Tory Taylor 46.3 avg, Trenton Gill 46.1 avg - What will Bears do with the extra 0.2 yards of field position?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree. What later pick? We didn't have any. Why try to trade back in and fail, when you can just take him. THEN you try to trade back in for the other guy.
you don't have any picks in 2025

Washington

Liked Posts:
I never said they could have picked the same guy later or signed him as a UDFA. I was saying they could have picked an average-to-below-average punter later or signed them as a UDFA, instead of spending a 4th round pick on one.

They already have a very average punter. I think they felt the need to upgrade and rightfully so. Special teams can play a huge role in the outcome of games so why not improve where you can? Given all the draft projections, the Bears did not reach on the pick.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
They already have a very average punter. I think they felt the need to upgrade and rightfully so. Special teams can play a huge role in the outcome of games so why not improve where you can? Given all the draft projections, the Bears did not reach on the pick.
Historically, drafting a punter high does not equal upgrading.

Again, I very much like the draft as a whole. I'm not shitting on Poles as a GM. I'm just amused at the pick and think it will be one of those things we look back at and laugh about.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Who's arguing they did something unheard of?

The poster you responded to showed a list of punters drafted and you responded talking about how they could have got a punter as an UDFA. So you seem to be ignoring that NFL teams do not wait for UDFA for punters they think can be great. The fact some of them fail is nondifferwnt than the fact plent of draft picks fail.

History says it's not worth it to draft a punter before the 6th or 7th, if at all. Don't know why that's such an idiotic thing to point out, lol

What history? Please provide evidence of this. Anecdotes are not history.

Washington

Liked Posts:

Again, I very much like the draft as a whole. I'm not shitting on Poles as a GM. I'm just amused at the pick and think it will be one of those things we look back at and laugh about.

Yeah, I get your take as the 4th is higher than normal but the anomalies do happen in various years. I hope we look back at this in a few years and are very happy with the choice. Right now, I personally really like the potential of the pick. While I hope he is not kicking too often, I am looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The poster you responded to showed a list of punters drafted and you responded talking about how they could have got a punter as an UDFA. So you seem to be ignoring that NFL teams do not wait for UDFA for punters they think can be great. The fact some of them fail is nondifferwnt than the fact plent of draft picks fail.

Literally that list of drafted punters I responded to. The vast majority of punters drafted high are league average or worse.

As far as the other thing, so you were making stuff up---cool.

Bust

Liked Posts:

no moar bathroom breaks for you when the Bears PUnt team comes out. It's literally MUST WATCH . . . can't wait!

When is Hard Knocks going to be announced????

Toast88

Liked Posts:
no moar bathroom breaks for you when the Bears PUnt team comes out. It's literally MUST WATCH . . . can't wait!

When is Hard Knocks going to be announced????
The punter pick is what pushed the Bears over the edge for Hard Knocks!

IlliniBear1

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I only watched highlights. I can’t sit through Iowa games because they’re brutally boring.

However, I have friends that are diehard Hawkeye fans and they swear by this guy.

I was basically told he was the most impactful player on the team.

It sure seems like he has a knack for dropping balls close to the opponent’s goal line that are able to be downed by the gunners.
Yep he drops balls inside the 5-10 constantly. Field position, brah.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Literally that list of drafted punters I responded to. The vast majority of punters drafted high are league average or worse.

As far as the other thing, so you were making stuff up---cool.

You are cherry picking.

Maybe not a great example, considering Jordan Stout is 13th-19th in every major punting category (avg, inside 20 %, etc), except net average—He’s 33rd in that.

So Baltimore spent a 4th round pick on an average-to-below-average punter, which they could’ve gotten in a later round or as an UDFA. Look at where the players ahead of Stout were (or weren’t) drafted.

Also Jake Camarda—Oh boy, statistically one of the worst punters in the league.

If they could do it all over again, those teams probably wouldn’t have used a 4th rounder on a punter.

The No 1 graded punter Bradley Pinion was a 5th round pick. The No 2 Bryan Anger was a 3rd rounder. The only punter in the HoF ie Ray Guy is also the only punter drafted in the 1st round.

All you did was cherry pick examples that fit your narrative. As I have just proven I can cherry pick examples that prove you wrong.

You have come up with no way to ascertain if your statement is true nor any metrics to determine who is good or bad.

Please provide the actual analysis you or someone else did that looked at Punter success by round. Thanks in advance.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You are cherry picking.

The No 1 graded punter Bradley Pinion was a 5th round pick. The No 2 Bryan Anger was a 3rd rounder. The only punter in the HoF ie Ray Guy is also the only punter drafted in the 1st round.

All you did was cherry pick examples that fit your narrative. As I have just proven I can cherry pick examples that prove you wrong.

You have come up with no way to ascertain if your statement is true nor any metrics to determine who is good or bad.

Please provide the actual analysis you or someone else did that looked at Punter success by round. Thanks in advance.

Please show me where anyone was arguing that it's "unheard of" for a team to draft a punter in the 4th round. Thanks in advance!

No he is a great example because a perennial playoff contender drafted a punter in the 4th. Whether that Punter was a success is not the topic. The topic is whether the Bears did something unheard of. They did not.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You are cherry picking.

If I can prove to you that my statement is true, will you admit you were wrong?

For the record, my statement that you disagreed with was:

'History says it's not worth it to draft a punter before the 6th or 7th, if at all.'

Before I give you my analysis, will you commit to this?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you don't have any picks in 2025
I'm just saying you take the blue chip punter at the pick we have, and then if you want to move a 2025 pick to get DE you do that. But we were out of 2024 picks so you don't get cute and move back ten picks and then not get him. I like the pick.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Please show me where anyone was arguing that it's "unheard of" for a team to draft a punter in the 4th round. Thanks in advance!

This was already explained.
See above. Again a list of punters drafted was provided and I presume the poster provided it to explain in part that it was not unheard of for teams to draft punters.

If I can prove to you that my statement is true, will you admit you were wrong?

For the record, my statement that you disagreed with was:

'History says it's not worth it to draft a punter before the 6th or 7th, if at all.'

Before I give you my analysis, will you commit to this?
If you can prove it sure but I suspect we have different ideas of proof. Also I did not disagree with you.

Do I need to explain what a question mark is? I asked for your evidence because up to that point you only provided anecdotes which gave the impression it was just your opinion or speculation that you seemed to be passing off as objective fact.

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide

Canth

Liked Posts:
Holy shit, I was just listening to the podcast interview with Courtney Cronin and she threw out a statistic for Tory Taylor that is mindboggling. He had over 1000 more yards punting than the entire Iowa Hawkeyes offense had as total yards. That is fucking insane.

I looked and yeah. He had 4516 yards punting. Iowa's total yards on offense were 3296 yds. Wow. Just...wow.

In perspective, the Bears had 5820 yards of offense and 3088 yds of punting last year.

Those yardage stats are from ESPN. Pro-Football-Reference had slightly different numbers, but I don't feel like trying to figure out why right now.