Thoughts on Bears-Packers: Praise for Ryan Pace

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
*I've watched a lot of the Packers this year, and I gave them a 10% chance of winning this game, which was almost entirely dependent on Trubisky still being hurt/rusty. The Bears just have such a better roster than the Packers, which is a tribute to Ryan Pace. Its been painful to watch GB games this season, and yesterday was a typical performance. They were somehow still in the game at the end, but failed to win.

*Not to make this all about the Packers, but when Aaron Jones went down early in the game I thought things were over for Green Bay. They just have nothing going for them on offense. No big play guys, no OL. Their WRs are terrible, Jimmy Graham looks like he is suffering from chronic gout, some guy who injured himself in preseason doing the Lambeau Leap caught a pass, etc.

*Trubisky looked really good and in control. Cohen was a 'match up problem' for the Packers. Allen Robinson had some nice plays to start the game (and then when silent...perhaps he is nursing an injury?). I thought Cohen's TD reception at the end of the 1st half was a big play of the game. The 14-3 lead seemed insurmountable with the way the Bears D was playing, until...

*The fake punt call was absurd. Aaron Rodgers was stuck inside his own 10 yard line seemingly the entire 1st half, and the Packers showed no signs of life. All the Bears had to do was punt, put the Packers back inside their 10, and continue winning the game. But like the Giants game, Nagy gave the Packers momentum and a short field. The game was 'competitive' from that point forward. It made no sense.

*I didn't really like the Cohen-Howard read option garbage either, because their normal stuff was working just fine. But at least you could rationalize it as...something or other. I thought that was the biggest sequence in the game...the Bears/Nagy throwing away an opportunity to take the lead, and the Bears Defense suffocating Rodgers and forcing an immediate 3-and-out.

*I think the impact of this game is overhyped. Someone said this represents a "changing of the guard", which is completely false. The Packers were lucky to beat the Bears in Week 1, and in the subsequent weeks the Bears have clearly proven themselves to be the stronger team. The Packers' star has been fading over the last 3 years, basically when Rodgers had a healthy Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb. The team to dethrone in the NFC North was/is the Vikings. The NFC playoff picture is a mess right now, and its possible the Bears could face Minnesota in the last week of the regular season and then the next week in the postseason. If the Bears win the NFC North but lose to the Vikings in the 1st round of the playoffs, can you really describe that as a "changing of the guard"?

*Speaking of NFC playoff picture, what if the Panthers beat the Saints tonight? Bears would have a chance for the #1 seed. Seattle lost an icky game to San Fran, and Dallas completely stunned me with how bad they looked against Indy. The Bears look so much better than most of the conference. I would take them over the Rams regardless of how the seeding plays out.

*Poor Eddie Jackson. My initial thought was disgust when he picked off that pass, because CCS would be subjected to more of Spartan's nonsense about 'game-sealing' interceptions, but it is remarkable how often he's around the ball. My next thought was "he's going to 105 yards the other way for a TD", but for some reason he did a half-hearted U-turn and slid about as successfully as Trubisky did against Harrison Smith. You know that if Jackson just returns that INT like normal, he doesn't get hurt.

*Khalil Mack did some incredible things on the field. I heard a great stat that he has 12.5 sacks this year (production down, tho), and Oakland as a team has 11. Jon Gruden should fire himself.

*Very unrelated comment, but I watched the Steelers-Pats game. Morgan Burnett is an ex-Packer DB who plays for the Steelers, and it seems like the NFL is filled with ex-Packer DBs who start for other teams...yet the Packers current DBs are absolute garbage. A great NFL play from that game was the Steelers holding a tenuous 14-10 lead late in the game, Pats driving for a TD and near the goal line, Pats RB goes into the line and Steeler rips the ball away for game-ending turnover. Bedlam ensues...John Parry's crew says Pats ball because runner was down by contact, which was pretty much impossible. Steeler challenge. After a short delay, Parry back on the mic and says the play can't be challenged because he's now ruling that the runner's forward progress had stopped. Replays show that Steelers taken the ball away before any whistle blew...another great NFL moment regarding rules that I have no clue about.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I dont see the fake punt as totally game changin. The fact is That drive resulted in points because Rodgers hit Adams on a deep pass along the sidelines, which was the one such occurrence during the game for GB. That play wasn’t really determined by field position of the the fake punt. Perhaps GB stalls out on that drive if the start deeper in their territory, but they still probably get a FG at a minimal.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Packers are outl-classed top to bottom by the Bears.....Rodgers is better than Trubisky but that is not really a knock on Trubisky. Plus their kicker is slightly better.....that is about it.

Packers have some work to do on the off-season.

Mack is far and away the most important part of our defense. The pressure QBs face from 3 and 4 man rushes by the Bears is insane. Rodgers was running for his life and it affected his accuracy downfield...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont see the fake punt as totally game changin. The fact is That drive resulted in points because Rodgers hit Adams on a deep pass along the sidelines, which was the one such occurrence during the game for GB. That play wasn’t really determined by field position of the the fake punt. Perhaps GB stalls out on that drive if the start deeper in their territory, but they still probably get a FG at a minimal.

The fake punt was a bad call.....not the way they did it, but the timing. Rory is correct, the Bears D had Rodgers on his heels the whole game...should have pinned them deep. Don't give Rodgers a short field, ever.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I think there is a big difference between the Packers getting a FG versus a TD/2pt conversion, but aside from that I think the whole complexion of the game changed. The Packers were totally frustrated on offense, and the short field gave them a reprieve.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
But Perception is Not Reality.

Sure, we may have perceived Mack wreaking havoc all day long.. but you have to look at the reality of his down year and truly minimal impact.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Rory, this is another solid thread. When you’re not being a douche, I enjoy reading your posts.

I started a thread about beating the Packers last week and Jones was one of the focal points. Even though Williams scored a TD, he’s nowhere near as talented as Jones.

The fake punt call was awful and the only reason the Pack stayed in the game. I guess Nagy missed the Georgia, Alabama game where Kirby “Smart” gifted the Tide the win with the same lunacy. There was just no need for it, the Bears had the game under control and the Pack showed no inclination of being able to put together a long TD drive against the Bear D.

Jackson is not a slide guy. Either take a knee in the end zone or run the damn thing back... Being indecisive gets you injured on a football field. I hope he’s good for the playoffs.

After the first game, it was apparent that the Bears had the better roster outside of Rodgers. Yesterday, they cracked the code on him a little.

Mack is just an amazing player. He was being egregiously held all game. It was getting to the point of being comical. For him to get 2.5 sacks with what the refs were allowing, is a testament to him.

Floyd really seems to like playing the Packers. Nice effort by him all day...

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Mack has 12.5 sacks in basically 10 games, since he was hurt for 2 of them and used as a decoy for 2 other games he shouldn't have played.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I am not coaching material, but the fake punt call was a bad call. The Packers sniffed it out and the play failed. It gave the Pack the best field position of the whole game I think. The call shows the aggressiveness Nagy calls the game with. He is doing a terrific job in ways that are not even obvious, but even I knew that was not a good call.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I noticed primarily was how much Trubisky's pocket awareness has improved. He was feeling the blind side rush, stepping up when the pocket collapsed from outside, buying time, and only scrambling when it became absolutely necessary. If he doesn't regress that alone will make a big difference going forward.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Packers are outl-classed top to bottom by the Bears.....Rodgers is better than Trubisky but that is not really a knock on Trubisky. Plus their kicker is slightly better.....that is about it.

Packers have some work to do on the off-season.

Mack is far and away the most important part of our defense. The pressure QBs face from 3 and 4 man rushes by the Bears is insane. Rodgers was running for his life and it affected his accuracy downfield...

Not true. Mack does not make a legitimate impact on this team. He's simply not worth it. Or at least that's what I read here

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sure, we may have perceived Mack wreaking havoc all day long.. but you have to look at the reality of his down year and truly minimal impact.

This thread is dripping with warrior spirit

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Mack is having a down year similar to Aaron Rodgers

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the write up. One thing I think that can't be stated enough is the improvement of this o-line play the last 2 weeks. They have looked like *gasp* an average offensive line. Which is certainly a lot better than they've played the rest of the season. James Daniels is a stud. Whitehair and Leno have been fantastic all season. The run blocking seems to have vastly improved.

I am only a douche to people who are being douches themselves. Unfortunately, they are numerous at CCS.

I've tried explaining this, people still don't get it. Apparently, if you act like a dick, you're a dick, regardless of circumstances. Luckily, you only really see this on CCS.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
What I noticed primarily was how much Trubisky's pocket awareness has improved. He was feeling the blind side rush, stepping up when the pocket collapsed from outside, buying time, and only scrambling when it became absolutely necessary. If he doesn't regress that alone will make a big difference going forward.

This cannot be overstated.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Nagy, with his gadgetry and aggressive playcalling and infectious personality, has really turned the offensive production and team demeanor around but his situational awareness in game needs to improve. Don't get me wrong, he is way more good than bad, but he easily could be much better.

Was anyone else cringing thinking he was going to go for it on 4th and 1 from the 6 with 6+ minutes left in the game? He was certainly thinking about it, as evidenced by the kicking unit needing to run on the field last second and kick the FG as the play clock hit 0. A chip shot FG two score lead with 6 minutes left is a no brainer, the kick team should have been headed out as soon as Cohen ran OB. You gain near nothing by scoring a TD vs risk a TO on downs and a 1 score lead. Earlier in the year I think he would have gone for the TD, so I think he is learning to dial it back a bit, but he isn't where he needs to be yet.

Watching the Rams convert that fake punt deep in their own territory last week may have been the worst thing for Nagy. That was the wrong call by McVay as well, even though the converted it. Some one needs to whisper in his ear multiple times a game. "Matt, remember you have Khalil Mack." "Matt, remember you have Eddie Jackson." "Matt, remember you have Akiem Hicks."

Don't throw a drowning enemy a line. Step on his head.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Mack has more sacks than the Raiders and he has played two less games than them. Unreal.

He could have easily stat padded against that mega scrub Peterman too.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I am not coaching material, but the fake punt call was a bad call. The Packers sniffed it out and the play failed. It gave the Pack the best field position of the whole game I think. The call shows the aggressiveness Nagy calls the game with. He is doing a terrific job in ways that are not even obvious, but even I knew that was not a good call.

I'm not sure we are all saying it was a bad call if it had worked... I like the agressive nature that Nagy has, and once in a while it will bite him.

What I do like is the idea that Nagy wanted to keep pressing to avoid the typical Packer come back.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

According to the inter webs, Mack has 12.5 sacks (6th), 5 passes defended, 2 fumble recoveries, 6 forced fumbles (1st), 1 int with a td. That is prett good and high in all of those categories for his position. Maybe not what you wanted or expected, but those are very good states. If you’re into stats or find them meaningful.