Total rebuild? Or just a new coach and some moderate changes?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If this happens:
"New GM's typically want their guy and Fields won't be that guy."

Then we hired a stupid ass GM.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
So let's assume George does the right thing and fires Pace/Nagy at the end of the season.

Does the next GM go full nuclear and burn the thing to the ground?

Or is this team a new head coach and some moderate changes away from being good?

My personal take is a new GM burns this thing to the ground. 3-4 year rebuild. Quan stays and a few others on their rookie deals. Massive vet turnover. 2022 is epically bad. (think 3-14) Fields gets one year to prove himself with the new head coach and if not the Bears are back in the QB drafting game in 2023. New GM's typically want their guy and Fields won't be that guy. Now there's little chance of getting a new QB next year with no 1st. And it'd be stupid of course to not give him at least two years to prove himself. But this won't be like Pace being tied to Trubisky. If Fields isn't obviously the future after two years I think a new GM goes back to the well. Fields won't get 3-4 "prove it" years with a new GM.

Or do you think this team just needs a new coach and some smart moves to get right back in the Super Bowl hunt fast? I just don't see it. The defense is old as fuq. There are no playmakers outside of RB and one WR. Even the best Oline on the team aren't really that good IMO. I see nothing that makes me think yeah we're one or two years away. I see a team that needs to be gutted, stripped for parts and turned to glass.

The thing with total rebuilds is, they don't guarantee future success. The Lions have been tearing down and starting over for decades, and are no closer to winning for it.

New coach and new GM? For sure. Build through the draft? Of course.

Get rid of all your veterans? No, I don't think it needs to go that far. There are some good players here.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy has to go. He has lost the team and the fan base. Pace probably needs to go, too. I don't think the roster is awful. Fixing the OL would cure a lot of ills.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I don't think full on blow it up and rebuild's work in the NFL - that's an NBA thing due to how their cap works. I do think over the next 2-3 seasons the Bears needs to completely replace the current starters at S, DL, OL (not including rookies here - it may be Borom and Jenkins at OT in 2 years), WR except Mooney, and they need to find a starting ILB to go next to Ro, a CB#2 and NB, and maybe a receiving TE in case Kmet ends up being JAG.

But you dont blow up and tackle that all at once, you kind of do a running retool. Oh, and coach and GM need to be replaced ASAP.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
The thing no one has talked about in this thread is the timing impact from any potential sale of the Bears and a new stadium in AH. IMO the maximum marketability of the Bears would be achieved by acquiring Arlington Park and bundle it with the sale of the Bears. The McCaskey's don't need to build a new stadium and it doesn't matter if the team still sucks. The new owners get a blank sheet of paper and can execute their own vision across the board. To me that's not only attractive but it's something no other team can offer right now. The close of the Arlington Park sale is likely to happen in late 2022 or 2023. So if you own the Bears and your package was going to be ready to be sold in 2022 or 2023, what moves make sense now? If you don't have new owners lined up, no long term or drastic move (other than Nagy) makes sense. If you do have new owners lined up, do you allow them to influence your personnel moves now?

jc456

Liked Posts:
You can’t “make” someone a solid QB.
sure a team can. Play to that QB's strength, provide protection and provide talent at the key positions.

I know none of that is within the Bears ability, but that is an answer to your statement.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
yep new GM/HC needs to rebuild, trade older players build the OL and WR , this is an offensive league so build a modern offense, if Fields can improve and show something next year in a new system then great, if not then back to looking for a QB..

I think you want all QBs to fail. I now think that secretly you like and have grown accustomed to the abuse...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
sure a team can. Play to that QB's strength, provide protection and provide talent at the key positions.

Yeah no.

Words matter dude.

What you described is "getting the most out of a QB", which is NOT the same as "make someone a solid qb".

What if the most you can get out of a quarterback isn't enough to be a solid qb, even when doing everything around him right?

If it were as simple as you say, there wouldn't be all this massive turnover of QBs in the NFL...

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I think you want all QBs to fail. I now think that secretly you like and have grown accustomed to the abuse...
by wanting to evaluate Fields under a better HC, OL and WRs I want him to fail? Are you Special person?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
by wanting to evaluate Fields under a better HC, OL and WRs I want him to fail? Are you Special person?

Dear God - you and Remy. Both the same.

You guys (paraphrasing):

"Fields sucks!"
"Fields not ready!"
"Bears Drafted another bust"

Me: "Why you hating on Fields and ignoring the O-line and horrible scheme?"

You guys:

"Whaaa? Who said that? I just want Fields evaluated by a different coach like everyone else!"

You guys are either hormonal fans with memory issues or flat straight up are passive-aggressive trolls.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Yeah no.

Words matter dude.

What you described is "getting the most out of a QB", which is NOT the same as "make someone a solid qb".

What if the most you can get out of a quarterback isn't enough to be a solid qb, even when doing everything around him right?

If it were as simple as you say, there wouldn't be all this massive turnover of QBs in the NFL...
well it's my interpretation of the phrase 'solid QB'. Feel free to provide your interpretation of a solid QB.

There are many solid QBs that fail once they walk away from the team they succeeded with. Sometimes it's only one year. Look at Mahomes this year, you think he looks solid today? Dude won a super bowl. His offensive line isn't providing the same protection. So yeah, I believe in what I wrote.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I know none of that is within the Bears ability, but that is an answer to your statement.
That’s called supporting a QB. None of it actually makes a QB anything.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Dear God - you and Remy. Both the same.

You guys (paraphrasing):

"Fields sucks!"
"Fields not ready!"
"Bears Drafted another bust"

Me: "Why you hating on Fields and ignoring the O-line and horrible scheme?"

You guys:

"Whaaa? Who said that? I just want Fields evaluated by a different coach like everyone else!"

You guys are either hormonal fans with memory issues or flat straight up are passive-aggressive trolls.

Yeah except you chose to quote me when I said that I want a new HC/GM OL and WR and said how "great" it would be if Fields improved after that..

And then you accuse me of just wanting him to fail and now accusing me of ignoring the O-line and Scheme? lol So I ask again.. are you Special person?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I disagree
“If Pace is gone it will be the job of the next GM to make him successful,”

The initial comment I replied to.

How the hell do you MAKE him successful? You can support him all day. Draft players to help him. Get a good coach and scheme but none of this MAKES him successful. At the end of the day it’s still the QBs job to play the fucking game.

jc456

Liked Posts:
“If Pace is gone it will be the job of the next GM to make him successful,”

The initial comment I replied to.

How the hell do you MAKE him successful? You can support him all day. Draft players to help him. Get a good coach and scheme but none of this MAKES him successful. At the end of the day it’s still the QBs job to play the fucking game.
that isn't the comment that I responded to of yours however, so please stay on the correct post.

I can't stand Pace, he can leave anytime. Again, not the conversation I responded to.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
that isn't the comment that I responded to of yours however, so please stay on the correct post.

I can't stand Pace, he can leave anytime. Again, not the conversation I responded to.
E96297CC-50FB-449E-AEC3-1FE34E7A05CD.jpeg
BA1A8D51-0880-4345-AAB5-851811CFB4A6.jpeg

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Definitely full rebuild.

Fields is 1 year removed from being a top prospect, I bet there are a number of GM prospects that like him on the merits and wouldn’t bail on him just to get their guy. But, that would obviously depend on who they get.

Just keep Ernie Accorsi out of Chicago