Tommie Harris

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Can anyone find a good reason to keep this draft bust?.

He's due a roster bonus in June of $2.5 million and has a workout bonus of $500,000. That means he stands to collect $3 million before the first snap of training camp. Factor in a base salary of $2,312,500 for 2011 and you know why some believe it's unlikely he'll be around, not at that price anyway.

Bears nearing crossroads with Tommie Harris - Chicago Breaking Sports

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Depends if he'll take a pay-cut. He can still contribute in a rotation, he showed a flash in the playoff game vs Seattle. Without that game vs Seattle, he was for sure gone.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't think of a reason. He can't push the pocket anymore and his knees are shot. The Bears will IMO draft a UT early to replace Tommie Harris.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Depends if he'll take a pay-cut. He can still contribute in a rotation, he showed a flash in the playoff game vs Seattle. Without that game vs Seattle, he was for sure gone.

Therein lies my problem with Harris, he takes games off(or in his case half a season). His lack of motivation to rehab the knee properly was the first sign of character issues.

Dude is just too lazy.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I can't think of a reason. He can't push the pocket anymore and his knees are shot. The Bears will IMO draft a UT early to replace Tommie Harris.

Do you think when(yeah I said it)there is no CBA reached by the draft teams will lean even more towards best available talent as opposed to drafting by position?.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think its time to move on from Harris. We need a dependable force in the middle, and after multiple years of waiting, enough is enough. If by chance we keep him again for another year, than its make or break.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He is not a draft bust and is not JUST LAZY. His lack of motivation to workout his knees was far from the first sign of character issues. Those were his behavior, interviews, and his awkward attitude.

He is practically worthless and is especially for his pay currently. It's unsettling that he hasn't been cut yet. He ought to be before March.

Even those two big plays he had late in the year were results from pickup plays. Plays the pressure was initiated by Peppers or others and the coverage was strong enough to keep the QB from throwing.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I read Tommie Harris is a bust, that is hardly the case, he made 2 pro-bowls. Unfortunately, he has gotten bit by the injury bug. That does not make him a bust, but he ain't going to Canton. I would love to see Tommie stay for a couple of years, draft a couple of DTs and hope one can turn into a pro-bowler. Money is tight, so I doubt the Bears would keep him, but I would love to see him stay.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
He looked great in terms of physicality before the season. His knees are just...worn out. I'm with Rush here. If he takes a paycut, then sure. If not...nah.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
He is not a draft bust and is not JUST LAZY. His lack of motivation to workout his knees was far from the first sign of character issues. Those were his behavior, interviews, and his awkward attitude.

He is practically worthless and is especially for his pay currently. It's unsettling that he hasn't been cut yet. He ought to be before March.

Even those two big plays he had late in the year were results from pickup plays. Plays the pressure was initiated by Peppers or others and the coverage was strong enough to keep the QB from throwing.

Let me get this straight, according to you he is practically worthless, lacks proper motivation, has character issues, an awkward attitude, and should have been cut.

And all this occurred after he was paid.

So what exactly is your definition of a successful draft pick?.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I read Tommie Harris is a bust, that is hardly the case, he made 2 pro-bowls. Unfortunately, he has gotten bit by the injury bug. That does not make him a bust, but he ain't going to Canton. I would love to see Tommie stay for a couple of years, draft a couple of DTs and hope one can turn into a pro-bowler. Money is tight, so I doubt the Bears would keep him, but I would love to see him stay.

OK, I'll concede he isn't a draft bust, but he hardly has the qualities you look for in a player.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I ask because I don't know.

Does anyone know of someone who's available that would be an upgrade over Harris?

Chi66

Liked Posts:
I ask because I don't know.

Does anyone know of someone who's available that would be an upgrade over Harris?

Barry Cofield from Giants is due to be a FA

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
The field is terrible, how do you expect him to play well when his position needs footing more than anyone else on the field.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
O:) The Eagle Scout is Always Right

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The field is terrible, how do you expect him to play well when his position needs footing more than anyone else on the field.

I expect him to play the same way if not better than the opposing DT's do on our field...and it doesn't happen.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Let me get this straight, according to you he is practically worthless, lacks proper motivation, has character issues, an awkward attitude, and should have been cut.

And all this occurred after he was paid.

So what exactly is your definition of a successful draft pick?.

He had character issues when he was an ALL-PRO

What he didn't have was an extra devastating injury to his knee.

Mid 1st round draft picks aren't a bust after 2-1/2 great seasons of play and another full season of good play.

You mentioned after he was paid, right there is a false statement. He was not practicing and not properly rehabbing in 07 without his new contract. I said nothing about his motivation, he doesn't have the ability any longer. His quick steps to drive behind the line of scrimmage are gone. Hence so should he be.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
He had character issues when he was an ALL-PRO

What he didn't have was an extra devastating injury to his knee.

Mid 1st round draft picks aren't a bust after 2-1/2 great seasons of play and another full season of good play.

You mentioned after he was paid, right there is a false statement. He was not practicing and not properly rehabbing in 07 without his new contract. I said nothing about his motivation, he doesn't have the ability any longer. His quick steps to drive behind the line of scrimmage are gone. Hence so should he be.

***"His lack of motivation to workout his knees was far from the first sign of character issues."

You said it, how else is one supposed to interpret your comment?.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
***"His lack of motivation to workout his knees was far from the first sign of character issues."

You said it, how else is one supposed to interpret your comment?.

That he always has had character issues, From the start, but they haven't been any major part of what changed in making him go from all-pro to no pressure.