Tracking the top 3-4 OLBs

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Gregory looks like a freaking WR. He has bust written all over him.

This just validates for me that Ray should be the top edge rusher closely followed by Fowler. The only real question about Ray was his size and his measurements are on par with Von Miller and Clay Mathews. To whoever said he doesn't have great hands I think you better watch some more tape. He showcases violent hands and a pretty good rip move.

The only other real question for Ray is how he moves in space. I don't think that's going to be a problem though.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Gregory looks like a freaking WR. He has bust written all over him.

This just validates for me that Ray should be the top edge rusher closely followed by Fowler. The only real question about Ray was his size and his measurements are on par with Von Miller and Clay Mathews. To whoever said he doesn't have great hands I think you better watch some more tape. He showcases violent hands and a pretty good rip move.

The only other real question for Ray is how he moves in space. I don't think that's going to be a problem though.

I think you are right he has all the tools to succeed as a stand up rush backer. His relentless pursuit of both QBs and ball-carriers combined with that elite closing speed should allow him to do so. His tape against South Carolina showed a lot of versatility as he moved all over the line from RDE to LDE to 3-tech and was dominant doing so.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
My top Edge rushers in this draft are...

1. Dante Fowler
2. Shane Ray
3. Vic Beasley
4. Hau'oli Kikaha

No, I am not forgetting Gregory or Dupree.

Gregory is a 43DE if he can put on the weight but in the end, I think he'll be just average in the NFL. Seriously, 6'5 and only 235 lbs.
Dupree doesn't stand out to me at all and showing up at that weight? He does not have the frame to gain that kind of muscle mass since the season ended. I think he just lost millions.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
My top Edge rushers in this draft are...

1. Dante Fowler
2. Shane Ray
3. Vic Beasley
4. Hau'oli Kikaha

No, I am not forgetting Gregory or Dupree.

Gregory is a 43DE if he can put on the weight but in the end, I think he'll be just average in the NFL. Seriously, 6'5 and only 235 lbs.
Dupree doesn't stand out to me at all and showing up at that weight? He does not have the frame to gain that kind of muscle mass since the season ended. I think he just lost millions.

I have Ray and Fowler as my top 2 as well. I am more concerned with Gregory's weight than Dupree's. Gregory was listed at 242 and showed up even lighter at 235. Dupree was listed at 267 and showed up at 269. Dupree has shown he can fly around at that weight whereas Gregory is either keeping his weight low for a quick 40 time or simply really undersized for his frame, both concern me as it will be hard to get a sense for his true weight and true playing speed.

Beasley also concerns me showing up 21 lbs heavier than listed but I will reserve judgement until we see how he moves. I give him credit for putting the weight on and giving evaluators the chance to see how he moves at that weight unlike Gregory.

bearsfaninSD

Liked Posts:
Gregory won't be a bust. He hasn't played much defense end in his career and teams fully game planned around him last year. He will have a very productive NFL career.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
I have Ray and Fowler as my top 2 as well. I am more concerned with Gregory's weight than Dupree's. Gregory was listed at 242 and showed up even lighter at 235. Dupree was listed at 267 and showed up at 269. Dupree has shown he can fly around at that weight whereas Gregory is either keeping his weight low for a quick 40 time or simply really undersized for his frame, both concern me as it will be hard to get a sense for his true weight and true playing speed.

Beasley also concerns me showing up 21 lbs heavier than listed but I will reserve judgement until we see how he moves. I give him credit for putting the weight on and giving evaluators the chance to see how he moves at that weight unlike Gregory.

Jesus, I don't think I ever looked at Dupree's weight before this. He never ever looked 265 to me. Guy must be ripped!

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Jesus, I don't think I ever looked at Dupree's weight before this. He never ever looked 265 to me. Guy must be ripped!

He is extremely well built and absolutely ripped. Wild Card posted a workout pic of him in another thread dude is shredded. That is part of the intrigue with Dupree is how well he moves for such a big man. He lined up just about everywhere and was always flying around to the ball.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Gregory won't be a bust. He hasn't played much defense end in his career and teams fully game planned around him last year. He will have a very productive NFL career.

From what I see and hear, Gregory was asked to read-react the OT and oline to make his move. Supposedly, that is what "slowed" him down. If your a top 10 pick, I do not want to hear excuses like this. All the optimism for Gregory revolves around what he "could" do in the NFL playing at either a heavier weight in a 43 or playing a new position in a 34. To many questions and to many "could be good if" for me to think he'll be a great player. I don't think he's a bust but I do think he's going to be simply average. NFL starter for many years but just not that great.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
From what I see and hear, Gregory was asked to read-react the OT and oline to make his move. Supposedly, that is what "slowed" him down. If your a top 10 pick, I do not want to hear excuses like this. All the optimism for Gregory revolves around what he "could" do in the NFL playing at either a heavier weight in a 43 or playing a new position in a 34. To many questions and to many "could be good if" for me to think he'll be a great player. I don't think he's a bust but I do think he's going to be simply average. NFL starter for many years but just not that great.

as a 3-4 OLB I think Gregory could dominate

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I made a post about Gregory a little while ago. A lot of his sacks didn't come from beating OT's with great technique, a good majority of them came off his ability to take advantage of bad plays (botched snaps and missed assignments). Most of time, if an OT gets his hands on Gregory he is taken out of the play. I watched Taylor Lewan absolutely monster him for 4-5 seconds on one play in the Michigan game in 2013. I really did not see this so called great technique from Gregory. If an OT can get his hands on him, he is pretty much toast.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I made a post about Gregory a little while ago. A lot of his sacks didn't come from beating OT's with great technique, a good majority of them came off his ability to take advantage of bad plays (botched snaps and missed assignments). Most of time, if an OT gets his hands on Gregory he is taken out of the play. I watched Taylor Lewan absolutely monster him for 4-5 seconds on one play in the Michigan game in 2013. I really did not see this so called great technique from Gregory. If an OT can get his hands on him, he is pretty much toast.

not according to these guys...they love gregorys technique and hands

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/02/07/rsp-film-room-no-27-randy-gregory/

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
as a 3-4 OLB I think Gregory could dominate

I think a switch to a 3-4 will definitely help Gregory as his length and closing speed are elite. The upside is obviously there so he could certainly dominate in the scheme but he will need to put on some weight to avoid becoming a situational player at the next level.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I think a switch to a 3-4 will definitely help Gregory as his length and closing speed are elite. The upside is obviously there so he could certainly dominate in the scheme but he will need to put on some weight to avoid becoming a situational player at the next level.

I certainly agree with that...I can easily see him playing the aldon smith role and having a big time impact at it

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Am warming to Fowler.......his size....his versatility.....he'd start day one......

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
What kind of 40 time and verticals do you think the top guys will run? I have provided the 40 and vert for the list of LBs I used earlier to compare with physically.

Von Miller - 6’3 246 lbs (now 250 lbs) 33 ½” arm length – 4.53 40 – 37” vert

Khalil Mack – 6’3 251 lbs 33 ¼” arm length – 4.65 40 – 40” vertical

Justin Houston – 6’3 270 lbs (now 258) 34 ½” arm length – 4.68 40 – 36.5” vertical

Aldon Smith – 6’4 263 lbs – 35 3/8” arm length – 4.78 40, 34” vertical

Demarcus Ware 6’3 ½ 247 lbs (now 258) – 34” arm length – 4.56 40 – 38.5” vertical

Clay matthews – 6’3 240 – 4.67 40 – 35.5” vertical

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
What kind of 40 time and verticals do you think the top guys will run? I have provided the 40 and vert for the list of LBs I used earlier to compare with physically.

Von Miller - 6’3 246 lbs (now 250 lbs) 33 ½” arm length – 4.53 40 – 37” vert

Khalil Mack – 6’3 251 lbs 33 ¼” arm length – 4.65 40 – 40” vertical

Justin Houston – 6’3 270 lbs (now 258) 34 ½” arm length – 4.68 40 – 36.5” vertical

Aldon Smith – 6’4 263 lbs – 35 3/8” arm length – 4.78 40, 34” vertical

Demarcus Ware 6’3 ½ 247 lbs (now 258) – 34” arm length – 4.56 40 – 38.5” vertical

Clay matthews – 6’3 240 – 4.67 40 – 35.5” vertical

Ray will be the quickest. Fowler or Gregory the slowest but not by much.

Ray should kill it at the combine and cement himself as a top 5 pick unfortunately. I fully expect him to run close to a 4.5 with a 37-38 inch jump.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Ray should kill it at the combine and cement himself as a top 5 pick unfortunately. I fully expect him to run close to a 4.5 with a 37-38 inch jump.

I hope youre right. let the combine freak be a bust for someone picking ahead of us :nervous:

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

Yeah I think Ray will be fastest with biggest vertical but Fowler will move for a big man and with Gregory's weight low he might fly.

Ray reportedly has been clocked at 4.44 with a 40" + vertical which would be insane. He also reportedly benches 400 lbs so it will be interesting to see how he does there tomorrow considering his arm length.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I hope youre right. let the combine freak be a bust for someone picking ahead of us :nervous:

Pfft. He will have similar tests to great pass rushers like Von Miller, Demarcus Ware and Clay Mathews.

Gregory looks like he should be in the wide out drills.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Pfft. He will have similar tests to great pass rushers like Von Miller, Demarcus Ware and Clay Mathews.

Gregory looks like he should be in the wide out drills.

im assuming you didn't watch the film breakdown on Gregory that I linked in the one response?