Tory Taylor 46.3 avg, Trenton Gill 46.1 avg - What will Bears do with the extra 0.2 yards of field position?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gill's hang time is better than Taylor's. There are reasons for that, but just clarifying.

I don't think anyone's arguing that Trenton Gill is better than Tory Taylor, or that the only two options were keep Trenton Gill or draft a punter in the 4th.
There are always other options. Poles did what he thought would impact the team.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I posted this in another thread as well. Excuse the dup

Poles:

"I didn't expect him to get much further. Definitely didn't think I'd be able to pick him up when we got into the fifth round," Poles said Wednesday when speaking to a former All-Pro punter on The Pat McAfee Show. "And, really, the thought process there is to make anyone we're playing really uncomfortable. I didn't play much in the NFL, but I know running onto the field and having the ball spotted inside the 10-yard line is a very uncomfortable feeling. It's disheartening at times. And I love taking advantage of field position. And, really, that should help us with points, as well."

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Here's the article:

"There was no way he was getting to the fifth round. We got angry coaches on other teams saying 'I can't believe you guys took him' ... in a good way. ... 'We got it wrong and you guys got it right.' So that's cool when you hear your peers say stuff like that. And kudos to Ryan and his staff because he wouldn't have lasted to the backend of the fourth and [he] definitely would've been gone in the fifth. I got that confirmation from three teams already."

So whether you like it or not, Taylor was a known hot commodity come Day 3 of the draft. That's why the Bears jumped at him. And that's why coaches from three other teams, as Hightower mentioned, are kicking themselves (no pun intended) for not taking him, either.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Here's the article:

"There was no way he was getting to the fifth round. We got angry coaches on other teams saying 'I can't believe you guys took him' ... in a good way. ... 'We got it wrong and you guys got it right.' So that's cool when you hear your peers say stuff like that. And kudos to Ryan and his staff because he wouldn't have lasted to the backend of the fourth and [he] definitely would've been gone in the fifth. I got that confirmation from three teams already."

So whether you like it or not, Taylor was a known hot commodity come Day 3 of the draft. That's why the Bears jumped at him. And that's why coaches from three other teams, as Hightower mentioned, are kicking themselves (no pun intended) for not taking him, either.

So, other NFL teams confirm they'd have picked him in the 4th, but pundits say it was wrong, so many will continue to consider it a mistake.

Bottom line- He needs to play well and silence the critics. That's the only thing that will change minds.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are using raw numbers which is stupid because the number of starting punters is not equally split among the groups. Again if only 5 punters were 5th or earlier, 5 were 6th/7th and 22 were UDFA then the flaw in your logic is obvious. The reason more UDFA punters are in the top 10 is because there are more of them in the population. Hence why people use percentages. In the above only 5 out of 22 UDFA made the top 10. That again is only 23% success. By contrast 3 out of 5 made it in those drafted in the 5th or earlier so that is 60% success and 2 of 5 in the 6/7th which is 40% success. Get it yet?
This is probably the most critical piece. The bucket of punters selected high is small, so the total number of punters successful will be less as a raw total. It needs to be number of successful divided by the total number drafted in the round.

Just to make something up, it’s like saying there are more receivers starting in the NFL drafted after round 1 than those drafted in round 1. It’s probably true cause there’s just a bigger pool of players… but it doesn’t give the true success rate per round. Or it’s like saying there’s more reported crime in the state of Texas than New York City and therefore you’re more likely to experience crime in Texas than in New York City.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Here's the article:

Can’t be true. @Toast88 says it’s foolish to take a punter before the 6th round!!

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I liked the pick until I heard he put ketchup on hot dogs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fuck ketchup or mustard on hot dogs. Mayo is where it is at.