Unpopular Opinion: Dalton will be fine at starting quarterback

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Let me get this out of the way first:

• I am not saying Andy Dalton will be great.
  • I am not saying Andy Dalton is a franchise quarterback.
  • I don't have any overwhelming love for Andy Dalton nor any predisposition to defending him.
  • My unpopular opinion could be completely wrong, and if it is, my ire will not be at Andy Dalton, but at the Bears for signing him
I am just taking in the things I am reading about what Dalton does well and what he does not do well, and thinking of it within the context of the Chicago Bears offense.

He does well with what you give him but if you don't have enough around him he will look bad, is what the rap going right now is. He will deliver the ball to where it is supposed to go but if a play breaks down, that's where he gets into trouble as he struggles with creating. Also, give him a decent line and he does well, but if you're line is shit, having all the offensive weapons in the world will not bail you out with him as quarterback. That is what happened in Dallas last year - Dallas has more weapons but they had no offensive line.

Here is where I see the potential. Not astronomical potential so get your pre thought arguments out of your head....Just talking potential to field a competent team on offense.

I know we give the offensive line a lot of shit, but it really solidified in the last four games of last season on the interior. Whitehair looked like his pro Bowl form at left guard, Mustapher solidified the line by being someone who could correctly identify the line calls to make and communicate it to the rest of the line which is a tool no one else on the line had, and although he was hurt last year James Daniels plays a really good Right Guard. Ifedi looked okay at right tackle (no better or worse than Bobby Massie). The one place that needs a clear upgrade is left tackle, but even Leno is just slightly average in a worst case scenario.

If the Bears upgrade the left tackle position in the draft and it works out, Dalton will have a decent line to play behind which eliminates one of the concerns.

The other concern, about his inability to create, actually can be mitigated by the Chicago Bears very offense that Mitch couldn't run.

I know the Bears offense, which hasn't worked so far, gets a lot of crap, but people need to understand what it is intended to do and why it was failing.

When run correctly, the Bears offense schemes its receivers open and always leaves a spot where a receiver or te or rb can spring free. In order to do this though, you need a quarterback who can read what's going on, get through his progressions quickly, and diagnose who will end up being open on that play. It is very much a read and react. "If I see A, I throw to B. If a and b are covered, C will be open."

In other words, as long as you can read the field quickly, you don't need to create as you will know exactly where to go with the ball.

The reason it didn't work was twofold:

1) our offensive line was bad and that was in part because Cody whitehair kept getting the line calls wrong, which led to blockers blocking the wrong guy.

2) Mitch read the field way too damn slow. The issue with trubisky was that he could not make it through all of his progressions even when protection held up. He would then Force things which ended up screwing things up. This besides the constant overthrows. It is also why he was more successful when they cut the field in half for him - half the reeds gave him enough time mentally to figure out what to do. His brain just couldn't keep up with the full scheme.

So where does that leave us with Dalton?

everything I've read and heard is that he is extremely bright and does read the field quickly. He's not Mitch.

As long as he plays within the offense, I have a feeling he's going to look pretty good. Not amazing, but efficient.

The best comp I have to this, is I want you to consider Alex Smith and his reputation when he went from the 49ers to the Chiefs.

He was considered a noodle armed bust when he was shipped off.

His career had a resurgence with the Chiefs in a similar system.

Now Smith had more scramble ability than Dalton ever did, but that scrambling ability wasn't the reason he was so successful with the Chiefs. It's because mentally he is a similar type of quarterback who struggles to create but when put in an offense that tells you where the ball is supposed to go every single time and you simply have to pick from which of those spots you're throwing the ball to, it allowed him to excel.

If you can read the field quickly, the Bears offense becomes very quarterback friendly. If you are slow and dumb as a box of rocks, the scheme fails and everything falls apart.

Even saying all that, I'm not 100% convinced that Dalton will be the starting quarterback on day one. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears at least tried to get somebody else even after the draft or even after June 1st.

But if it does end up being Dalton, just remember it may not be the end of the world, especially if the Bears managed to upgrade that left tackle position...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
We have heard he is a stand up guy, and that he is fairly smart, but his last 4 years have been pretty bad, and the Bears are not exactly a stacked offense that he can sit behind and manage.....

I do wonder if Trubisky is the reason that the O-line looked improved towards the end of the year?

All that said, I hope you are right and AD makes me eat some crow..... Gotta root for a Bears team no matter what....

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Still not convinced he's our starter but I agree the sky isn't falling.

We could make the playoffs again next year if Pace works some magic in the mid rounds

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
That's an awfully long time to say "I think he'll be like what Alex Smith was going from the 49ers to the Chiefs and that's fine."

Also, Charles Leno is not "slightly average" in any scenario. When the passing game revolved around Mitch having to roll away from him because has some of the worst technique, footwork, and hand placement when pass blocking/engaging defenders so he has to resort to pushing the rusher to the outside to take a wider angle to the QB--you have trash at LT who doesn't break the bank so he has a roster spot.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Still not convinced he's our starter but I agree the sky isn't falling.

We could make the playoffs again next year if Pace works some magic in the mid rounds

Don't forget that now there are eight spots per conference as well..

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That's an awfully long time to say "I think he'll be like what Alex Smith was going from the 49ers to the Chiefs and that's fine."

Also, Charles Leno is not "slightly average" in any scenario. When the passing game revolved around Mitch having to roll away from him because has some of the worst technique, footwork, and hand placement when pass blocking/engaging defenders so he has to resort to pushing the rusher to the outside to take a wider angle to the QB--you have trash at LT who doesn't break the bank so he has a roster spot.

People who don't think Leno is slightly above average are the people who are completely unaware of left tackle play in the entire league.

At least half the league at left tackle is not as good as Charles Leno Jr. And I don't think Charles Leno Jr is great. There is a lack of talent at that position in the league right now, and because of it, there's a lot more worse than him than better than him in the league.

That is not meant as a ringing endorsement.

More or less I'm simply saying he's the tallest midget.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Overall quality post!

I might hesitate on the Smith -Dalton comparison though because I think Smith is not actually a very cerebral player, more read and react. But that’s just my take.

The crazy thing though is that to keep their jobs, Pace and Nagy will be relying on Dalton to something he’s never done before— win a playoff game.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Don't forget that now there are eight spots per conference as well..
Seven. Bears are, as presently constructed, probably around the twelfth best team in the NFC. Insofar as something like that can really be determined at this point in the season.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They need to make these shirts for bears fans

3DE4B914-1B06-4DD1-9AE9-16B660C148D4.jpeg

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Let me get this out of the way first:

• I am not saying Andy Dalton will be great.
  • I am not saying Andy Dalton is a franchise quarterback.
  • I don't have any overwhelming love for Andy Dalton nor any predisposition to defending him.
  • My unpopular opinion could be completely wrong, and if it is, my ire will not be at Andy Dalton, but at the Bears for signing him
I am just taking in the things I am reading about what Dalton does well and what he does not do well, and thinking of it within the context of the Chicago Bears offense.

He does well with what you give him but if you don't have enough around him he will look bad, is what the rap going right now is. He will deliver the ball to where it is supposed to go but if a play breaks down, that's where he gets into trouble as he struggles with creating. Also, give him a decent line and he does well, but if you're line is shit, having all the offensive weapons in the world will not bail you out with him as quarterback. That is what happened in Dallas last year - Dallas has more weapons but they had no offensive line.

Here is where I see the potential. Not astronomical potential so get your pre thought arguments out of your head....Just talking potential to field a competent team on offense.

I know we give the offensive line a lot of shit, but it really solidified in the last four games of last season on the interior. Whitehair looked like his pro Bowl form at left guard, Mustapher solidified the line by being someone who could correctly identify the line calls to make and communicate it to the rest of the line which is a tool no one else on the line had, and although he was hurt last year James Daniels plays a really good Right Guard. Ifedi looked okay at right tackle (no better or worse than Bobby Massie). The one place that needs a clear upgrade is left tackle, but even Leno is just slightly average in a worst case scenario.

If the Bears upgrade the left tackle position in the draft and it works out, Dalton will have a decent line to play behind which eliminates one of the concerns.

The other concern, about his inability to create, actually can be mitigated by the Chicago Bears very offense that Mitch couldn't run.

I know the Bears offense, which hasn't worked so far, gets a lot of crap, but people need to understand what it is intended to do and why it was failing.

When run correctly, the Bears offense schemes its receivers open and always leaves a spot where a receiver or te or rb can spring free. In order to do this though, you need a quarterback who can read what's going on, get through his progressions quickly, and diagnose who will end up being open on that play. It is very much a read and react. "If I see A, I throw to B. If a and b are covered, C will be open."

In other words, as long as you can read the field quickly, you don't need to create as you will know exactly where to go with the ball.

The reason it didn't work was twofold:

1) our offensive line was bad and that was in part because Cody whitehair kept getting the line calls wrong, which led to blockers blocking the wrong guy.

2) Mitch read the field way too damn slow. The issue with trubisky was that he could not make it through all of his progressions even when protection held up. He would then Force things which ended up screwing things up. This besides the constant overthrows. It is also why he was more successful when they cut the field in half for him - half the reeds gave him enough time mentally to figure out what to do. His brain just couldn't keep up with the full scheme.

So where does that leave us with Dalton?

everything I've read and heard is that he is extremely bright and does read the field quickly. He's not Mitch.

As long as he plays within the offense, I have a feeling he's going to look pretty good. Not amazing, but efficient.

The best comp I have to this, is I want you to consider Alex Smith and his reputation when he went from the 49ers to the Chiefs.

He was considered a noodle armed bust when he was shipped off.

His career had a resurgence with the Chiefs in a similar system.

Now Smith had more scramble ability than Dalton ever did, but that scrambling ability wasn't the reason he was so successful with the Chiefs. It's because mentally he is a similar type of quarterback who struggles to create but when put in an offense that tells you where the ball is supposed to go every single time and you simply have to pick from which of those spots you're throwing the ball to, it allowed him to excel.

If you can read the field quickly, the Bears offense becomes very quarterback friendly. If you are slow and dumb as a box of rocks, the scheme fails and everything falls apart.

Even saying all that, I'm not 100% convinced that Dalton will be the starting quarterback on day one. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears at least tried to get somebody else even after the draft or even after June 1st.

But if it does end up being Dalton, just remember it may not be the end of the world, especially if the Bears managed to upgrade that left tackle position...
All of this is very reasonable. Only a complete jagoff would find fault with what you post here.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think Dalton will be fine but this fan base and this city is desperate for more than that, especially coming off another failed high 1st round draft pick in a long line of them. It didn't help that the media was hyping up the Bears going all in for Wilson,and they did, but the Seahawks were never going to trade him.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Seven. Bears are, as presently constructed, probably around the twelfth best team in the NFC. Insofar as something like that can really be determined at this point in the season.

My understanding was that it was expand d to 7 in 2020, and then goes to 8 in 2021. That's what the report I read had said before the 2020 draft...

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I actually agree, Andy Dalton will play pretty well all things considered. Then he'll get hurt and it'll be all over before you know it. Bears offensive tackles are literally the worst in the NFL, its a one-way ticket to quarterback injury.
the bears tackles aren't the worst in the NFL though.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Overall quality post!

I might hesitate on the Smith -Dalton comparison though because I think Smith is not actually a very cerebral player, more read and react. But that’s just my take.

The crazy thing though is that to keep their jobs, Pace and Nagy will be relying on Dalton to something he’s never done before— win a playoff game.

True, but because of the system, he won't have to feel like he has to be superman to do it for the first time in his career.

greg23

Liked Posts:
people forget that the last 2 years in SF, alex smith led them to the nfc title game/home field and was having an even better year the next season when they were in line for a 1-2 seed when he got hurt and replaced by kapernick......and they went to the super bowl anyway.

andy dalton was never at that level, and if you think he was, it was a long time ago......and he was never as athletic

his better comp recent best case scenario comp is.......washington redskin alex smith....and even then, alex had more athletic ability......lots of short, quick checkdown passes........he'll need a line, a running game, wr who can win immediately, te and an oc/hc who plays to his strength.....

basically, im not holding my breath for any great qb play.

who around here would laugh if team X, (say sf or car) thought they were close, said they were all in for next year, then signed andy dalton as their starter?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Dalton will be fine but this fan base and this city is desperate for more than that, especially coming off another failed high 1st round draft pick in a long line of them. It didn't help that the media was hyping up the Bears going all in for Wilson,and they did, but the Seahawks were never going to trade him.

The importance of Dalton for Nagy can't be understated. Dalton doesn't have to be perfect. He just has to be able to prove Nagy's system works, as long as you have the right guy running it...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Look
people forget that the last 2 years in SF, alex smith led them to the nfc title game/home field and was having an even better year the next season when they were in line for a 1-2 seed when he got hurt and replaced by kapernick......and they went to the super bowl anyway.

andy dalton was never at that level, and if you think he was, it was a long time ago......and he was never as athletic

his better comp recent best case scenario comp is.......washington redskin alex smith....and even then, alex had more athletic ability......lots of short, quick checkdown passes........he'll need a line, a running game, wr who can win immediately, te and an oc/hc who plays to his strength.....

basically, im not holding my breath for any great qb play.

who around here would laugh if team X, (say sf or car) thought they were close, said they were all in for next year, then signed andy dalton as their starter?
, I get you want to dunk on Dalton to shit on the Bears... I get it.

But sometimes things have a funny way of working out. Like Jimmy Graham last year.

Just saying, what else can we do but be patient and see?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The importance of Dalton for Nagy can't be understated. Dalton doesn't have to be perfect. He just has to be able to prove Nagy's system works, as long as you have the right guy running it...
But are we going back to his system? The offense only started to seem functional last year when Lazor started calling plays and went away from Nagy's west coast offense. With Montgomery as a workhorse and (presumably) an upgraded offensive line, we'd be crazy to try to go back to what wasn't working.