Velus Jones Jr

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Brandon Marshall had less than 500 yards total in his first three years playing for Central Florida.

Hines Ward has 1000 yards total in his four year college career.

Chad Johnson only played one year of DI football (JUCO before) and had similar stats to Velus Jones.

Travis Kelce, 875 yards total in college career.

This is from a few minutes of research, and all these guys are HOF or close. There are many more successful players who did not have strong college stats or developed later or were in the wrong system. Not to say Jones will be good, chances are he won't really be as is the case with all players drafted in the third. But stats don't tell even close to the whole story of a prospect.

People loved Pickens and Watson. How were their college stats?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Brandon Marshall had less than 500 yards total in his first three years playing for Central Florida.

Hines Ward has 1000 yards total in his four year college career.

Chad Johnson only played one year of DI football (JUCO before) and had similar stats to Velus Jones.

Travis Kelce, 875 yards total in college career.

This is from a few minutes of research, and all these guys are HOF or close. There are many more successful players who did not have strong college stats or developed later or were in the wrong system. Not to say Jones will be good, chances are he won't really be as is the case with all players drafted in the third. But stats don't tell even close to the whole story of a prospect.

People loved Pickens and Watson. How were their college stats?

It is obvious the issue is not really his stats. It is that he was not mocked a lot that early so people's minds are made up that he was a reach.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Eric DeCosta on the wide receiver class:

"It wasn't for a lack of effort," DeCosta said, via USA Today's Ravens Wire site. "I think, honestly, the fact that there was a run of receivers in the first round like there was ... I wouldn't say it was a great receiver class in general, compared to some of the years. There were very good players at the top.
"So, for us, it was a good draft, and there were really good players at other positions. There were some receivers that we liked; we tried to take a couple guys at different points. But, again, one of the (phenomena) that we've seen is that those receivers get picked really, really early now. Similar to corner, they just fly off the board -- in some cases, maybe a round to a round and a half earlier than you'd expect.
Saying this since beginning of offseason these wrs in the draft(and fa) were easy to pass on. Everyone overrated them based on their thirst level which I don’t blame them with our current stable of meh. I was cringing at the thought trading into the first for a number 2/3 wr like some were suggesting

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Saying this since beginning of offseason these wrs in the draft(and fa) were easy to pass on. Everyone overrated them based on their thirst level which I don’t blame them with our current stable of meh. I was cringing at the thought trading into the first for a number 2/3 wr like some were suggesting
Yep. Obviously the Ravens are a well run team, need a WR, had a ton of high picks….. and they passed on a lot of these guys numerous times.

Of course the flip side of that is Pickens ended up a Steeler and they know how to draft WRs. We shall see who’s right in a few years.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yep. Obviously the Ravens are a well run team, need a WR, had a ton of high picks….. and they passed on a lot of these guys numerous times.

Of course the flip side of that is Pickens ended up a Steeler and they know how to draft WRs. We shall see who’s right in a few years.
The Ravens don't value WRs the same way the Steelers do.

Screenshot 2021-12-17 090650.jpg

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It can't be overstated enough (every single day) that Velus Jones was in college 6 years, transferred schools before he had significant production (as a receiver), and is an older prospect.

So once again (today), let me express (with all sincerity) that Velus Jones was in college 6 YEARS and he TRANSFERRED SCHOOLS and (gasp) he DIDN'T PRODUCE until his last year and and and HE IS OLD.

I think we all get the criticism.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
It can't be overstated enough (every single day) that Velus Jones was in college 6 years, transferred schools before he had significant production (as a receiver), and is an older prospect.

So once again (today), let me express (with all sincerity) that Velus Jones was in college 6 YEARS and he TRANSFERRED SCHOOLS and (gasp) he DIDN'T PRODUCE until his last year and and and HE IS OLD.

I’m still not getting it. Can you please explain again but go slower and use more CAPS?

Bust

Liked Posts:

heh, comes down to QB play. Even Davante Adams couldn't save Jordan Love throwing him the ball, lol

Love got significant snaps at 1/9 vs Lions and 11/7 vs Chiefs. Adams vs lions 6catches 55yds. Adams vs chiefs, 6catches for 42yds heh

Love got lots of snaps in that Chiefs game, targetted Adams 14 times and only came away with 6 grabs, rofl

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

I heard that Velus spends his friday nights down at the retirement center playing bingo.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
At this time in 2020 who here thought Mooney would hit the ground running? Jones appears to be a better prospect than Mooney.

napo55

Liked Posts:

And the Chiefs drafted Skyy Moore 6 picks after the Bears drafted their second DB in the second round. Kind of think KC also knows how to draft WRs. Hope I'm dead wrong and Jones is great, but I wanted Moore all the way.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
And the Chiefs drafted Skyy Moore 6 picks after the Bears drafted their second DB in the second round. Kind of think KC also knows how to draft WRs. Hope I'm dead wrong and Jones is great, but I wanted Moore all the way.
It’s more Brisker vs Moore though since Brisker was taken before Moore. But yes, your point is valid.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Do they? They drafted Hill but which other WRs are you claiming proves they know how to draft WRs? Hardman has been somewhat of a bust. One successful guy doesnt really prove anything.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Some pre-draft analysis of VJJ with clips breaking down his routes:

“There are some prospects who rise their stock throughout the draft process; Velus Jones Jr is one of those guys. After six seasons in college football, Jones was projected to be only a fourth or fifth round pick in this years’ NFL draft. It all began at the Reese’s Senior Bowl, then he backed it up at the NFL Combine. Now being mocked to go in the second or third round.”

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Do they? They drafted Hill but which other WRs are you claiming proves they know how to draft WRs? Hardman has been somewhat of a bust. One successful guy doesnt really prove anything.
And Hill was a 5th round pick.