Trask in the 2nd..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
A sickening thought that Matt Nagy may coach the Bears in 2021.. but a distinct possibility. Does Trask fit what Nagy wants to do?

Drafting Trask in the 2nd would allow the Bears to upgrade the OT position in round 1 and if Trask is there in the middle of the second does that make sense?

Nagy clearly has no interest in a QB that runs the football and no interest in moving the pocket, so Trask checks those boxes. Nagy also loves to work out of the shotgun, likes the short passing game and can occasionally scheme up a good deep receiver. Trask checks those boxes as well.

Trask's lack of arm strength and mobility isn't really going to hurt the short passing game where the ball comes out before the pass rush and placement is more important than velocity. Trask is very accurate. Trask also throws a very nice deep ball that neither Trubisky or Foles consistently connected on, giving the offense some potency, and if there is only one compliment I can give Nagy is that he does occasionally scheme up the good deep route, we just don't hit it. Trask is super comfortable out of the shotgun and at 6'5 can see over the line very well.

The downside is that Trask is still a limited skillset QB that may not have the tools to make it, Nagy's system still sucks even with a QB that fits, and if the Bears are drafting 19th or 20th overall Trask may not last that late into the 2nd. Still, its a very interesting fit with a true pure pocket passer that gives the Bears some hope and depth at QB that they desperately need.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
If you're gonna take a shot at a QB prospect, do in the first round. Even if you have to trade up.

Don't try and get cute with one in the second and nickle and dime your way at the most important position in football.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If you're gonna take a shot at a QB prospect, do in the first round. Even if you have to trade up.

Don't try and get cute with one in the second and nickle and dime your way at the most important position in football.

Trask is not getting cute....he's a legit prospect who if he falls to us in the second round is heavily worth the pick.

I have no issue with it. There is a realistic chance you won't have a chance to draft any of the top 5 prospects before we pick at #20(if we somehow beat NO, even higher).

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yes, he has a limited physical skill set, but he's as accurate as any qb in this draft class and is smart and savvy.

He's pretty much the only guy who could slip into the 2nd that could be a realistic answer.

That being said, i'd love me some fields/wilson if they fall and we can trade up. Just not realistic.

Now drafting a LT in the first and trask in the 2nd is a lot more probable...

Visionman

Liked Posts:

I agree. Trade up for your guy, or take a flier on a late rd guy. Don’t get “just a guy” because you feel you need a QB....

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Yes, he has a limited physical skill set, but he's as accurate as any qb in this draft class and is smart and savvy.

He's pretty much the only guy who could slip into the 2nd that could be a realistic answer.

That being said, i'd love me some fields/wilson if they fall and we can trade up. Just not realistic.

Now drafting a LT in the first and trask in the 2nd is a lot more probable...
Don’t we need to draft all defense, to replace our lack of talent on that side of the ball?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It is hard to ignore Trask, and QBs get over drafted all the time, so I think he will be one of those guys that a team trades back into the first round to take with less cost, but it allows for a 5th year option if he is good.

I would be ok with him as a prospect. Problem is he would likely be forced into action before he is ready, because I think Trubisky goes elsewhere, and Foles will either suck or get hurt.

I just want them to make a move at QB this year, give us something to hope for.

Trask, Jones, Wilson (he is likely out of reach now), Lance, and there are a couple of experienced guys like Darnold or Tyrod Taylor that could be moving and might not cost the world to get as a stop gap.

Do we think that Foles could be traded? His contract is not that bad, but if Trubisky is out playing him, then he might not have much of a market.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Because you can never get a quarterback in any round except the first....amirite

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point i would love trask or jones in the 2nd maybe even late 1st. Both could easily bust but they need to take a fn qb this year

napo55

Liked Posts:
With Robinson probably leaving, this team desperately needs wide receivers. Any QB with what we have now is doomed to failure.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
With Robinson probably leaving, this team desperately needs wide receivers. Any QB with what we have now is doomed to failure.
Well there is this guy named Mooney on the team

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
All good points, but sitting at 18-20, we don't have the capital to move up significantly.

If you love Mac Jones, maybe you move 2-3 spots to grab him, but that is likely the limit of our reach.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Nagy will be back. But also, I don't care if a guy fits in his offense, because his offense probably isn't going to be around after 2021. Draft the best traits on the board at QB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Personally not into Trask. I'd go Jones or skip Trask and go Newman or Ridder later. Qbs are hard so who knows?

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Extremely limited and requires an ideal situation to have success at the college level. What will that look like in the NFL? Likely not pretty. He’s built like Haskins with the arm of Brad Kaaya. Just another prospect fans push when they’re out of contention for legit ones.