Trading for Giancarlo Stanton

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Ultimately this is a fairly big pipedream. I'll admit, it's nice to think about but I would be absolutely floored if the Cubs managed to acquire Stanton. I don't think they have the depth of talent that the Marlins are looking for, and yeah you can package Almora/Soler/Baez into a package but I think a team like the Cardinals can put together a nicer package for Giancarlo which would include a usable MLB ready player.

BTW, you know who is really close to having a good package to throw at the Marlins? The Yankees. Slade Heathcott has been a little ouchy which has hurt his development but he has the raw batspeed and #want the Marlins might be looking for. They also have Mark Montgomery who profiles as a closer. They're missing a starter in that package though.

I don't think Giancarlo (henceforth, John Carlo) will be traded, but I could be wrong.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ultimately this is a fairly big pipedream. I'll admit, it's nice to think about but I would be absolutely floored if the Cubs managed to acquire Stanton. I don't think they have the depth of talent that the Marlins are looking for, and yeah you can package Almora/Soler/Baez into a package but I think a team like the Cardinals can put together a nicer package for Giancarlo which would include a usable MLB ready player.

BTW, you know who is really close to having a good package to throw at the Marlins? The Yankees. Slade Heathcott has been a little ouchy which has hurt his development but he has the raw batspeed and #want the Marlins might be looking for. They also have Mark Montgomery who profiles as a closer. They're missing a starter in that package though.

I don't think Giancarlo (henceforth, John Carlo) will be traded, but I could be wrong.

Seriously though why would MLB ready players interest the Marlins. I mean Stanton is the ultimate combination of cost controlled, age and major leauge production. If they are trading him they have to be getting much, much younger.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Seriously though why would MLB ready players interest the Marlins. I mean Stanton is the ultimate combination of cost controlled, age and major leauge production. If they are trading him they have to be getting much, much younger.

To clarify

MLB ready as I use it means a prospect who is ready to make an impact at the ML level sooner rather than later. I do think the Marlins are going for a blend of prospects, not just young kids with high ceilings.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
To clarify

MLB ready as I use it means a prospect who is ready to make an impact at the ML level sooner rather than later. I do think the Marlins are going for a blend of prospects, not just young kids with high ceilings.

I guess I can see that, but I just think this is a weird circumstance where highest ceiling might win out.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I guess I can see that, but I just think this is a weird circumstance where highest ceiling might win out.

Maybe.

Trades are weird and they happen for completely odd reasons. The best any of us can give is an educated guess as to what we think will happen.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe.

Trades are weird and they happen for completely odd reasons. The best any of us can give is an educated guess as to what we think will happen.

True and ultimately as we have been saying only the Marlins would consider trading a player as young, cost controlled and major league productive as Stanton. There are teams that could offer more than the Cubs. It is hard to see a real package developing given the sheer amount of talent that would be involved in the trade.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, now that we are sort of in agreement that the Cubs likely cannot outcompete other teams in this hypothetical, let's move on to the next pipe dream :lol:

Kleats

Liked Posts:
He hits em like Gary Sheffield ( minus the bat wiggle ) but same muscled- up type swing . Kids got HOFer potential . Better outfielder than u might think also. Be great to have himand watch the balls just fly out of Wrigley .

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He hits em like Gary Sheffield ( minus the bat wiggle ) but same muscled- up type swing . Kids got HOFer potential . Better outfielder than u might think also. Be great to have himand watch the balls just fly out of Wrigley .

Would've been nice if the Cubs actually had the depth to outcompete other teams should Stanton really be available.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Okay, now that we are sort of in agreement that the Cubs likely cannot outcompete other teams in this hypothetical, let's move on to the next pipe dream :lol:

Like a World Series victory?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
some fans on twitter are like "you cantzz getsz ridsz of teh castroozzz" what tools.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
For Giancarlo?

Dude I'd have packed his bags for him.

It's not that I wouldn't trade Castro for him, it's that the contract makes it a bit impractical. You'd have to pay damn near the entire contract extension or else it just isn't worth it to the Fish to take Castro on in my opinion. Stanton isn't even arb eligible until 2014 and you know they're going to keep him league minimum until then. And because he's going to rake and cost an arm and a leg in arb year one, they likely trade him then instead of now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heyman says the Marlins won't trade Stanton anyway :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
UNTIL WE OFFER THEM STARLIN CASTRO.

The only realistic way this works is if the Cubs pay all of Castro's contract and then they'd have to eventually pay for Stanton's extension. That's a lot of money :D

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The only realistic way this works is if the Cubs pay all of Castro's contract and then they'd have to eventually pay for Stanton's extension. That's a lot of money :D

I know, Rice :lol: Like I mentioned a few posts earlier.... unless a team is willing to part with some super elite prospects for Stanton, the Marlins won't trade him until he's into his arbitration years. It just wouldn't make sense for them. But -- who knows? What if the Rangers go nuts, resign Hamilton and offer up Martin Perez, Mike Olt and another high-rated prospect? They might bat an eyelash at that.