Thoughts on Bears-Vikings: Established Powerhouse

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
*In general, the Bears looked to be the superior team, and the Vikings were somewhat fortunate to still be in the game at the end. If Mack’s ankle is good, the Bears can compete with anyone in the NFL. I was looking at this game as a “prove it” game for the Bears, and now its almost like if they don’t end up winning the NFC North, it will be disappointing. I think the expectation should be for the Bears to get a 3 seed, host a playoff game, then look to compete with LA or NO in the next round.

*I thought the Bears did a good job of stifling the Vikings’ defensive aggression and attacking the edges. The drive in the 2nd quarter that ended with Anthony Miller’s TD catch was essentially 3 Trubisky scrambles. Trubisky did some nice things, but it pains me to say that his accuracy continues to be an issue. It would be great to say that Trubisky won the game for the Bears, but he made some bad throws and the Bears probably should have had more than 14 points midway through the 4th period.

*Eddie Jackson’s TD INT was the big play of the game, but I never felt like the Bears weren’t in control. A notable play was in the 2nd quarter when Cousins was getting hit every play by Mack, so they ran a screen to Mack’s side. Danny Trevathan sniffed it out immediately and ran all the way across the field to tackle the RB as soon as he caught the pass. It proved that nothing was working for Minnesota’s offense.

*I thought the Vikings game plan would be to run the ball, possibly straight at Mack, and let Cousins pick his spots to hit his WRs. The Vikings kind of gave up on the run, but they also couldn’t get anything going with Cook and Murray. Very impressive performance by the Bears D.

*Speaking of Cousins, I thought LT Riley Reiff and Kirk Cousins did a great impression of JaMarcus Webb and Jay Cutler. In the pre-game one of the schmucks said “The Bears haven’t had a pro bowl QB since Jim McMahon…isn’t that unbelievable?!” Of course its not unbelieveable…the Bears had Jay Cutler for an entire decade! Anyways, Reiff couldn’t block anyone and Cousins looked ‘shook’ from the opening of the game. One of the big plays of the game was Cousins INT heave at the end of the first half that kept the Vikings at 0 points…very Cutler-esque.

*Mack was fantastic against an overmatched Vikings OL that has been poor all year. In Reiff’s defense, no one in the NFL has been able to handle Mack, and the Vikings never adjusted their protection to give Reiff help (JaMarcus Webb would have a TE next to him and a RB behind him, and he’d still make Frank Zombo look like Lawrence Taylor). I felt good for Hicks to get notice on a national stage. Too much of the NFL pro bowl is about stats, and a good all-around DE like Hicks will always get overlooked because its all about sacks. Maybe this will be the year Hicks gets into the pro bowl.

*Already sick of the Cody Parkey story. You made some FGs. Good for you. Interesting that Nagy kept going for 2.

*I think the overall picture looks good for the Bears. They should beat Detroit, but even if they lose they will most likely be a postseason team. I am most impressed with Chicago’s balance…they can pass, they can run well enough, they stop the run, they stop the pass. Jacksonville had a similar Cinderella run last season, but I think they were more one-dimensional than the Bears. Trubisky is much better than Bortles.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I agree with all of this but didn’t they slide protection to Mack for most of the game? Reiff was most definitely getting help.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This Bears team feels like one of those early 90's Bears teams to me from the stand point that they might end up being a 10-6 or 11-5 team, get to host a playoff game, are a pretty darn good team, but aren't in the class of the Rams or Saints(49ers/Giants/ascending Cowboys)

Newblood

Liked Posts:
This Bears team feels like one of those early 90's Bears teams to me from the stand point that they might end up being a 10-6 or 11-5 team, get to host a playoff game, are a pretty darn good team, but aren't in the class of the Rams or Saints(49ers/Giants/ascending Cowboys)

I could live with that for a first year with a new HC and offense.

Anyone who said the Bears could get to 10-11 wins at the beginning of the seasons would have been laughed off the forum.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

Agreed and you know what? I'll fucking take it with a smile.

Especially after all of the abysmal seasons that we had to endure.

As a first year coach Nagy has this team out performing my expectations and it's possible they keep getting better down the stretch.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:

Rams/Saints went all in for this year. They will both have serious cap problems next season.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree with all of this but didn’t they slide protection to Mack for most of the game? Reiff was most definitely getting help.

Lol, one of Macks sacks (IIRC) he beat the LT, chip block from the RB and the LG. Truly just a freak of nature.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I’m curious how this defense stacks up against the power house offenses of the league.

In the event the bears play in the playoffs I don’t see anyway this offense can win a game that becomes a shoot out. The saints are something else right now....

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Overall, I'm happy. I've said several times all I care is that we're a competitive team. The only goal I had for the team was to be .500 at a minimum.

Right now, I feel like the only teams that are better than us are the elites: Saints, KC, & Rams. Can't complain for a first year coach.

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last summer we were arguing about whether the Bears could finish above .500 and now we're getting ready to argue about how far they can go in the post-season. Worst to (probably) first makes it a good year in my book. In fact I'm already looking ahead to next year's argument about how they can progress from a post-season early exit to the top tier with no first round picks or cap space.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
I’m curious how this defense stacks up against the power house offenses of the league.

In the event the bears play in the playoffs I don’t see anyway this offense can win a game that becomes a shoot out. The saints are something else right now....

Nobody is beating the Saints in NO. It's unlikely but if NO had to go to Chicago in the Janaury cold, then yes the Saints would be slowed down big time.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I think the Bears defense is legit in that they can stop the run, they can stop the pass, they can force turnovers and get sacks, they can score on their own. They are giving up less than 5 yards per play (4.9). I remember a few weeks ago Mojorisin claimed that the Bears D wasn't elite because of some bogus "yards allowed" stat, but there is so much more to quantifying defensive play.

Sometimes a defense will appear to be 'good' because their offense always stakes them with a 21-0 lead, and all the defense has to do is rush the passer. The Colts defenses with Peyton Manning were like this...and they would usually get manhandled in the postseason when their offense didn't give them a big cushion. I think the Saints are like that this season...middle of the league in points and yards, but terrible in yards per play and QB rating and other 'efficiency' stats. I think if the Bears can slow down Brees early, they'll have a chance.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Hicks had 5 TFL last night. Amazing performance. Floyd was consistently in the backfield and he was responsible for the first interception.

I don't think the Bears would have any chance of beating New Orleans in the Superdome, but I think they can play with anyone else. The LAR game in three weeks can be a real coming out party for this group.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Lol, one of Macks sacks (IIRC) he beat the LT, chip block from the RB and the LG. Truly just a freak of nature.

That one where he actually lifted the 300 whatever pound left tackle off the ground was insane.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Problem is the secondary is simply not elite. Jackson is ascending but they can't stop when teams go no-huddle & start throwing quick passes. I was kind of amazed that Minnesota just didn't ditch the run altogether and keep throwing quick passes

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Problem is the secondary is simply not elite. Jackson is ascending but they can't stop when teams go no-huddle & start throwing quick passes. I was kind of amazed that Minnesota just didn't ditch the run altogether and keep throwing quick passes

Bears won't be facing Brock Osweiler in the playoffs, tho...except maybe Super Bowl.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That one where he actually lifted the 300 whatever pound left tackle off the ground was insane.

Edit: Did anyone else see Tom Compton completely miss on Hicks on his sack? Lmao I knew as soon as I saw him in the starting OL that Hicks was going to have a day.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
*In general, the Bears looked to be the superior team, and the Vikings were somewhat fortunate to still be in the game at the end. If Mack’s ankle is good, the Bears can compete with anyone in the NFL. I was looking at this game as a “prove it” game for the Bears, and now its almost like if they don’t end up winning the NFC North, it will be disappointing. I think the expectation should be for the Bears to get a 3 seed, host a playoff game, then look to compete with LA or NO in the next round.

*I thought the Bears did a good job of stifling the Vikings’ defensive aggression and attacking the edges. The drive in the 2nd quarter that ended with Anthony Miller’s TD catch was essentially 3 Trubisky scrambles. Trubisky did some nice things, but it pains me to say that his accuracy continues to be an issue. It would be great to say that Trubisky won the game for the Bears, but he made some bad throws and the Bears probably should have had more than 14 points midway through the 4th period.

*Eddie Jackson’s TD INT was the big play of the game, but I never felt like the Bears weren’t in control. A notable play was in the 2nd quarter when Cousins was getting hit every play by Mack, so they ran a screen to Mack’s side. Danny Trevathan sniffed it out immediately and ran all the way across the field to tackle the RB as soon as he caught the pass. It proved that nothing was working for Minnesota’s offense.

*I thought the Vikings game plan would be to run the ball, possibly straight at Mack, and let Cousins pick his spots to hit his WRs. The Vikings kind of gave up on the run, but they also couldn’t get anything going with Cook and Murray. Very impressive performance by the Bears D.

*Speaking of Cousins, I thought LT Riley Reiff and Kirk Cousins did a great impression of JaMarcus Webb and Jay Cutler. In the pre-game one of the schmucks said “The Bears haven’t had a pro bowl QB since Jim McMahon…isn’t that unbelievable?!” Of course its not unbelieveable…the Bears had Jay Cutler for an entire decade! Anyways, Reiff couldn’t block anyone and Cousins looked ‘shook’ from the opening of the game. One of the big plays of the game was Cousins INT heave at the end of the first half that kept the Vikings at 0 points…very Cutler-esque.

*Mack was fantastic against an overmatched Vikings OL that has been poor all year. In Reiff’s defense, no one in the NFL has been able to handle Mack, and the Vikings never adjusted their protection to give Reiff help (JaMarcus Webb would have a TE next to him and a RB behind him, and he’d still make Frank Zombo look like Lawrence Taylor). I felt good for Hicks to get notice on a national stage. Too much of the NFL pro bowl is about stats, and a good all-around DE like Hicks will always get overlooked because its all about sacks. Maybe this will be the year Hicks gets into the pro bowl.

*Already sick of the Cody Parkey story. You made some FGs. Good for you. Interesting that Nagy kept going for 2.

*I think the overall picture looks good for the Bears. They should beat Detroit, but even if they lose they will most likely be a postseason team. I am most impressed with Chicago’s balance…they can pass, they can run well enough, they stop the run, they stop the pass. Jacksonville had a similar Cinderella run last season, but I think they were more one-dimensional than the Bears. Trubisky is much better than Bortles.

How much is Minny paying Cousins? Mitch looked better.

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
New Orleans has not faced a defense like ours and Rams defense is overrated. I think we can compete.