Unpopular Opinion: Dalton will be fine at starting quarterback

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They ain’t running Nagy’s system with Dalton.

I guess we will see. As evidenced in this thread I think most Bears fans don't even know what Nagy's system even is or how it's supposed to work.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
No one thinks Dalton is the solution, including the Bears (1 year deal). What he can be is somebody good enough to prove that Nagy's system works, and they just need to find the QB that can run it perfectly.
What does this mean, it looks like meaningless word salad? So in your world Dalton is able to "prove that Nagy's system works" but doesn't win the job for '22/Bears still look for another QB anyway? What does that even look like? Nagy's "system" got the Bears to 12 wins and a home playoff game, and there are still a million questions on his ability as a coach. What is Dalton going to do in a single season that "proves" the system?

I think Andy Dalton on the Bears is somebody good enough to win 8-9 games while suffering from questionable playcalling by the HC at times, inconsistent skill players outside of 1-2 guys, and a running game that disappears against above average defenses. Which is unfortunately also what they had in the last 2 QBs. and was rightfully deemed not good enough.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What does this mean, it looks like meaningless word salad? So in your world Dalton is able to "prove that Nagy's system works" but doesn't win the job for '22/Bears still look for another QB anyway? What does that even look like? Nagy's "system" got the Bears to 12 wins and a home playoff game, and there are still a million questions on his ability as a coach. What is Dalton going to do in a single season that "proves" the system?

I think Andy Dalton on the Bears is somebody good enough to win 8-9 games while suffering from questionable playcalling by the HC at times, inconsistent skill players outside of 1-2 guys, and a running game that disappears against above average defenses. Which is unfortunately also what they had in the last 2 QBs. and was rightfully deemed not good enough.

Let me spell it out for your stupid ass:

Dalton is consistent but does have his limitations. He will be consistent enough in the way Matt Nagy always envisioned this offense to run that it will prove the offense works and that having a competent quarterback will move the ball and score points.

However, being an older quarterback and having said limitations will still invite competition and the search for someone who can be better.

It's not even that fucking hard. look at Alex Smith in Kansas City and then they still drafted Mahomes.

How's that for word salad?

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
I think Dalton bombs badly as he hasn't really played good football in 5+ years and even then he had established run first teams to lean on something we dont have . The fact that that he took over an offense that was averaging 32 ppg with Zeke Amari, Lamb and ended up averaging barely 21 ppg does not bode well for his time in Chicago . The last time he played good football John Fox was still our coach so its been quite a while .

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm still trying to figure out....what the heck is " Nagy's system ". What We do know, is it can barely score 14 points a game.
I actually explained what it is in the original post.

I saw what u said. And it doesn't get wr's open. The routes are slow developing which is horrible for a weak pass pro OL.
Nagy hasn't tailored it to fit the talent ( Mitch shoulda' been used in more "sprint-outs", given his mobility.)

Here's were I'm going. It's not a WCO ( which is quick read and deliver the ball,) it's not a true spread, I don't see option routes like in the Run and Shoot offense, it's not "up tempo", it's not a Coryell offense ( nor Mike Martz, ), it's not a pro set nor I-formation, it's not a run oriented offense.

So bottom line, it's more of an offense with no real philosophy and doesn't score points. Oh....and I rarely see deployment of a "hot read".

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Let me spell it out for your stupid ass:

Dalton is consistent but does have his limitations. He will be consistent enough in the way Matt Nagy always envisioned this offense to run that it will prove the offense works and that having a competent quarterback will move the ball and score points.

However, being an older quarterback and having said limitations will still invite competition and the search for someone who can be better.

It's not even that fucking hard. look at Alex Smith in Kansas City and then they still drafted Mahomes.

How's that for word salad?
You think Nagy's system is "schemes receivers open" you can't call anyone stupid, clueless motherfucker.

What do you think the results of Andy's improved "moving the ball and score points" will be, because im betting the difference between him and the last 2 QBs isn't enough to change the teams final result.

KC already had Smith on the roster for 4 years when they decided he wasn't good enough and moved up for Mahomes, they didn't go out and get him and then move on the very next season. Not really an equivalent situation, but I can see from your other posts that you're kind of a moron, so i understand you just looked for the first example of a team with old QB getting a younger one and hoped it work.

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I saw what u said. And it doesn't get wr's open. The routes are slow developing which horrible for a weak pass pro OL.

Here's were I'm going. It's not a WCO ( which is quick read and deliver the ball,) it's not a true spread, I don't see option routes like in the Run and Shoot offense, it's not a Coryell offense ( nor Mike Martz, ), it's not a pro set nor I-formation, it's not a run oriented offense. So bottom line, it's more of an offense with no real philosophy and doesn't score points. Oh....and I rarely see deployment of a "hot read".

Yeah "receivers run routes that force the defense to cover them or leave other receivers open" isn't an offense system, thats just the concept of route combinations.:ROFLMAO:

Ive seen Nagy's system described as "Short and Shot" with WC short passing, RPOs, and inside zone run forcing defenses to play up, then using deep shots to punish defense when they move up or aggresively cover the short stuff. Bears had issues finding success when they had a QB who cant reliably hit the deep shot/find the open man in time to punish the defense playing up, or when you have protection issues where the QB never has time to hit the deep shot in the first place.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I saw what u said. And it doesn't get wr's open. The routes are slow developing which is horrible for a weak pass pro OL.
Nagy hasn't tailored it to fit the talent ( Mitch shoulda' been used in more "sprint-outs", given his mobility.)

Here's were I'm going. It's not a WCO ( which is quick read and deliver the ball,) it's not a true spread, I don't see option routes like in the Run and Shoot offense, it's not "up tempo", it's not a Coryell offense ( nor Mike Martz, ), it's not a pro set nor I-formation, it's not a run oriented offense.

So bottom line, it's more of an offense with no real philosophy and doesn't score points. Oh....and I rarely see deployment of a "hot read".

Yeah "receivers run routes that force the defense to cover them or leave other receivers open" isn't an offense system, thats just the concept of route combinations.:ROFLMAO:

Ive seen Nagy's system described as "Short and Shot" with WC short passing, RPOs, and inside zone run forcing defenses to play up, then using deep shots to punish defense when they move up or aggresively cover the short stuff. Bears had issues finding success when they had a QB who cant reliably hit the deep shot/find the open man in time to punish the defense playing up, or when you have protection issues where the QB never has time to hit the deep shot in the first place.

So good points. (y)

I'll say this.....I don't think Nagy has a clue as to what type of offense he's running. In a WCO ya have a lotta quick outs, short curls, mesh, drags and SLANTS. I emphasize slants cuz that was a key component of the WCO in getting wr's open. It's a 1-2-3 step- deliver the ball. I never saw Nagy really using those concepts. It woulda' really helped the OL. Foles nor Bray are a RPO Qb's ( there's no run threat). There's so much Nagy didn't do to fit the personnel. It's so frustrating.:mad:

Oh....and another problem was Nagy's ill-advised "trick plays". A lotta times they didn't work. Hence, forcing the offense to have too make up for the lost yardage. Which put 'em in a 3& out situations.

IMO had Nagy really developed a true short passing game and under-center run game.....then all the other things we mentioned would've had a better chance of working. I just don't think Nagy was ready to be a HC nor effective play-caller.
But that's a story for another time. :)