My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Wants to un-retire.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Why would he come here when he's likely to be fired in a year?

Would players buy in to a whole new situation with new coaches when they know it's probably a one-year proposition? Or would they be looking ahead to 2022 and getting out of Chicago?

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Would players buy in to a whole new situation with new coaches when they know it's probably a one-year proposition? Or would they be looking ahead to 2022 and getting out of Chicago?
If he can use it to audition for a better job or if he has it running great...Im sure they will hold him over, if he has it running top 5

Last edited:

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Phillips is old. Job security isn't an issue and it isn't like a team is gonna poach him to be a HC

He'd be a stop gap for 2 or 3 years

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If he can use it to audition for a better job or if he has it running great...Im sure they will hold him over, if he has it running top 5

That is true. If the Bears' defense rebounds in 2021 and is a top 10 unit, I doubt anyone will blame the DC if everyone gets canned.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He got fired from the Rams in 19 after they were #17 ranked D. In 2020 they are the #1 ranked D. Is he worth it or just reputation now?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He got fired from the Rams in 19 after they were #17 ranked D. In 2020 they are the #1 ranked D. Is he worth it or just reputation now?
He wasn't fired, they didn't renew his contract. Him and McVay had a different philosophies. It was a mutual split.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I think the Bears position in unattractive for the reason you mention. But this is a guy who has coached everywhere and may not be interested in a long=term gig since he retired already. And if he wanted to caoch in the future, he has enough name recognition and reputation that the bears' gig wont faze him.

If a more secure position was offered, he'd likely take it. But maybe we get the perfect storm - a guy old enough to scare off coaches who want someone long-term, so he'd take a possible one year spot.

We can dream.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He doesn't need a reputation lol he's coached in two super bowls winning one of them. He's from the Buddy Ryan coaching tree, for those of you that are into that. Todd Bowles, Tony Sparano, Jason Garett and Jim Fassel are coaches he developed. 40 years in the NFL. Not very good as a head coach, but admirable 82-69 - I think he's better coordinator than coach but you know, shit goes south next year he could step in as interim.

I'm a total Wade homer, love the guy.

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
That is CLEARLY because they added NardFlo. Duh.
I wish the bears had a dominant pass rusher like that. He would easily make the bears a top 5 D.
He doesn't need a reputation lol he's coached in two super bowls winning one of them. He's from the Buddy Ryan coaching tree, for those of you that are into that. Todd Bowles, Tony Sparano, Jason Garett and Jim Fassel are coaches he developed. 40 years in the NFL. Not very good as a head coach, but admirable 82-69 - I think he's better coordinator than coach but you know, shit goes south next year he could step in as interim.

I'm a total Wade homer, love the guy.
Well he did tweet let's win not let's be you.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Phillips is more than proven in the NFL. He has a history of improving defenses and coaching top units. Ideally, I’d prefer someone a bit younger, but it would be a no brainer. At the very least, you’re not going to see DT try to cover the fastest guy on the field. I believe Wade is fairly aggressive as well

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He wasn't fired, they didn't renew his contract. Him and McVay had a different philosophies. It was a mutual split.
lol is that what your GFs used to tell ya.