Toews and Hossa Time

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Ok..this isnt a bash on them - more of a "Rally Cry" for them.

I think GM 6 - is their game to win for the Hawks.

No doubt they both have been forces all playoffs. No 2 players do more things that don't show up on the score sheet. But what is also a fact - is in thier careers, they have been goal scorers.

Hossa - most complete player in the league. He's been here twice now, and there is NO WAY he wants to answer these same questions after this series. I don't think he even wants to chance a game 7. I think he'll be a man possessed tomorrow nite. 1 goal in his last 12gms. He was a -3 last game (Last time he was a -3 was 1/20/2009). I think he owns this game tomorrow nite. Hossa gets the GWG.

Toews - has dominated the faceoff circle. Seems to play big in the big moments...and none bigger in Chicago in the last 50 yrs. This game can (and I believe will) win him the Conn Smythe. No goals this series and only 1 in the SJ series (1 goal in his last 10 gms)...I think the stage is set for him to bury some chances. He's been this/close between chances and hitting the post. Toews is due for a 2 goal game - and big goals (think the first of the game - and 1 dagger on the PP).

I think Q split up the Toews/Kane/Byfuglien line at the perfect time. Filly will try to use Pronger against Kane (he's the biggest offensive weapon teams gameplan against)...and Pronger vs Byfuglien as well. That leaves Toews and Hossa vs Coburn and Carle...and they should completely outclass them tomorrow nite. And I love what Kopecky brings to that line. From the Olympics on..he has been on a whole another level.

Me thinks this is going to be the Toews and Hossa show tomorrow nite.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been thinking the same about game 6. Hossa will for sure bring his all to finish this series and hopefully he'll score those goals that have been eluding him the whole playoffs. Toews will absolutely bring it for this game and he will start cementing his legacy as a winner and a big game decider.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
You know who else is due for a huge game?

Brian Campbell.

You know who has only 1 goal and 3 assists in 18 playoff games?

Brian Campbell.

I find it odd that people talk about Hossa so much as being a guy who has been there and wants it bad. You know who else probably wants it really bad to silence his critics?

Brian Campbell.

lol. Okay. Campbell's strong +9 is something that has gone undetected and not talked about these playoffs. Infact Brian Campbell all together has not been talked about at all. I find that odd since he has been such a whipping boy at times. Game 5 gave me a sense that he is feeling the injuries he sustained from the Ovechkin hit. Probably just my paranoia playing with me again. But there were 4-5 plays where Brian held back from making a physical play along the boards (one play actually cost the Hawks a goal against). And only 23 shots from the offensive Campbell in 18 playoff games? That doesn't feel right.

Not trying to rip on Campbell. Overall I think these playoffs he has been decent enough. In a game where teams win cups and not individual players I will take Brian Campbells depth anyday. I will say this though. Campbell as much as anyone else on this club will go into game 6 wanting the win. So I will actually say Campbell has a huge game 6!!

P.S. Briere is one point behind Toews now. But lets not worry about point leaders. Lets just win game 6!! Don't care how it is done...just win!!

bierboy

Liked Posts:
Gotta agree that this could be the Toews/Hossa show for the Hawks. If it isn't, I think the series goes to 7 games. Hossa I think can handle the pressure; Toews not so sure. Yes, he's mature beyond his years, but this is a whole new ballgame for him.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
TCD...

I think Campbell has been pretty good as well - minus the points...I was kinda ticked the minutes (or lack there of he played in game 1 and 2). He' been playing more the last 2 games and I think his speed and catching the play has been very good of late. If the Hawks win - he needs to keep doing that. Filly does not have an answer for him or any D catching the play - but he's very good at that (and Kane's usually good at finding him)

It is funny though how he's tied with Seabrook for the team lead in +/- and he got SOOOO much bashing prior to his injury - but not a peep since people realized how much he was missed. I dont think he's fully 100% from that hit when he came back and I do still think it's weighing on him where he's not trying to do too much or take chances.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anytime there is no talk about a defenseman, I think it's a positive thing, that means he's not doing a bad job, but not being exceptionally good to warrant any praise and talk. He is doing his job well and there is nothing to say about it. The +9 for Campbell proves that he's been quietly solid the whole time he's played and been yet another cog in the Hawks machine bringing them to where they are. BC for the unsung hero of the team, along with a bunch of other guys, lol. :clap:

sonny

Liked Posts:
[quote name="pmxc12873"]

Toews - has dominated the faceoff circle. .[/quote]

Are there any detailed breakdowns of faceoffs? It seems to me that he has lost a lot of PP faceoffs in the opposing zone. Those losses automatically kill at least 30 seconds off the PP cause the puck gets iced and then our frequently inept PP has to try and get it back in the zone. Anyone have any stats on that?

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="sonny"]

Are there any detailed breakdowns of faceoffs? It seems to me that he has lost a lot of PP faceoffs in the opposing zone. Those losses automatically kill at least 30 seconds off the PP cause the puck gets iced and then our frequently inept PP has to try and get it back in the zone. Anyone have any stats on that?[/quote]

See, if I am wondering about something like that, I log on to NHL.com and check the stats for each game and lo and behold there are extensive face off stats.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
This isn't what you are looking for sonny. But through the entire playoffs Toews is 43-27 in pp face offs.

What the series numbers are I do not know.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Code:
                    Off. Def. Neu. 

Game 1 - 75.0% 18-24 75% 86% 67%

Game 2 - 62.5% 15-24 67% 56% 67%

Game 3 - 52.6% 10-19 71% 50% 40%

Game 4 - 72.7% 24-33 76% 40% 82%

Game 5 - 58.3% 14-24 40% 56% 70%

these are all faceoffs, not specifically PP, but one might get a ballpark figure for the PP faceoffs.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I think Campbell has realized that he doesn't need to take huge risks and get out of position with this team. He doesn't have to single-handedly create offense, even though he is capable of it. He has simplified his game, and that isn't just in these playoffs. That goes for all year round. He has concentrated on defense first, and honestly, I love it. We have enough offensive weapons on this team, that we just need Campbell to play defense and be himself. No need for him to try too hard.

Toews and Hossa are due. It is only a matter of time, with how those two have been playing. I think it catches up to them in game six. I'm talking about 4+ goals scored by that line.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Here are some faceoff stats - (who cares about Neutral zone...)

Gm5 - Ozone - Dzone

Sharp - 5-11 45% - 0-1 0%

Maddn - 2-2 100% - 3-6 50%

Toews - 2-5 40% - 5-9 56%

Bolland - 1-6 17% - 2-3 67%

Gm4 - Ozone - Dzone

Sharp - 3-8 38% - 0-5 0%

Maddn - 0 - 5-7 71%

Toews - 13-17 76% - 2-5 40%

Bolland - 2-8 25% - 4-8 50%

Gm3 - Ozone - Dzone

Sharp - 2-4 50% - 0-1 0%

Maddn - 2-3 67% - 0-4 0%

Toews - 5-7 71% - 1-2 50%

Bolland - 0 - 5-8 63%

Gm2- Ozone - Dzone

Sharp - 3-4 75% - 2-6 33%

Maddn - 1-1 100% - 6-6 100%

Toews - 6-9 67% - 5-9 56%

Bolland - 3-9 33% - 2-7 29%

Gm1 Ozone - Dzone

Sharp - 3-4 75% - 4-5 80%

Maddn - 1-1 100% - 3-7 43%

Toews - 6-8 75% - 6-7 86%

Bolland - 1-2 50% - 2-4 50%

Series Totals ....Ozone - Dzone

Sharp - 16-31 52% - 6-18 33%

Maddn - 6-7 86% - 17-30 57%

Toews - 32-46 70% - 19-32 59%

Bolland - 7-25 28% - 15-30 50%

Razzberry

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Pez68"]Toews and Hossa are due. It is only a matter of time, with how those two have been playing. I think it catches up to them in game six. I'm talking about 4+ goals scored by that line.[/quote]

I agree. I re-watched Game 5 with my dad earlier today and I still can't believe that neither Toews or Hossa scored. They generated a scoring chance almost every shift they had together.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Maddens face off numbers are also very impressive if I may say so. A couple glitches here and there but overall very strong.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
Hossa has busted his ass, he DEFINITELY deserves a big game.

Jonny T has had some big games but he's due for a big one.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
[quote name="the canadian dream"]You know who else is due for a huge game?

Brian Campbell.

You know who has only 1 goal and 3 assists in 18 playoff games?

Brian Campbell.

I find it odd that people talk about Hossa so much as being a guy who has been there and wants it bad. You know who else probably wants it really bad to silence his critics?

Brian Campbell.

lol. Okay. Campbell's strong +9 is something that has gone undetected and not talked about these playoffs. Infact Brian Campbell all together has not been talked about at all. I find that odd since he has been such a whipping boy at times. Game 5 gave me a sense that he is feeling the injuries he sustained from the Ovechkin hit. Probably just my paranoia playing with me again. But there were 4-5 plays where Brian held back from making a physical play along the boards (one play actually cost the Hawks a goal against). And only 23 shots from the offensive Campbell in 18 playoff games? That doesn't feel right.

Not trying to rip on Campbell. Overall I think these playoffs he has been decent enough. In a game where teams win cups and not individual players I will take Brian Campbells depth anyday. I will say this though. Campbell as much as anyone else on this club will go into game 6 wanting the win. So I will actually say Campbell has a huge game 6!!

P.S. Briere is one point behind Toews now. But lets not worry about point leaders. Lets just win game 6!! Don't care how it is done...just win!![/quote]

What's hilarious about this post is some of the hosts on NHL Home Ice on XM were raving about the play of Campbell in this series, which I agreed with. If Campbell made 4.5 no one would say a word about Campbell. But since the Hawks held a gun to his head that glorious day July 1 and made him sign that contract for all that money he gets nothing but grief. Anybody want Barker back for Campbell?

whats the teams record since Campbell's return?

13-4, through four 7 game series so far. Just sayin.

[quote name="R K"]whats the teams record since Campbell's return?

13-4, through four 7 game series so far. Just sayin.[/quote]

TCD usually I agree with you but I think Campbell is doing exactly what we signed him too. He's great at making the first pass out of the zone and leading the rush out of the zone with his speed. I'm sure if they gave out 3rd assists or assists for passes out of the defensive zone Campbell would be tearing it up.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Razzberry"]

I agree. I re-watched Game 5 with my dad earlier today and I still can't believe that neither Toews or Hossa scored. They generated a scoring chance almost every shift they had together.[/quote]

The more they play together the better they're going to be. I think Philly's going to have trouble containing us tomorrow night.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Mikita's Helmet"]

The more they play together the better they're going to be. I think Philly's going to have trouble containing us tomorrow night.[/quote]

And lets hope they only have one more opportunity.