Trask in the 2nd..

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
A sickening thought that Matt Nagy may coach the Bears in 2021.. but a distinct possibility. Does Trask fit what Nagy wants to do?

Drafting Trask in the 2nd would allow the Bears to upgrade the OT position in round 1 and if Trask is there in the middle of the second does that make sense?

Nagy clearly has no interest in a QB that runs the football and no interest in moving the pocket, so Trask checks those boxes. Nagy also loves to work out of the shotgun, likes the short passing game and can occasionally scheme up a good deep receiver. Trask checks those boxes as well.

Trask's lack of arm strength and mobility isn't really going to hurt the short passing game where the ball comes out before the pass rush and placement is more important than velocity. Trask is very accurate. Trask also throws a very nice deep ball that neither Trubisky or Foles consistently connected on, giving the offense some potency, and if there is only one compliment I can give Nagy is that he does occasionally scheme up the good deep route, we just don't hit it. Trask is super comfortable out of the shotgun and at 6'5 can see over the line very well.

The downside is that Trask is still a limited skillset QB that may not have the tools to make it, Nagy's system still sucks even with a QB that fits, and if the Bears are drafting 19th or 20th overall Trask may not last that late into the 2nd. Still, its a very interesting fit with a true pure pocket passer that gives the Bears some hope and depth at QB that they desperately need.
Im going to say this and you and others will think im nuts but im telling you the guy to take is Ridder from Cincinnati. Ive seen him in a few games and recently watched some videos and read some scouting on him and i think hes a guy that could be steal. He could be a Colin Kaepernick type QB if you give him time to develop. He seemed a bit held back by the offense he was in which was an RPO but he seemed to be able to make all the throws but didnt get enough reps in games to sharpen his accuracy. Hes got a cannon but also makes some really nice touch throws and ive seen him hit some tight windows with some zip. Hes athletic as hell, tall and a little thin but nothing concerning. Im telling you this is the guy. I would not be surprised if as the draft draws near and we get through the combine his stock rises, possibly into the first which could be the Bears.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Mooney is a solid #2, we will need a primary #1 if Robinson leaves.
Mooney is a rookie, who's to say he can't become/turn into a #1

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Im going to say this and you and others will think im nuts but im telling you the guy to take is Ridder from Cincinnati. Ive seen him in a few games and recently watched some videos and read some scouting on him and i think hes a guy that could be steal. He could be a Colin Kaepernick type QB if you give him time to develop. He seemed a bit held back by the offense he was in which was an RPO but he seemed to be able to make all the throws but didnt get enough reps in games to sharpen his accuracy. Hes got a cannon but also makes some really nice touch throws and ive seen him hit some tight windows with some zip. Hes athletic as hell, tall and a little thin but nothing concerning. Im telling you this is the guy. I would not be surprised if as the draft draws near and we get through the combine his stock rises, possibly into the first which could be the Bears.

I like Ridder as well, possible 3rd round guy maybe 2nd that allows to go OT/WR/Def before and get a decent guy a little later

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
A sickening thought that Matt Nagy may coach the Bears in 2021.. but a distinct possibility. Does Trask fit what Nagy wants to do?

Drafting Trask in the 2nd would allow the Bears to upgrade the OT position in round 1 and if Trask is there in the middle of the second does that make sense?

Nagy clearly has no interest in a QB that runs the football and no interest in moving the pocket, so Trask checks those boxes. Nagy also loves to work out of the shotgun, likes the short passing game and can occasionally scheme up a good deep receiver. Trask checks those boxes as well.

Trask's lack of arm strength and mobility isn't really going to hurt the short passing game where the ball comes out before the pass rush and placement is more important than velocity. Trask is very accurate. Trask also throws a very nice deep ball that neither Trubisky or Foles consistently connected on, giving the offense some potency, and if there is only one compliment I can give Nagy is that he does occasionally scheme up the good deep route, we just don't hit it. Trask is super comfortable out of the shotgun and at 6'5 can see over the line very well.

The downside is that Trask is still a limited skillset QB that may not have the tools to make it, Nagy's system still sucks even with a QB that fits, and if the Bears are drafting 19th or 20th overall Trask may not last that late into the 2nd. Still, its a very interesting fit with a true pure pocket passer that gives the Bears some hope and depth at QB that they desperately need.

6 QBs aren’t going in the first round.

I only see Wilson, Fields and Lawrence going in the first round actually. One of those other guys will likely get to round three or later. We do this too often, but the hype but forget about the scheme fit, playcalling and overall direction that teams want to go in the NFL from the QB position. Face it, if a franchise doesn’t think he fits their system, he drops, there are 21 other positions they might feel they’re getting a pro bowl talent at. Instead of the 4th or 5th best QB.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
6 QBs aren’t going in the first round.

I only see Wilson, Fields and Lawrence going in the first round actually. One of those other guys will likely get to round three or later. We do this too often, but the hype but forget about the scheme fit, playcalling and overall direction that teams want to go in the NFL from the QB position. Face it, if a franchise doesn’t think he fits their system, he drops, there are 21 other positions they might feel they’re getting a pro bowl talent at. Instead of the 4th or 5th best QB.
what? At least 4 go in the first round.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
what? At least 4 go in the first round.

buddy. We’ve seen this before. All it takes is one guy to slip. Or a crazy selection nobody saw coming and were there.

I’m just saying. If the teams that need QBs take them, teams that don’t get their guy to drop might take OLine or edge guys.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I only see Wilson, Fields and Lawrence going in the first round actually.

Dude, Trey Lance is going top 10-15 guaranteed. That's 4 in the first half of the first round alone.

Most mocks have Mac Jones going in the 15-18 spot, so he would be the other guy we have a shot at. Very few mocks have Mac Jones slipping out of the first round. It is possible. But there is no guarantee Jones would even be available when we select.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Mooney is a solid #2, we will need a primary #1 if Robinson leaves.

The only way I can see the Bears not drafting a QB is if they sign Trubisky to a multi-year deal or they go forward with Foles as the starter next season. The second option isn't really an option, Foles is not a starter.

So you either sign Trubs on a short deal if he will accept, or let him go and draft his replacement this season.

The Bears need to look hard at Jones and Trask and see if either upgrades their current roster, if they believe so, they target one or both and run with it. And both of these guys need protection to succeed, so you must upgrade the OT situation.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
The mocks are never totally right. 4 QBs in rd 1 is a lot, most drafts it is less than that.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Dude, Trey Lance is going top 10-15 guaranteed. That's 4 in the first half of the first round alone.

Most mocks have Mac Jones going in the 15-18 spot, so he would be the other guy we have a shot at. Very few mocks have Mac Jones slipping out of the first round. It is possible. But there is no guarantee Jones would even be available when we select.

Most Mocks are overselling QBs because they think NFL teams buy on desperation.

there are 3 corners, 3 LTs, and 3 Edge guys that could all go top 10 or 15 over taking a QB.

Nobody wants to miss in the first round and only 2 QBs that get taken might make it. We see this all the time. Doesn’t mean that Lawrence might bust, or Lance won’t be a star. It just means all 5 aren’t going to cut it and I say that with 100% certainty.

so saying your taking the 5th QB in the first round when the best corner or edge guy is on the board might get you fired as a GM. Hindsight the QBs of the last 20 years. A lot more misses than hits.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
so saying your taking the 5th QB in the first round when the best corner or edge guy is on the board might get you fired as a GM.
Chris, the title of my thread is Trask in the 2nd. Honestly, I think anyone other than Lawrence is a gamble. But the NFL has become a QB driven league and every year we see QBs get over-drafted. I would hate to be the Jets and have to pick between Fields and Wilson.. both IMO intriguing but flawed prospects who could both bust.

I only suggested Jones as the alternative for people who don't like Trask, but honestly, I think they are a wash talent-wise. Jones was just on a team that was more stacked with talent and had such a great running game it made things very easy for him.

Trey Lance just has too much prototypical athletic talent to fall down the draft charts. He probably should fall, but I don't think he will. So after pick 15, if you want any chance at a starting QB, you have got Jones and Trask.. and then the talent pool really falls off.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Don’t we need to draft all defense, to replace our lack of talent on that side of the ball?

I understand you are trying your best at a troll attempt, but yes, the defense has a lack of talent. Difference is we have a ton invested in the defense, while very little invested in the offense.

Considering the fact our offense has shown actual potential this season from the young guys, it would make much more sense to go all offense the first three rounds.

This defense is going to be bad in a year or two anyways. Might as well build on what could be your strength.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Chris, the title of my thread is Trask in the 2nd. Honestly, I think anyone other than Lawrence is a gamble. But the NFL has become a QB driven league and every year we see QBs get over-drafted. I would hate to be the Jets and have to pick between Fields and Wilson.. both IMO intriguing but flawed prospects who could both bust.

I only suggested Jones as the alternative for people who don't like Trask, but honestly, I think they are a wash talent-wise. Jones was just on a team that was more stacked with talent and had such a great running game it made things very easy for him.

Trey Lance just has too much prototypical athletic talent to fall down the draft charts. He probably should fall, but I don't think he will. So after pick 15, if you want any chance at a starting QB, you have got Jones and Trask.. and then the talent pool really falls off.

Im saying I think he will be there and that you can’t justify taking him unless you are a team that’s got an aging star that’s retiring. The Saints or Tampa for example could take him. But I doubt they don’t try to help other spots first.

Also Mac Jones is the mistake of the century for a GM waiting to happen. His WRs are both first rounders. Not because he’s good but because they catch ten yard passes and run 75 yards.

it’s not hard to find the open guy when the open guy is literally 7 yards away from the next closest player.

Mac Jones is a 3rd round talent. Just because he plays at Alabama. I’m not giving any Alabama QB 1st round grades. None of them get challenged. And if I’m an NFL GM I’m not risking my career on a QB surrounded by Elite talent and expecting him to come to an average team and repeat that success.

Alabama is an all star team. If they lose then it’s literally just sad and pathetic, because the next closest teams recruiting classes are galaxy’s away.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Personally not into Trask. I'd go Jones or skip Trask and go Newman or Ridder later. Qbs are hard so who knows?

I appreciate that take.

Its funny, because the same guys criticizing him probably critiqued mahomes and josh allen and lamar jackson.

You simply don't know with QB prospects. It's why the GOAT is a 6th rounder.

I've always preached that the most important tool for a qb to have when transitioning into the nfl is accuracy. Pocket presence is second to that.

Arm strength, mobility, etc, those are all "flash" skillsets you can live without. There have been plenty of greats with mediocre arm strength. Accuracy can't be thought. You can improve your velocity over time, you rarely can improve your accuracy. You would think if dear sweet mitchell thought us anything it would have been that.

I just don't see any other qb prospect of the top 6 lasting to #20(or 22 or w/e if we beat the saints), unlesss, of course, we trade up.

Trask to me is worth a 2nd round pick as much as any other player. 2nd rounders aren't sure fire picks, they are in the second round because they have solid NFL starter level talent.

I'll take solid nfl starter over any of the mess we have now. Either way, I think you absolutely need to take a QB in the first 3 rounds, no matter who it is. If thats a trade up for lance, fine(I don't like it, but I didn't like the mitch pick either). If thats Newman in the 3rd....fine.

You can't go into next season with nick foles as your only realistic qb, or some trash stopgap like Andy Dalton.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Agreed. I can't see the top 4 lasting very far. The top 3 QB's are going top 5, almost guaranteed. That leaves lance for 15 picks before us. He won't be there minus a trade up, which I'm not fond of for trey lance.

Jones COULD be there, but even that im starting to doubt, especially if he balls out in the title game. Some team like the saints/pats/steelers, etc will get desperate and trade up for him I feel like once they see the run on QB's.

That leaves trask, Ridder, and Newman. It's easy to see who the best nfl prospect is of the 3.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
Also Mac Jones is the mistake of the century for a GM waiting to happen. His WRs are both first rounders. Not because he’s good but because they catch ten yard passes and run 75 yards.

it’s not hard to find the open guy when the open guy is literally 7 yards away from the next closest player.
You have not watched Alabama this year if you believe the bolded to be true.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Im saying I think he will be there and that you can’t justify taking him unless you are a team that’s got an aging star that’s retiring. The Saints or Tampa for example could take him. But I doubt they don’t try to help other spots first.

Mac Jones is a 3rd round talent. Just because he plays at Alabama. I’m not giving any Alabama QB 1st round grades. None of them get challenged. And if I’m an NFL GM I’m not risking my career on a QB surrounded by Elite talent and expecting him to come to an average team and repeat that success.

Alabama is an all star team. If they lose then it’s literally just sad and pathetic, because the next closest teams recruiting classes are galaxy’s away.

While I agree with you on the fact the talent around him scares me off a bit, every qb that plays for a top NCAA recruiting program will have top talent.

Joe burrow was just fine this year, and he had 4 first round picks as his first 3 WR's and RB.