Trading for Giancarlo Stanton

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/cafardo-on-stanton-swisher-red-sox-sizemore.html

The key here is that the Cubs are only ONE of "many" teams interested in acquiring Stanton. "Interest" could mean anything from "due diligence" to "I will unleash a nuclear arsenal of prospects for this". The Cubs, if they are serious about this, would have to pony up big time to get Stanton. Stanton, should he become a Cub, would instantly be the best player in the system.

So here's the conversation starter...

1. Which team is most likely to get Stanton if the Marlins are going to make him available?

2. What would the Cubs have to give up to outcompete other teams?

3. Would Bud Selig be okay with this given that he's displeased with Miami at the moment?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would have to imagine the conversation begins with Javier Baez. FL kid that could be a huge draw with a big bat. It probably would take one of Almora or Soler paired with Baez to be honest. The amount of control and ridiculous talent that is Stanton would require one of the biggest hauls in history.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would have to imagine the conversation begins with Javier Baez. Local kid that could be a huge draw with a big bat. It probably would take one of Almora or Soler paired with Baez to be honest. The amount of control and ridiculous talent that is Stanton would require one of the biggest hauls in history.

Yes, that. I'd like to think that it'd be worth it. And this is one of many reasons I can't be a GM, I'd be afraid to pull the trigger :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wrote the following just now on our FB page:

This is one of those situations where I say "I'd rather have Stanton playing for me than against me" but the trade scenario would necessitate a shift in the organizational priorities. Or maybe not. It'd knock the farm back a few pegs but improve the MLB club immediately, and the Cubs would conceivably have to spend earlier than they otherwise would have without Stanton to take advantage of the talent and try to open the window of opportunity in short order. Really wish I was a fly on the wall in that front office now. The Cubs would have to spend on free agents for sure. And since the CBA tells them pretty much what they're allowed to spend in the draft that's probably a minor detail and they can continue to work on rebuilding the farm in parallel.

Put another way...Theo and Jed could walk into the office tomorrow and say "Fuck this shit, this rebuild is taking too long, let's just get Stanton and we can still build the farm up while buying up every other available free agent out there." Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Oh pleaase some powerful being of power please make this happen.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
It'll probably take the Baez+Soler/Almora deal and an extra MLB player. And I would absolutely pull the trigger.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd do it. And then I'd sign everyone.

[video=youtube;MrTsuvykUZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTsuvykUZk[/video]

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have talked about Castro going to the Marlins, but the talks are dead. Baez would stay then. But like I've been sayin', I cant see a trade happening.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The Cubs have talked about Castro going to the Marlins, but the talks are dead. Baez would stay then. But like I've been sayin', I cant see a trade happening.

I've never heard those rumors, link please.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
LMFAO at waldo's Hot Stove Cubbies "@mikeked I would do that but the Marlins never would. They want an impact player ready or close 2. Baez, Vitters, & Jackson make sense."

:rolleyes: Gonna take more than that unless the Marlins are Special person (well, Loria is, but it still won't be enough)

Oh, even better: "Yeah I would pry give up Baez and McNutt for him. i am a big Stanton fan!"

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
it will take more than soler and baez. that would be the starting point.

Granted if it is Soler, Baez and Logan Watkins types that is a deal that the Cubs can't afford to not make.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Granted if it is Soler, Baez and Logan Watkins types that is a deal that the Cubs can't afford to not make.

understood and agree. Just think it will take more for stanton.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMFAO at waldo's Hot Stove Cubbies "@mikeked I would do that but the Marlins never would. They want an impact player ready or close 2. Baez, Vitters, & Jackson make sense."

:rolleyes: Gonna take more than that unless the Marlins are Special person (well, Loria is, but it still won't be enough)

Oh, even better: "Yeah I would pry give up Baez and McNutt for him. i am a big Stanton fan!"

settle down CO

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
understood and agree. Just think it will take more for stanton.

I don't know what team besides the Marlins would even consider trading Stanton period.

That said I believe I said it would take a historic package to land him, and I think a top 20 and 50 prospect with a few other interesitng prospects would qualify.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Any potential deal for Stanton would more than likely require three of any franchise's top 5 prospects. It'd have to be a team with a ridiculously deep farm system, which to me, would exclude the Cubs. Maybe a team like Texas (Mike Olt, Leonys Martin, Martin Perez may be enough to pry him away) or Seattle (Taijuan Walker, Mike Zunino, Nick Franklin) have enough to entice Miami to let him go. There was actually a speculative trade thrown out by Dave Schoenfield that I actually found extremely interesting, mainly because it helps both teams involved (Tampa Bay and Miami) both in the short and long-term. The trade breaks down as follows --

Miami receives
OF Desmond Jennings
SP Wade Davis
RP Chris Archer
SP Enny Romero
OF Drew Vettleson

Tampa Bay receives
OF Giancarlo Stanton
1B/OF Logan Morrison

Miami would receive two young, affordable major league-ready talents in Jennings and Davis. Davis is signed through '14 at less than $4 million annually with affordable team options in '15, '16 and '17, respectfully (final year has a $2.5 million buyout). Jennings has proven to have plus-defensive skills and base running ability. He reminds me a lot like BJ Upton, with similar 30/30 ability and supreme range in the outfield. He's also not eligible for free agency until 2018, so for a team who wants to pinch pennies, they'll control him through arbitration and can have the ability to flip him for assets in the future. Archer also jumps in with Davis to claim spots in the Marlins' starting rotation. Obviously not lock-down aces, but they're both otherwise good options for fourth and fifth staters.

Miami also adds more prospects (3 of the Rays top 10 rated prospects, including their #3 pitcher and #2 outfielder) to continue stockpiling their farm system. The only real drawback is that these prospects are about two and a half to three years out from arriving in the majors. But again, for a horrifically cheap team, this probably isn't a concern to them.

For the Rays, the get an everyday first baseman in Logan Morrison, a guy who's fallen out of favor with fans in Miami with his chippy attitude. He's got some pop and adequate defense, and has the ability to play in the outfield, as well. But the main piece is obviously the insertion of Stanton, a young power bat with some of the best raw power I've ever seen in my 21 years watching baseball. He plops right into the heart of a stagnent lineup that features Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria. The Rays still need a catcher and second baseman, but if the Rays are able to fill those voids VIA free agency (maybe Marco Scutaro and Russell Martin) they will certainly continue to be in the conversation as the AL East's best team with their fantastic starting pitching and seemingly endless collection of prospects.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I do think the Rays are a good match, but I think the Marlins would need more.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I think any offer Castro would have to be included, to make the trade fair.