Video Game Thread

supraman

Liked Posts:
[quote name="whalerhawk"]Has anyone played Split Second? I was a huge Burnout 3 fan and Burnout Revenge for that matter as well, but I didn't like the open world aspect of Burnout Paradise. Early reviews say that Split Second is like an updated version of the early Burnouts, which makes it a must buy for me, but I'm looking for some honest user feedback first before I rush in.[/quote]

Hmm I'd be interested in this as well, burnout was a blast playing against my brother. Paradise, yeah that was dumb.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="whalerhawk"]Has anyone played Split Second? I was a huge Burnout 3 fan and Burnout Revenge for that matter as well, but I didn't like the open world aspect of Burnout Paradise. Early reviews say that Split Second is like an updated version of the early Burnouts, which makes it a must buy for me, but I'm looking for some honest user feedback first before I rush in.[/quote]local sister paper of the Trib, Redeye, gave it a pretty favorable review. Couldn't believe such a cool game could come from Disney. Said it's definitely not geared for folks who like the more realistic controls of other driving games, but mentioned if one enjoyed Burnout, one would probably like this, too.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Anyone able to explain components to me a little better for FFXIII. I know how to use them, but is there a rhyme or reason? or any tricks? Should I save certain kinds for certain weapons, should I put as many as possible of the same kind on the same weapon, or one of everything on a single weapon. Should I bother upgrading accessories? Seems like I'll be changing accessories a bunch throughout the game, seems like it might be a waste. I know you can detact them or whatever, but it didn't seem to give me the full value back.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
E3 starts Tuesday. We'll have a good look at most of the games in the pipeline. Lots of videos already leaked out.

Killzone 3 trailer looks sweet.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="phranchk"]E3 starts Tuesday. We'll have a good look at most of the games in the pipeline. Lots of videos already leaked out.

Killzone 3 trailer looks sweet.[/quote]

Don't you mean "Kinect"? :)

phranchk

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Ymono37"]

Don't you mean "Kinect"? :)[/quote]

I don't really get what the big deal about the Kinect is. It's a slightly more advanced version of the PS3 Eye Toy.

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shogun 2:Total war is being announced at E3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlMkME4b ... re=related

If you like games like civilization and also like real time strategy, Total war games are like a hybrid. Empire building managing cities etc. All take place on a turn based strategy map, when you move an army into battle though, it takes place in a real time environment, where you command your army on the field of battle (rather large armies I might add, its not un common in previous games to have 6000 soldiers participating in a battle).

gameplay example from Rome : Total War (Roma Surrectum 2 mod) released in 2004:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wISXDn8q ... r_embedded

and an example from napoleon total war (2010)so you can see how graphics have improved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLbUGQH ... re=related

phranchk

Liked Posts:
The original Shogun game for PC back in the day was awesome. Has to be about 14 or 15 years old. I hope this new one is as good (relatively speaking).

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
G4 has had some really good coverage today.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm seeing this Kinect shit everywhere today, what the hell is it? Project Nadal? is it like Wii but with a camera for movement?

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]I'm seeing this Kinect shit everywhere today, what the hell is it? Project Nadal? is it like Wii but with a camera for movement?[/quote]From what I understand this the the rename.

Most folks I've heard from don't sound too impressed (although Felicia Day said the light-saber battles were pretty fun)... I don't own a 360 anyway, so it wouldn't do me any good anyway.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Ymono37"]From what I understand this the the rename.

Most folks I've heard from don't sound too impressed (although Felicia Day said the light-saber battles were pretty fun)... I don't own a 360 anyway, so it wouldn't do me any good anyway.[/quote]

What he said.

Project Nadal is now Microsoft Kinect. Some of the stuff looks entertaining. They've done a tremendous job of hyping the shit out of it. Too me, it looks like a little more advanced eye toy. It does have some cool features, such as face and voice recognition.

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is red dead redemption worth a purchase? I liked GTA 4 and felt it was worth it so if its at least that good it'll be worth it.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm looking for a (RPG type) game to guy that is as inexpensive as possible but totally rules and will take over my life final fantasy style or NHL career style. I have a Wii that I've borrowed from my friend or could go the computer route but don't want to have to buy a controller. I and not big on first person shooters, and don't want to play online against others really because they will just destroy me and call me noob or something. I'm unemployed so, cheap is good.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]I'm looking for a (RPG type) game to guy that is as inexpensive as possible but totally rules and will take over my life final fantasy style or NHL career style. I have a Wii that I've borrowed from my friend or could go the computer route but don't want to have to buy a controller. I and not big on first person shooters, and don't want to play online against others really because they will just destroy me and call me noob or something. I'm unemployed so, cheap is good.[/quote]

I thought you also had a PS3?

Oblivion is a good one for PC and PS3.

Zelda - Twilight Princess for Wii is damn good too.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="phranchk"]

I thought you also had a PS3?

Oblivion is a good one for PC and PS3.

Zelda - Twilight Princess for Wii is damn good too.[/quote]

I've been playing PS3 over at his place, since he has both he is letting me borrow the Wii becuase he's alway sout of town, at least till he finishes FF XIII.

Oblivion eh? Sounds familiar, what is it like?

Already beat Twilight Princess back when it came out and he bought it. I lived with him then.

I'm borrowing a PSP as well and just borrowed FF for PSP from him. I'm hoping that will hold me over some.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="TSD"]Is red dead redemption worth a purchase? I liked GTA 4 and felt it was worth it so if its at least that good it'll be worth it.[/quote]If you're a fan of the GTA games, this is an easy recommendation.

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]

I've been playing PS3 over at his place, since he has both he is letting me borrow the Wii becuase he's alway sout of town, at least till he finishes FF XIII.

Oblivion eh? Sounds familiar, what is it like?

Already beat Twilight Princess back when it came out and he bought it. I lived with him then.

I'm borrowing a PSP as well and just borrowed FF for PSP from him. I'm hoping that will hold me over some.[/quote]

I'll put another kudo to Oblivion. Its better on PC, because there are a ridiculous amount of mods, but the vanilla version is still great.

Basically its an action RPG (Like zelda) with an open ended free roaming world. So you can approach the game how ever you want, you can start the main quest lines, or ignore them explore and do side quests. There is alot of cool stuff to do for the various guilds in the game (the most fun questline, is the assasins guild thats not the name specifically but thats what they do). You could log ALOT of hours on it, all of the DLC/addons are pretty good as well, Shivering Isles specifically.

You can pick your race, design your characters build and face, define your class etc etc. You start out as some poor shmuck in a prison cell for god knows what and end up getting dragged into the storyline. You can own houses, to store your gear in. Kinda has a medieval grandtheft autoish feature, i.e. if you kill some civilian or something the town guards come after you. and you can fight or evade them. You can go anywhere do just about anything, you can become a vampire and you cant go out in the day, and have to break into peoples houses and feed on them in their sleep. I had a mod, that also turned you into a werewolf. You can break into peoples houses and steal. They have a bunch of fully featured towns, all the houses are acessable etc etc. So you can essentially choose to be kind of a bad guy or a nice guy.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
This game looks like some old school fun.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAY4vNJd7A8[/youtube]