Trask in the 2nd..

cobra302

Liked Posts:
A sickening thought that Matt Nagy may coach the Bears in 2021.. but a distinct possibility. Does Trask fit what Nagy wants to do?

Drafting Trask in the 2nd would allow the Bears to upgrade the OT position in round 1 and if Trask is there in the middle of the second does that make sense?

Nagy clearly has no interest in a QB that runs the football and no interest in moving the pocket, so Trask checks those boxes. Nagy also loves to work out of the shotgun, likes the short passing game and can occasionally scheme up a good deep receiver. Trask checks those boxes as well.

Trask's lack of arm strength and mobility isn't really going to hurt the short passing game where the ball comes out before the pass rush and placement is more important than velocity. Trask is very accurate. Trask also throws a very nice deep ball that neither Trubisky or Foles consistently connected on, giving the offense some potency, and if there is only one compliment I can give Nagy is that he does occasionally scheme up the good deep route, we just don't hit it. Trask is super comfortable out of the shotgun and at 6'5 can see over the line very well.

The downside is that Trask is still a limited skillset QB that may not have the tools to make it, Nagy's system still sucks even with a QB that fits, and if the Bears are drafting 19th or 20th overall Trask may not last that late into the 2nd. Still, its a very interesting fit with a true pure pocket passer that gives the Bears some hope and depth at QB that they desperately need.
[/QUOTE Would like to see Mac Jones as Bears QB. Very accurate passer, just what they need

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Potential teams looking at QB in draft or moving on/trading vets:
Patriots(No QB)
NYJ(Trade Darnold)
Colts(River retire)
Jaguars*
Raiders(Trade Carr)
Broncos(Lock on short leash)
WFT(Alex Smith retire?)
Eagles(Trade Wentz/Hurts)
Bears(no QB)
Lions(Trade Stafford)
Vikings(Trade Cousins)
Saints(Brees retire)
Falcons(Trade Ryan)
49ers(cut Jimmy G)
Steelers/Bucs/Carolina also may look for some youth at the position.

That looks like a lot of teams in need of the most important position. So I think yes it’s very realistic to say 4-5 can go first rd.

heres the issue with listing all those teams that have qbs that they are “looking to trade.”

you have to have a trade partner to trade. So if one team trades away a qb, that qb has to get traded to one of the qb needy teams you also list. It’s not as simple as, oh there’s like 8 teams looking to trade their QB, thus that’s 8 potential qbs drafted. Not how it works

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If you're gonna take a shot at a QB prospect, do in the first round. Even if you have to trade up.

Don't try and get cute with one in the second and nickle and dime your way at the most important position in football.
The most important position in this NFL draft isn’t worth trading up for. Not 1 of those quarterbacks are going to be the next Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees....or Watson or Mahomes. It’s not a class worth trading away assets. This team has holes everywhere and all these quarterbacks will need a very good supporting class around them to succeed. Trading down but not out is the path I would pursue......more draft picks is better than less draft picks and more over priced free agents

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get this argument that a qb drafted in the second round is just a guy but taking one in the first means he has franchise potential. The point is to get value and not to reach.

I doubt you can convince me there's a big difference between taking the fourth or fifth highest rated qb in the first vs the fifth or sixth highest in the second.

If a 10 year starting LT falls to the Bears at 20 and they pass imma be pissed.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
The most important position in this NFL draft isn’t worth trading up for. Not 1 of those quarterbacks are going to be the next Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees....or Watson or Mahomes.
They said the same exact thing about literally every single one of these guys as prospects when they were coming out in the draft.

The only dumb thing you can do is not take a swing at one has high in the draft as you can possibly manage.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They said the same exact thing about literally every single one of these guys as prospects when they were coming out in the draft.

The only dumb thing you can do is not take a swing at one has high in the draft as you can possibly manage.

Brady, Montana and Brees were all afterthoughts in their draft years

msadows

Liked Posts:
Jones or Lance isn’t going to be any better in the 1st

I'm not higher on either of those two over trask.

If you can get him in the 2nd, and still draft a franchise LT in the 1st.....I'd 100% rather do that.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:

Wrong. The miss rate on high QB picks is substantial and the Bears miss rate on any position seems to be much higher than that. If you traded up to swing and miss you just screwed up two opportunities and the only next step available is FA which means you're now depleting cap space. Unless a team is literally one player away from being elite, your formula ensures the needle stays pointing down.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
heres the issue with listing all those teams that have qbs that they are “looking to trade.”

you have to have a trade partner to trade. So if one team trades away a qb, that qb has to get traded to one of the qb needy teams you also list. It’s not as simple as, oh there’s like 8 teams looking to trade their QB, thus that’s 8 potential qbs drafted. Not how it works
I understand math I’m just saying there is potential for a lot of movement. Not all are going to be traded obviously. It will be a carousel of QBs and everyone’s looking for that young franchise QB.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Wrong. The miss rate on high QB picks is substantial and the Bears miss rate on any position seems to be much higher than that. If you traded up to swing and miss you just screwed up two opportunities and the only next step available is FA which means you're now depleting cap space. Unless a team is literally one player away from being elite, your formula ensures the needle stays pointing down.

Hit rate for first rounders period is 53%. Thats just starters, not probowlers/all pros.

Hit rate for QB is a lot lower.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Just did the math. From 2000-2020 there have been 56 qb's taken.

I'd say about 20 something were terrible AF, then about 10-12 or so are about mitch trubisky level(not terrible but not good enough to be an nfl starter).

I'd imagine after the first round QB's are the lowest success rate as well.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Potential teams looking at QB in draft or moving on/trading vets:
Patriots(No QB)
NYJ(Trade Darnold)
Colts(River retire)
Jaguars*
Raiders(Trade Carr)
Broncos(Lock on short leash)
WFT(Alex Smith retire?)
Eagles(Trade Wentz/Hurts)
Bears(no QB)
Lions(Trade Stafford)
Vikings(Trade Cousins)
Saints(Brees retire)
Falcons(Trade Ryan)
49ers(cut Jimmy G)
Steelers/Bucs/Carolina also may look for some youth at the position.

That looks like a lot of teams in need of the most important position. So I think yes it’s very realistic to say 4-5 can go first rd.
Jets not so certain. Word is they're sticking with Darnold. Sounds unbelievable but they are stupid like that. Everybody always thinks Carr is about to get traded every season. I don't think so. Eagles have said they are sticking with Wentz and can fix him. His humongous contract really leaves them no other choice.

With vets like Ryan, Cousins, Stafford, Watson and even MT available, there's an uncertainty of which QB needy teams will be drafting their QB early or taking the vets.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Jets not so certain. Word is they're sticking with Darnold. Sounds unbelievable but they are stupid like that. Everybody always thinks Carr is about to get traded every season. I don't think so. Eagles have said they are sticking with Wentz and can fix him. His humongous contract really leaves them no other choice.

With vets like Ryan, Cousins, Stafford, Watson and even MT available, there's an uncertainty of which QB needy teams will be drafting their QB early or taking the vets.
Of course there is nothing certain about any of this. Just more potential movement than I’ve ever remembered. Could be 2 QBs taken round one could be 4 or 5 even.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course there is nothing certain about any of this. Just more potential movement than I’ve ever remembered. Could be 2 QBs taken round one could be 4 or 5 even.
All true. Would say I like Mac Jones better than Trask.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Here's what would happen to either of those 2 behind the bear OL

Once again, there is a difference between mobility and pocket presence.

You can survive in the nfl without moblitity, you can't survive without pocket presence.

Nick foles has neither. It is yet to be determined if Jones/Trask have pocket presence.