Trade Deadline 2023

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Don't forget Stroman. What's happening now is the balancing of the scales...his numbers are evening out to the mean. Anyone familiar with him knows he's at best a #3 or 4...he was pitching like a #1. An affordable starter pitching out of his ass. Hoyer blew his chance so badly that he will get nothing for him. So all the aging crap he brought in here will pay off in a big fat zero. Good job....
I wish we moved him a month ago. I assume we all do.

What pisses me off even more about Stroman is it seems his troubles all started when he was focused on his contract situation, instead of focusing on his on the field performance.

Just about the time he went public discussing the lack of talks with management, his game went to shit

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Verlander back to the Astros.

The Mets are gross. They spent like drunken sailors, got a miserable season to show for it, are trading players off and will just turn around and do it again next year.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Verlander back to the Astros.

The Mets are gross. They spent like drunken sailors, got a miserable season to show for it, are trading players off and will just turn around and do it again next year.
They are also eating a lot of the verlander/scherzer contracts

You’d think that would hamper their ability to spend this offseason, but Cohen has unending pockets it seems

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Scott Barlow, who the Padres just traded for is another guy the cubs should have targeted.

Has had really good years before this season and has a year of team control still after this season

All the padres gave up was their #10 prospect

Oh well

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are not in win now mode.
They made a minor deal (or three).
No great shakes.

Trey Mancini is gone and Patrick Wisdom won't be starting any time soon, so there are some positives, certainly.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
“I knew the circumstances,” Bellinger said on Monday. “But, for me now, it’s just all about continuing to win. Whether there’s trade rumors or not, the goal is to win every single day. That’s what we have -- a good team that understands that. So, same old business from here on out, honestly.”

Bellinger just wrapped up a scorching-hot July in which he hit at a .400 clip with eight homers, five doubles and 24 RBIs in 26 games. He was the seventh Cubs batter on record to have at least a .400 average and eight or more homers in a calendar month, per the Elias Sports Bureau.

“He’s been everything we expected, but he’s been even better than we expected,” Hoyer said. “He’s been fantastic. He’s also just, you’ve seen how he interacts with our players, how he is in the clubhouse, how he is out on the [field with the] team. He’s a huge part of why we have so much confidence in this team.”

Ring it up. Sounds like a pay out to me.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
My thing with the candelario trade is that i just feel like there are teams who you'd put in real contention for the WS. In the NL i'd say it's only LA and ATL and in the AL Texas and Tampa look the strongest to me. You then have the next tier which I've felt like the cubs have been in since i made a post at the start of july. They are like +56 in run differential compared to +88 for LA. Adding candelario to the cubs doesn't push them from one tier to another. If you're buying you should be BUYING. Candelario just feels a bit like a half measure where I honestly feel like you could get similar impact just playing Bellinger at 1B and Tauchman in the OF. If you want to argue the cubs are a little bit better with Candelario i'll concede but my point is more that I don't think they are so much better for it to matter.

In terms of giving up players that doesn't bother me. Cubs are gonna have 40 man issues soon anyways. So it's not exactly a ton of value lost assuming you couldn't get a deal done for better players. But if this is all they were gonna do to improve i feel like it's either them feeling they are a far better team than their record or even run diff or they are kinda feeling pressure to contend from fans and throwing them a some what worthless bone. I suppose they could also just be hoping to get lucky and make the playoffs and have a hot streak. But overall just feels like the team got stuck in limbo of whether or not they were good enough to contend or not and didn't wanna make strong choices either way in terms of selling/buying.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
My thing with the candelario trade is that i just feel like there are teams who you'd put in real contention for the WS. In the NL i'd say it's only LA and ATL and in the AL Texas and Tampa look the strongest to me. You then have the next tier which I've felt like the cubs have been in since i made a post at the start of july. They are like +56 in run differential compared to +88 for LA. Adding candelario to the cubs doesn't push them from one tier to another. If you're buying you should be BUYING. Candelario just feels a bit like a half measure where I honestly feel like you could get similar impact just playing Bellinger at 1B and Tauchman in the OF. If you want to argue the cubs are a little bit better with Candelario i'll concede but my point is more that I don't think they are so much better for it to matter.

In terms of giving up players that doesn't bother me. Cubs are gonna have 40 man issues soon anyways. So it's not exactly a ton of value lost assuming you couldn't get a deal done for better players. But if this is all they were gonna do to improve i feel like it's either them feeling they are a far better team than their record or even run diff or they are kinda feeling pressure to contend from fans and throwing them a some what worthless bone. I suppose they could also just be hoping to get lucky and make the playoffs and have a hot streak. But overall just feels like the team got stuck in limbo of whether or not they were good enough to contend or not and didn't wanna make strong choices either way in terms of selling/buying.

I understand your reasoning. All things measured, the Cubs had no move to put them to that level. I think the win streak certainly pushed them in a direction they didn't expect or actually want this year. For me, making the divisional round of the playoffs should be considered a win for the season. I do think there is value is making moves, even if superficial, to try to continue to win. Free agents to be notice things like that. The Mets did themselves no favors even if their owner could likely just dig in again pull out a bank. Unless it such an overpay, players are likely the hesitate (pure speculation on my part) to sign there next offseason.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I do believe breaking the cap was a issue. Cease also was on the table and Jed did not flip on that either.

So we do know that the glaring issue is the rotation. Hayden was is the pen yesterday so the real question is who pitches on Smyly's day. Is he back to starting again?

Is Stroman fixible? His BABIP jumping .100 might just be a adjustment issue. Normally it means missing location or poor pitch sequence.

So both have been great. The question going forward is can they get back on the horse again?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So my Nostradumbas prediction:

Killian has been in a adjustment year. He has gone to his sinker more at Iowa. His SO per 9 has gone down also. But over all he has looked like a decent SP now that could find moderate success at the next level. I could see Jed utilizing him soon.

Brown has walk issues still. Most are due to his secondary offerings. But in a late inning scenerio he would go into 2 pitch mode and his fastball should uptick in short outings. Both pitches are plus and he would offer a needed high leverage arm.

Lefty in the pen. Key sucks. Little at AA is a legit option. Another high leverage late inning arm from the left side

So as you can see. Jed does have internal options that he might end up playing. So that might have been a reason why he did not over play his hand.