Trubisky college QB Coach

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can bring up several quotes from ppl. here that talk about all the the things he does well and how he "checks all boxes". As for the" professionals" , they can and have been wrong many times.

They'll latch on to somebody and make 'em seem like the 2nd coming.I've seen a lotta' assessments over a lot of the yrs. and I've seen a lotta' bias.

I would trust professional bias in many cases over a fan-based message board

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I would trust professional bias in many cases over a fan-based message board

they said Warren Moon and Kurt Warner weren't good enuff for the NFL and they didn't get drafted

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
they said Warren Moon and Kurt Warner weren't good enuff for the NFL and they didn't get drafted

so never trust a scout again.....because they missed out on Warren Moon and Kurt Warner......

I don't remember throngs of fans screaming for Kurt Warner to get drafted because he would be the next great QB.....

jeezus

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
so never trust a scout again.....because they missed out on Warren Moon and Kurt Warner......

I don't remember throngs of fans screaming for Kurt Warner to get drafted because he would be the next great QB.....

jeezus

Modo...those are 2 glaring examples , they said over & over Cade McNown was the "most 'pro-ready Qb' ".... I've got lots more like that but you can believe everything they say if you want and I'll use my own judgement

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When I say dead set, I was referring to what you said about Fedora not wanting to risk losing any games in Trubisky's development and sticking instead with his known commodity in Williams.

Fair enough, just wanted to clarify that Williams was in fact on a short leash. He just played well enough not to get benched permanently.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Modo...those are 2 glaring examples , they said over & over Cade McNown was the "most 'pro-ready Qb' ".... I've got lots more like that but you can believe everything they say if you want and I'll use my own judgement

of course there are misses.....and not all scouts agree.

Show me the best NFL scout on the planet and I'll show you plenty of fuck ups......the trick is getting more right than wrong and knowing when to have a strong conviction on a player. And living eating and breathing game film.......and knowing good from bad.

Trusting a fan over a professional scout is like trusting your airliner to a person that has logged plenty of hours on Microsoft flight simulator as opposed to a real plane.....

The absolute ignorance of of some fans to think they could do it better cracks me up.....

Most fans use an already populated draft board to form opinions or take there cue from other scouts work........

I am fairly certain you did not build your draft board from scratch....you looked at the consensus top players and formed your own opinion. That isn't scouting.....that's using other peoples hard work. Other professional scouts that actually logged flight time to go see players and formulate opinions and talk to coaches, family members, and local media.....

Do scouts miss...yes. But they miss based on their work and still know, more often than you, good players from bad.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's not true at all. They stretched the field with Bug Howard. The difference is Hollins was able to outrun more people ad he is 6-4 with 4.5 speed while Howard stretched the field by outjumping people as he's closer to 6-5 with great jump ball skills.

They also adjusted by going to Switzer more which is why his production almost doubled this year and he set the record for receptions at UNC. They worked the underneath more using Switzer and Proehl for their run after the catch ability.

Of course losing Hollins didn't help but by the time he got injured Switzer and Howard had already become UNCs main targets. Hollins was just the occasional deep ball threat.

Hey Remy... I talked to my buddy again. Basically he started with... It's always neat how 2 people can watch the same exact thing and come out with different takes on it.

He reiterated that Hollins was the deep threat that kept teams honest, even if he wasn't getting a ton of throws per game. Just running those deep routes would keep a CB and S occupied. When he went down, teams started playing more single high safety and stacking the box against an already weak run game. Switzer was the beneficiary of the constant WR bubble screens. Bug's tall, but he just didn't have the speed to stretch the field. He said the announcers even talked about how defenses were playing them differently.

Hollins averaged 24.8ypc in 2015 and his career average was a UNC record 20.6ypc. So he definitely was a deep threat target. That being said, since I didn't watch all the games, this is all second hand information to me. Take it how you will...

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Trubisky's quiet demeanor will lead to some questions about his leadership skills, but scouts will also take issue with his inability to unseat Marquise Williams as the Tar Heels' QB1 in 2014 and 2015 despite possessing superior arm talent and passing skills. Sure, Williams was a terrific college quarterback, but a field general who's considered a "lock" as a first-round selection should've been able to beat out a guy who kicked around the league as an undrafted free agent.
- former NFL scout Bucky Brooks

"Call me crazy but I see a little Derek Carr in his game. From the poise, decisiveness and quick delivery to the precision passing and athleticism, he looks like the real deal. ... The inexperience bothers me and I can't stop wondering why he couldn't beat out Marquise Williams (for the starting job in 2014-15)."
-- AFC senior personnel executive

"He has all of the tools. I like his arm talent, arm strength, and athleticism. He is the prototypical quarterback that you draw up. ... I just worry about the one-year wonder deal and the fact that he couldn't beat out Marquise Williams for two years. I don't care what anyone says. If he was (that good), he should've been able to win the starting job. There's something wrong with that!"
-- AFC scout

-------

Again....I'm glad we drafted a qb. Now it's up to him too perform at a high-level.

If he is like Derek Carr, then I am on the bandwagon. Wish I would've watched more college FB this past season. I usually have more of a general idea on these guys.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Bullshit. Kurt Warner would've been garbage if he didn't go to the Arena Football League prior to coming back. That league set him up perfectly for Mike Martz's offense. Secondly, Warren Moon didn't get drafted because he was a black quarterback in the wrong era. Plain and simple. It had nothing to do with talent, everything to do with race.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bullshit. Kurt Warner would've been garbage if he didn't go to the Arena Football League prior to coming back. That league set him up perfectly for Mike Martz's offense. Secondly, Warren Moon didn't get drafted because he was a black quarterback in the wrong era. Plain and simple. It had nothing to do with talent, everything to do with race.

Moon had a couple strikes against......the was a bias against black quarterbacks......

There was also a bias against QBs in general.....take a look at the amount of QBs taken in relation to RBs....completely different era.....

Also the first QB taken was Doug Williams who had a fucking outstanding year at Grambling. Compare him to Warren Moon and they were not the same player....not even close accomplishment-wise......

with good reason Warren Moon wasn't drafted....

Moon redefined himself in the CFL because of its different play style

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Moon had a couple strikes against......the was a bias against black quarterbacks......

There was also a bias against QBs in general.....take a look at the amount of QBs taken in relation to RBs....completely different era.....

Also the first QB taken was Doug Williams who had a fucking outstanding year at Grambling. Compare him to Warren Moon and they were not the same player....not even close accomplishment-wise......

with good reason Warren Moon wasn't drafted....

Moon redefined himself in the CFL because of its different play style

And even then, the only NFL coach that went to scout Williams was Joe Gibbs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hey Remy... I talked to my buddy again. Basically he started with... It's always neat how 2 people can watch the same exact thing and come out with different takes on it.

He reiterated that Hollins was the deep threat that kept teams honest, even if he wasn't getting a ton of throws per game. Just running those deep routes would keep a CB and S occupied. When he went down, teams started playing more single high safety and stacking the box against an already weak run game. Switzer was the beneficiary of the constant WR bubble screens. Bug's tall, but he just didn't have the speed to stretch the field. He said the announcers even talked about how defenses were playing them differently.

Hollins averaged 24.8ypc in 2015 and his career average was a UNC record 20.6ypc. So he definitely was a deep threat target. That being said, since I didn't watch all the games, this is all second hand information to me. Take it how you will...

Hollins went out at Miami. Howard's previous game high prior to Miami was 69 yards. After Hollins went out, Howard had 156 yards against Miami, 109 yards against Virginia, and 120 yards against Georgia Tech. So Howard just became a bigger focal point of the offense so they adjusted fine.

The reason UNC's offense struggled a bit is because teams started game planning more against Switzer to take away Trubisky's favorite weapon. Switzer had like 101 yards against JMU, 208 yards against Pitt and 158 against FSU. Then there was the VT game which I will ignore as it was a hurricane but beginning with the Miami game (last game Hollins played), teams started focusing more on Switzer because he had obviously emerged as UNC's biggest threat. He emerged because his skill set matched perfectly with Trubisky's best trait. Switzer was wasted a bit with Williams because Switzer is a YAC guy and Williams wasn't the most accurate. He excelled under Trubisky because Trubisky could throw to him in stride underneath and he would just rack up the YAC. At one point he was leading all of college football in YAC. So think about how Brady uses Welker or Edelman.

Teams had come into the year worried about UNC's deep ball because of Howard and Hollins. Hollins averaged over 20 YPC but Howard also came into the season having averaged 16.8 the previous year. They were both deep ball threats. The difference was Hollins had more speed so he would typically be capable of getting more YAC after catching a pass while Howard was more of the deep ball guy that would catch the back shoulder pass which doesn't lend itself to a lot of YAC. But Howard was still a deep ball guy. As time progressed and teams got more tape on how Trubiksy ran that offense, they started to realize that Trubisky really loved throwing to Switzer and Proehl and having them rack up the YAC. So they tried to protect against the short stuff more hence why Switzer didn't have another 100 yard game until Stanford.

So it wasn't that UNC didn't adjust after losing Hollins. It was more teams started understanding how Trubisky was attacking them and they tried to take away the underneath stuff with varying degrees of success. However, it's not like the coaching staff could do something to adjust to that because the only deep ball threat they had was Howard and he did in fact increase his production as Trubisky targeted him more after Hollins injury.

Also the run game wasn't weak at all. Hood averaged 5.9 per rush and Logan averaged 5.4. The problem with the run game is that they didn't run enough not that it was weak. They didn't run enough because Trubisky liked to throw. He has the power to run checks at the line and he loved to pass. He was always looking to throw when he scrambled which makes him a better pro prospect while Williams would run in those situations hence why Williams had over 900 yards rushing while Trubisky had around 300 despite Trubisky being just as fast as Williams. So Trubiksy and the coaches just fell in love with his arm and that made UNC less balanced. But 5.9 per rush and 5.4 per rush is not weak at all.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
**YAWN** He was SOOOO GOOOOD they kept him as the bench warmer and water boy for years sitting behind QB's with lesser talent who wasn't even drafted in the NFL

Remy already explained why twice in two threads including this one but I mean, you can keep repeating bullshit if you like. Not like anyone will eat up your narrative anyways.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
**YAWN** He was SOOOO GOOOOD they kept him as the bench warmer and water boy for years sitting behind QB's with lesser talent who wasn't even drafted in the NFL

Jesus draft talent has fuck all to do with winning in college. Marquise Williams was a vet QB that put up great numbers passing and rushing. He threw for over 3,000 yards and rushed for almost 1,000 yards. It doesn't make a single fuck to Fedora whether he is a top NFL prospect. All that matters is that he was great in college and led his team to the ACC Championship with the possibility of making the college playoff if they had won.

In college upper classsmen get the benefit of the doubt over lower classmen no matter how talented. The only time a lower classmen gets the nod particularly with a national title on the line is if the upper classmen fails and Williams never failed bad enough to warrant Trubisky starting over him as a sophmore when Williams is a Senior. Trubisky simply had to wait his turn.

Like during the draft process this is a perfectly fair question to ask. However the draft process is over and NFL teams already got their answer about this and obviously the answer was good enough for them so it's a moot point now.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hollins went out at Miami. Howard's previous game high prior to Miami was 69 yards. After Hollins went out, Howard had 156 yards against Miami, 109 yards against Virginia, and 120 yards against Georgia Tech. So Howard just became a bigger focal point of the offense so they adjusted fine.

The reason UNC's offense struggled a bit is because teams started game planning more against Switzer to take away Trubisky's favorite weapon. Switzer had like 101 yards against JMU, 208 yards against Pitt and 158 against FSU. Then there was the VT game which I will ignore as it was a hurricane but beginning with the Miami game (last game Hollins played), teams started focusing more on Switzer because he had obviously emerged as UNC's biggest threat. He emerged because his skill set matched perfectly with Trubisky's best trait. Switzer was wasted a bit with Williams because Switzer is a YAC guy and Williams wasn't the most accurate. He excelled under Trubisky because Trubisky could throw to him in stride underneath and he would just rack up the YAC. At one point he was leading all of college football in YAC. So think about how Brady uses Welker or Edelman.

Teams had come into the year worried about UNC's deep ball because of Howard and Hollins. Hollins averaged over 20 YPC but Howard also came into the season having averaged 16.8 the previous year. They were both deep ball threats. The difference was Hollins had more speed so he would typically be capable of getting more YAC after catching a pass while Howard was more of the deep ball guy that would catch the back shoulder pass which doesn't lend itself to a lot of YAC. But Howard was still a deep ball guy. As time progressed and teams got more tape on how Trubiksy ran that offense, they started to realize that Trubisky really loved throwing to Switzer and Proehl and having them rack up the YAC. So they tried to protect against the short stuff more hence why Switzer didn't have another 100 yard game until Stanford.

So it wasn't that UNC didn't adjust after losing Hollins. It was more teams started understanding how Trubisky was attacking them and they tried to take away the underneath stuff with varying degrees of success. However, it's not like the coaching staff could do something to adjust to that because the only deep ball threat they had was Howard and he did in fact increase his production as Trubisky targeted him more after Hollins injury.

Also the run game wasn't weak at all. Hood averaged 5.9 per rush and Logan averaged 5.4. The problem with the run game is that they didn't run enough not that it was weak. They didn't run enough because Trubisky liked to throw. He has the power to run checks at the line and he loved to pass. He was always looking to throw when he scrambled which makes him a better pro prospect while Williams would run in those situations hence why Williams had over 900 yards rushing while Trubisky had around 300 despite Trubisky being just as fast as Williams. So Trubiksy and the coaches just fell in love with his arm and that made UNC less balanced. But 5.9 per rush and 5.4 per rush is not weak at all.

Really nice break down man. Thanks.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
of course there are misses.....and not all scouts agree.

Show me the best NFL scout on the planet and I'll show you plenty of fuck ups......the trick is getting more right than wrong and knowing when to have a strong conviction on a player. And living eating and breathing game film.......and knowing good from bad.

Trusting a fan over a professional scout is like trusting your airliner to a person that has logged plenty of hours on Microsoft flight simulator as opposed to a real plane.....

The absolute ignorance of of some fans to think they could do it better cracks me up.....

Most fans use an already populated draft board to form opinions or take there cue from other scouts work........

I am fairly certain you did not build your draft board from scratch....you looked at the consensus top players and formed your own opinion. That isn't scouting.....that's using other peoples hard work. Other professional scouts that actually logged flight time to go see players and formulate opinions and talk to coaches, family members, and local media.....

Do scouts miss...yes. But they miss based on their work and still know, more often than you, good players from bad.

LOL...stop it...u know this is super extreme.

-------

I do my own research on certain players ( watch games etc).According to the "professionals" Qb's like Doug Flutie, Michael Vick, R.Wilson and Drew Brees aren't suppose to make it in the NFL cuz of their height ( they were wrong, yet they continue to use this bias criteria. Ya can't measure whats in a guys heart), that's just 1 bias there are several others.

Again, you have a right to your view, but don't assume everyone here has the same experience, as some might have football exp.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:

Your yawn and ALL CAPS have convinced me: Trubisky is a bum. Well done sir!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will have to wait and see what Trouble makes of himself. Character means something at that position.

As for Glennon, I would really prefer if we gave him his own nickname since he is Chicagoan now.

I'm partial to Sloth Giraffe Monkey Baby.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

You said it....so I guess we have to go with it. Lets hope that thinking is 100% gone.