Tom Thayer unloads on Justin Fields' last four games "If Justin doesn't scramble anymore the rest of the season I don't care."

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Its more of the 3 step drop plays. Plays designed to get the ball out in under 2 seconds. Yes there are plenty of plays where the OL shits the bed and Fields can do nothing. Plenty. But we are talking about the quick throws that need to get out and it is something Fields needs to work on. He is still a very young QB.
I’m not saying Fields is infallible but Tom and Biff here are flat out ignoring the large gaping wounds on this team to focus on a small scratch. The team is scoring and literally due to Fields ability to make chicken shit into something edible

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry your ability to read analogies sucks. Fields ceiling is like Kirk Cousins at best. A career 500 QB who will need the ideal situation around him to win. High level defense Pro Bowl caliber offensive line and receivers.

Then when Fields gets to the playoffs every once in a while he'll lose games to teams with equal talent. The Bears will struggle every year to make the playoffs with Fields.

Derek Carr Kirk Cousins Kyler Murray Jared Goff
Jay Cutler. He'll be that starter that hangs on and never wins more than 10 games. Circa Trubisky 2018.
Cousins and Goff are actually having pretty good seasons, and both might make the playoffs, Cousins will for sure

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lmao I mean wow you sure are quite the fortune teller. You seem to have it all figured out somehow. It’s remarkable, you must be some type prodigy.

You going to actually try to back up this claim with any logic? Or are you just throwing a temper tantrum because the bears lost?
Great plays show up almost immediately. Brisker you can see it right away. Last year with Herbert as a rookie.

Historically speaking Forte, Mike Brown Urlacher.

Recent QB history Mahomes Burrow Watson.

Tua is having a good season but is being bolstered in a big way by his receivers. Same with Hurts, nice season but AJ Brown is bolstering him.

But do you believe for a second any of them are going to be as good as Mahomes has been since his first year as a starter?

Maybe Fields improves next year to a high level but the Bears won't win a Super Bowl with him. He won't be able to go toe to toe in the final 6 minutes of a game with Mahomes.

Fields is going to need an almost ideal team around him to win with his arm. I've seen this way too many times before.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thayer is totally correct.

Fields needs to look for clear passing lanes to avoid tipped balls. Fake passes to get them to jump, please Justin. Misdirect corners and safeties with your eyes. He started doing this and then removed it from his pre-release checklist when he started his record setting running. He has managed to handle the ball better on his part ... less fumbling

Just friggin throw the ball away. Forget about your completion percentage and throw it away.

He was starting to throw it sidearm occasionally about 4-5 games ago to avoid helmet shots and tipped balls.

He needs to throw it more to keep doing those things in his mind to be a more effective passer.

Make him throw the ball 30+ times a game whether complete or not. Forget about statistics, just get the ball out sooner before the shitty Pass Pro floods him. Sharpen up his sidearm and misdirecting eyes for the future

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry your ability to read analogies sucks. Fields ceiling is like Kirk Cousins at best. A career 500 QB who will need the ideal situation around him to win. High level defense Pro Bowl caliber offensive line and receivers.

Then when Fields gets to the playoffs every once in a while he'll lose games to teams with equal talent. The Bears will struggle every year to make the playoffs with Fields.

Derek Carr Kirk Cousins Kyler Murray Jared Goff Jay Cutler. He'll be that starter that hangs on and never wins more than 10 games. Circa Trubisky 2018.

Thanks, poor man’s version of Danny Devito’s Penguin.

I love when fat, bald headed, Turkey necked morons talk about Fields needing an “ideal situation”, like anything around him on this bottoming out team is even close to adequate. Offensively scoring 31 PPG over the span of a month. High level defense? How about just a below average defense to where scoring 30 will win you game? How about just 1 #1 WR or an adequate pass protection OL?

@Rush did you spend the whole budget on @JordanSigler because this guy Spamiel
isn’t even close to bargain bin. This is like the buy one get 20 free Eddie Jackson cereal going out of business writer.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Great plays show up almost immediately. Brisker you can see it right away. Last year with Herbert as a rookie.

Tua is having a good season but is being bolstered in a big way by his receivers. Same with Hurts, nice season but AJ Brown is bolstering him.

But do you believe for a second any of them are going to be as good as Mahomes has been since his first year as a starter?

Maybe Fields improves next year to a high level but the Bears won't win a Super Bowl with him. He won't be able to go toe to toe in the final 6 minutes of a game with Mahomes.

Fields is going to need an almost ideal team around him to win with his arm. I've seen this way too many times before.
Why do we always have to compare the QB to mahomes? He is the best player in the game right now. No shit fields isn’t as good as him, literally no one else is.

Apply that exact same logic to every other position. Are we going to whine and cunt until the bears have a DT as good as Aaron Donald?

How’s the RT play? It’s not as good as lane Johnson. Oh and we don’t have a tyreek hill yet.

Your point is stupid. The bears entire team is absolutely garbage right now besides a few bright spots. To think fields should be able to single handedly carry them to victory is not reasonable, and he’s the only reason they are in games, and he’s the reason they’ve won any at all.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Was Mahomes BULSTERED by Hill/Kelce?

Was Burrow BULSTERED by Chase/Higgins/Mixon?

Are you new to the NFL? Good QBs typically have good talent surrounding them. Give me an example of a QB who won a super bowl or had a level of success you deem successful who had no supporting cast. I'll wait

Liked Posts:

So dumb lol

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Doesn't sound like he was getting on Fields. I mean, who called the plays? Fields or Getsy? Getsy is the OC, not Fields.
And if no one is open and Schofield is out there is he supposed to take a dive or get whatever he can get?

Again, scrambling isn't getting Fields hurt. It's the designed runs where he is getting hit (sometimes after he slides). No one really touches him on the scrambles.

So again, who is calling the runs for him?
Actually most of his designed runs he has stepped out of bounds... But yes there are runs in which he is taking hits for mentioned reasons and he is running inside at times. But most of his hits come from dropping back and trying to pass.

Bronze65

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Thayers comments are really that critical of Fields.He is just echoing the notion that the most important thing to do at this juncture in the season is to develop Fields as a passer. We know he can run well. We know he can make something out of nothing.

All Thayer is saying is how can Fields grow as a passer if he doesn't throw. How is he supposed to grade himself? How is he supposed to hrow confidence and know he is learning? How is he supposed to develop a connection with his receivers? Thayer is moreso getting on Getsy to stick with the passing game.
I was about to say this same thing.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

He sees greatness in Herbert and brisker but not in fields. Like wtf

Also, you’ve seen this “way too many times before.” Yet, how old are you?? Cuz you write like a 12 year old does. I don’t think you’ve “seen” as much football as you like to claim

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
We disagree with how Tom is making it seem like the protection is adequate enough for Justin to step up and throw. I’d love to see Fields throw from the pocket as well but when your line gets beat 6 v 4 there isn’t much you can do

Then they need to put him on the sideline and get ready for next season.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Let's look at these QBs mentioned. Mahomes - sat 1st year, was electric once he secured starting role year his 2nd year in the league and been rolling ever since. Had Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and Travis Kelce along with one of the best offensive coaches in the league. Is the best QB in the game, bar none.

Burrow - looked shaky year 1. Added Jamar Chase to go with Tee Higgins from the previous year's draft along with Tyler Boyd. Also had a 1200 yard rusher in year two. So they've added 3 huge pieces that pushed their previous #2 receiver down to their #3 wide receiver while adding two elite WR talents.

Watson - only played 7 games his rookie year, often made chicken salad out of chicken shit. However, he did have an elite 4th year wide receiver in DeAndre Hopkins who was among the top 3 WRs in the league at the time. Year 2, he really took off as he also had the benefit of an incredible defense. Will Fuller was a great deep shot guy that opened everything up for Hopkins to catch everything.

Tua - 3rd year in the league, added Waddle along with Tyreek Hill and an offensive minded coach and boom, excelling in year 3.

Hurts - 3rd year in the league, added AJ Brown along with the addition of Devonta Smith the year prior. Has a good tight end in Godert.

None of these are remotely comparable situations. Look at every single one of those guys - they all had at least 1 elite superstar WR and a 2nd good to very good wide receiver. The one with the least amount of offensive weapons was arguably Watson but he also had the benefit of an incredible defense so less need to take risks.

Justin Fields doesn't even have a single "good" receiver much less an elite one. He's got a bunch of #3 or #4 wide receivers on a championship caliber team. They're just dudes. The only one I really like is Kmet who may develop into an above average to pro bowl tight end but he isn't there now. It's a ridiculous comparison.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Thayer basically echoed what Dilfer was saying on the radio yesterday in a little harsher way. For better or for worse, the Bears have to start allowing him to throw the ball 30+ times in a game. I understand wanting to protect him in games against the Cowboys or the Packers, or teams with great DL's, but against piss poor defenses like the two Fields just faced, you have to be able to find ways for him to throw the ball more.

Dilfer brought up another good point yesterday about how to "steal" pass attempts even when the line is playing as poorly as they have been. He says the Bears don't throw the ball to the RB enough. There's nothing wrong with dumping it off to your back for a quick 4,5,6 yard gain every once in a while. They don't run slants, they don't run any quick hitting TE stick routes with Kmet in the middle of the field. There are ways to scheme up some more passes in this offense, and right now, it feels like they are too dug in on the concept of running the ball to protect the quarterback that they have forgotten there are ways to do the same thing with the pass.

I disagree with Thayer about not wanting to see Fields scramble the rest of the season, but I do agree with the idea that the Bears really need him to get more reps in games through the air because it is the most critical element of his development for the future. Next year is going to be the year everybody is going to expect the Bears to take a big step in the division. I don't want to be in a situation where Fields' pocket passing learning curve has been delayed so much this year that it bleeds into next season when the team is expected to win. If you can force that volume on him now to speed it up a bit, do it.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Lol this is bullshit. You didn’t see anything Fields rookie season and why are you bringing non QBs into this? Non QBs who didn’t win a ring no less? Again Fields is doing what is necessary to survive, all those recent QBs you mentioned also have help while Fields has none.

Also don’t fucking bring up Watson, you were sucking Trubisky’s dick the whole time and now you think Watson is good? Fuck off

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
1. Nothing is Justin's fault.
2. The o-line never pass blocks adequately but is great at run blocking.
3. If the o-line just happens to pass block good enough, no receivers are open.

/end Stan logic.
Everything is Fields fault

I have a screenshot of when the WRs get open

The OL only looks bad because Fields doesn’t throw the ball the moment he snaps the ball

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
How funny will it be if career journeyman back-up Trevor Siemian throws for 200 yards and 2 TDs this Sunday in his first start for the Bears?