idiotic. The long catch was awesome, but it was the underneath stuff where you see he and 10 getting connected. Trubisky has really started to hit Robinson in a position that lets him run or use his body to shade the defender.

-Miller's end zone move was criminal, and then his 2nd half move in the flat was downright mean. They need to get him more involved going into the playoffs, he looks like the Bears 2nd most dangerous YAC guy.

-I am not sure what has happened to Gabriel, it doesn't seem like they are sending him deep nearly as much. I am not sure if that is a product of the Rams game making everyone a little more conservative, or whether it is a function of how defenses are playing the Bears.

-Trey Burton with a "meh" day blocking.

-Shaheen is a significant upgrade over Sims. Shaheen might not be over powering as a blocker, but he gets his big body in the way.

-Bobbie Massie, burn the tape.

-Charles Leno, if Bobbie fails you need to burn the tape.

-Cody Whitehair was good, but he blew a couple of blocks that murdered drives.

-James Daniels was either pancaking guys or getting worked. Buckner gave him everything he could handle, but the next play he would be pancaking DJ Jones. He looks really good as a puller.

-I have been hard on Josh Bellamy, but good for him for throwing fists. Your QB takes a cheap shot on you sideline and then another of their guys comes in pushing and showing. That is the perfect time for a little used backup to come in and start throwing some fists. Good for him.

-It was a weird game and I went back to look at why the Bears scored only 14 points, they only had 8 drives was the #1 cause, but here is the breakdown.

Drive 1: Trubisky just misses Robinson on the corner route heading into the redzone.

Drive 2: Good drive, missed FG

Drive 3: Penalty on 78, Sack on 72, Missed block near safety from 65, 3rd and 26. OL killed this entire drive.

Drive 4: Special Teams Penalty, Trubisky horrible decision to lateral, entire OL gets worked.

Drive 5: TD

Drive 6: TD

Drive 7: Witzmann TFL, Whitehair sack, weird OPI on what looked like a clean catch

Drive 8: Robinson fumble

Drives Killed

OL-drives 3 and 7

Truisky-drive 4

Robinson-drive 8

Parkey-drive 2

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Defense

-Eddie Goldman had a really nice game. His ability to stop the initial surge of a double team is specials, lots of guys can anchor against a double team once they have been moved 2-3 yards by the initial surge, but Goldman literally jolts the double team back.

-Hicks was a monster, which was awesome in SF where people felt Buckner should have made the Pro Bowl over him.

-Bilal Nichols can play, but he still gets knocked off the ball too often. You notice when he is playing the NT and not Goldman.

-Bullard had a really good game against the run.

-The Bears may have only had 1 sack, but the entire game the DL was collapsing the pocket at the snap. Person and Tomlinson were literally on skates and just holding on for dear life.

-Leonard Floyd had another really good game. There was a 3rd and 2 in the 2nd quarter where he blows up the FB, jumps over the FBs corpse, hits the RB, knocks him back and the cavalry comes in and stops him short. He is playing so physical right now. Late in the game he threatens up field, comes flying back inside and hits Mullens as he throws, great move, great transition from speed to power.

-You want to know you have a well coached defense, watch who picks up every batted pass and every ball that was short because Mullens was hit while throwing. The Bears jump on everything that could even be close to a TO.

-Best game I have seen Trevathan play this year. He was great in coverage and tackled everything that moved.

-Roquan is a star. You are watching the screen, you see a blur, and then you see a ball carrier violently hitting the ground. His reads are becoming quicker. There was a run in the 3rd quarter [?] where he reads it so fast he goes outside all of the blockers while they are still focused on the double team and makes a tackle for a 2 yard gain.

-Adrian Amos is such a reliable tackler. 3 times they had a guy in the flat with what seemed to be a step and all 3 times they were down where they caught the ball. Against Kittle that is not small accomplishment.

-Deon Bush was okay. He was a little slow coming down hill on the runs and got blocked a couple of times when I did not think he should be and there was only 1 out route where I thought he was super slow coming up to it, but he was solid.

-Kyle Fuller slipped a couple of times and then went into "stay healthy" mode. He started giving big cushions and not attacking downfield as much.

-Prince had a miserable 2 play series in the 2nd quarter, but was solid throughout the game.

-McManis continues to hold up in the NB role, which is huge considering the production the Bears were getting from that spot before he had to play.

-Cody Parkey has pretty much proven he is a replacement level kicker who is getting paid way too much. If he costs the Bears a playoff game the failure of that signing will be complete.

-The 49ers field is as bad, or worse, than anything that the Bears have put out on Soldier Field. I cannot believe that the NFL allows games to be played on that garbage and that the 49ers are okay with their players being exposed to that garbage.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Weird game. Bears have been in several of these where you feel like the score should be 30-6, but scoreboard says much closer. I'm glad the 9ers played their hearts out though. It just gives Trubisky and Nagy more experience against different schemes.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Excellent breakdown windy. I always read your postgame thread but I didn't get to watch the game this past Sunday so I was hoping you hadn't given up on doing it.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The penalty on Robinson on drive 7 was complete fucking bullshit.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
-I have been hard on Josh Bellamy, but good for him for throwing fists. Your QB takes a cheap shot on you sideline and then another of their guys comes in pushing and showing. That is the perfect time for a little used backup to come in and start throwing some fists. Good for him.

This really made me do a 180 on him. I don't care if he is a good special teams tackler, there's plenty of guys out there that can do that job and are more reliable receivers.

But in that moment, he could have stayed back and not risked getting punched in the mouth. He was one of the team without hesitation and jumped in the middle of the fight for his quarterback.

Hell yeah. That's the kind of teammate I want wearing our Jersey.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks, Windy. Love reading your post-game thoughts.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Rodgers beat us with underneath throws. I am fine with bitches get mitches doing that, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nothing on Khalil Mack?

He and Hicks are so good I am not sure what to write anymore.

He is a transcendent talent. I read he and Hicks for pressure on 45% of the snaps.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This really made me do a 180 on him. I don't care if he is a good special teams tackler, there's plenty of guys out there that can do that job and are more reliable receivers.

But in that moment, he could have stayed back and not risked getting punched in the mouth. He was one of the team without hesitation and jumped in the middle of the fight for his quarterback.

Hell yeah. That's the kind of teammate I want wearing our Jersey.

He is going to get fined 50k for that fight.

That is a lot of money in Josh Bellamys season.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
still don't get why you don't like underneath throws against zone coverage.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I am glad you mentioned the Robinson opi call. That was a terrible call, and as you said it looked like a clean catch to me on the only replay they showed.

Not sure if you can challenge a play when a penalty occurred or not, but it would have given us a second chance on third down if they overturned the drop and then applied the penalty.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Thanks Windy! These thoughts and observations of yours are some of the best posts here

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing on Khalil Mack?

Here, and the WR was wide open...

SiDQOs.gif

Bush was out of position and Prince Amukamara fell down. This should have been a TD...

BAB8MYg.jpg

Last edited:

mac bear

Liked Posts:
Don’t want to be redundant with the thanks and great job, but thanks and great job.

I, too, look so forward to these threads!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
still don't get why you don't like underneath throws against zone coverage.

I thought they were great. They were giving the Bears 6-8 yards.

I was shocked the 49ers didn’t bail out of the 2 deep when Mitch was 16/17 between the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

Rob Noxious

Liked Posts:
I look forward to these posts, thank you.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I mean what else do you want to say about Khalil Mack? "Yup, still the best football player in the world!" kinda gets old week after week.

One thing I definitely see eye-to-eye with OP on is Roquan Smith who just looks like a stud. The game is slowing down for him big time.