Week 6 Thoughts and Observations

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thoughts and Observations Week 6

Offense

-I thought that Jay Cutler played well again. The interception was ugly, but it was one play. Cutler had another nice game with his feet, extending plays and making throws. The drive to tie the game was really good. For most of the game Cutler played well. The throw to Eddie Royal on the goal line was another bad throw in a big spot, but he came back and hit Bennett in the hands on the next snap.

-Martellus Bennett has been brutal, not bad, but brutal for the last 2 games. The drops, the not getting the 1st down, the blocking effort issues. For a guy who missed times, who wanted a new contract and a trade he has not really impressed.

-It was nice to see how Alshon Jeffery played yesterday. He looked healthy and made huge plays for the Bears. Now Jeffery needs to stay healthy and do this for the rest of the season and then you can sign him to a long term deal.

-Charles Leno continued to impress. I am sure the PFF will credit him with 100 pressures and a terrible grade, but Leno took the best player on the defense in Ezekial Ansah and kept him off of the stat sheet. Leno's pass protection is really impressive and again Jay had a solid amount of time and enough room to step up. Leno should start the rest of the season and I know that will upset Bushrod, but they need to know if this guy can be an NFL LT.

-I am pretty sure when I go back and watch the game Grasu and Ducasse are not going to come out of it looking good.

-This was probably the worse game for Kyle Long.

-The run blocking was pathetic, specifically the interior OL. Those zone runs on the inside were terrible as they had no push and nothing on the 2nd level. This was an epic failure in the run game and the fact that Gase and Fox kept going back to it is inexcusable.

Defense

-The Bears run defense went back to being pathetic allowing over 150 yards to a team that was averaging a league low 40 yards a game. Just pathetic play against the run, which allowed Stafford to settle in.

-The defense missed Shea McClellin. They did not look like they were lined up properly or that they were adjusting before the snap to where they needed to be. In addition they were allowing a lot of long runs and missing a ton of tackles.

-Christian Jones looks confused.

-Sherrick McManis is terrible. I know I wanted to see what he could do on defense and he had a great preseason, but now he is a target in the passing game and he just gets abused over and over again. McManis needs to be taken off of defense, put back on special teams, and never allowed to take another defensive snap.

-Jonathan Anderson made some flash plays, which was nice to see. Overall, I am going to guess that he is not going to grade out great, but he is an interesting player.

-Willie Young and Lamarr Houston are useless. Neither offers any consistent pass rush and neither seems capable of keeping contain. Houston looks so slow.

-Pernell McPhee appeared to have a quit game, but he turned it on when he needed to. McPhee is literally rushing the passer on his own, which is incredibly difficult. McPhee gets chipped, double teamed and the protection gets slid to him, because the other guys are doing NOTHING.

-Sam Acho continued to make plays in the run game and in coverage. His forced fumble and his play in the screen game put the Lions in long yardage and forced punts.

-Adrian Amos, continues to show me something, he comes down in run support hard, and I did not see him being victimized in coverage. Harold Jones-Quartey had a rougher game as he struggled to contain and keep the passing game in front of him.

-Kyle Fuller cannot stop flirting with being a bust. The Tim Wright TD looked like a high school player trying to play defense and throughout the game he tackled well, but he continues to allow completions. I know that he made a nice play on Tate, but he also allowed the completion.

-Tracy Porter continued to play pretty well again. Calvin's big gain in the 1st half was against a zone defense, and his big catch in overtime came on Fuller's side.

Coaching

-I am still impressed with what this coaching staff has done this season. YESTERDAY was just a bad day for them at the office.

-The clock management by Fox late in the game was incompetent, and it was a big reason that he wore out his welcome in Denver. Once the Lions have a 1st and goal you take your timeouts because there are only 4 plays left. When they offer you a 10 second run off, you decline it.

-The putting the game on his defense, which had gotten torched all game, also boggles my mind. Instead of allowing an offense that was moving the ball to close out the game in regulation, or to win in overtime the Bears went conservative and put it on the defense.

-The offensive play calling was brutal late in the game. Shotgun, zone run, left for no gain over and over again. They refused to throw the ball, they refused to go to the misdirection, they refused to go the screen game. I still love what Adam Gase has done with the offense, and what he has done with Cutler, but against Detroit he went cowardly in an important moment.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I thought Cutler kept us in this game as best he could. Bennett dropping a TD hurts. The INT was more a great play by the corner than it was a bad through. The only bad play by Jay IMO was the overthrow to Forte on 3rd down.

We lost this game because Fox got conservative, plain and simple.

Liked Posts:
This game confirmed 3 things for me about the draft/free agency: Still need a pass rusher opposite of McPhee. ILB is still a huge need. And the secondary is the weak link of the team.

Sorta stating the obvious, but just my thoughts. Shea isn't amazing by any means but he was sorely missed...and they could use a stud next to him. McManis continues to get abused so they need to find 1 and maybe 2 CBs in the off-season. Might consider Fuller in the slot. I like Acho and even Houston and Young to a certain extent, but like Windy said...none are getting to the QB consistently. Need a pass rusher.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears pass rush is literally McPhee trying to beat 3 guys by himself and get sack or a pressure.

Goldman and Jenkins can press the pocket a little.

But the OLB on the other side might as well be the ghost of Jared Allen.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the McCaskeys might want to send Fox to the doctors to get tested for alzheimer's... He clearly thinks he's still in Denver with their defense. It's really the only explanation.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This game confirmed 3 things for me about the draft/free agency: Still need a pass rusher opposite of McPhee. ILB is still a huge need. And the secondary is the weak link of the team.

Sorta stating the obvious, but just my thoughts. Shea isn't amazing by any means but he was sorely missed...and they could use a stud next to him. McManis continues to get abused so they need to find 1 and maybe 2 CBs in the off-season. Might consider Fuller in the slot. I like Acho and even Houston and Young to a certain extent, but like Windy said...none are getting to the QB consistently. Need a pass rusher.

Honestly, Shea wasn't missed at all IMO. Perception wise while watching the game I honestly forgot he was hurt and not even playing until sometime in the 2nd half when they started talking about how Reynolds was an UDFA from the Jaguars originally.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
my observation....I hate Stafford. his smugness pisses me off, in an Aaron Rogers sort of way

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There were 3 really bad tosses by Cutler.

-The pick
-The Royal slant in the end zone
-The Forte over throw

Pretty much. Some other debatable misses and smaller problems that Cutler will never get rid of but Cutler had pretty much his third straight mid-level "B" graded game IMO.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Honestly, Shea wasn't missed at all IMO. Perception wise while watching the game I honestly forgot he was hurt and not even playing until sometime in the 2nd half when they started talking about how Reynolds was an UDFA from the Jaguars originally.

The Lions were averaging 40 yards a game rushing.

The Bears gave up over 150 yards.

They looked like they had issues tackling in the middle and getting the defense lined up and adjusted.

Shea is not special, but he at least keeps it average in the middle.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I never liked those fading lob throws to the corner to get a jump ball situation. It's hard to execute and there are so many better options. It was not a good throw but it was a sensational interception.

LOL. Your standard for a sensational play is incredibly low.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
It would have been nice to get a replay on the Royal throw before the Bennett drop.

Royal cost us a valuable first down in OT by inexplicably fumbling the ball TWICE like a 3 year old with no one within 5 yards of him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL. Your standard for a sensational play is incredibly low.

On the pick

-Bad Throw
-Not a great effort from Jeffery
-Nice jam by Mathis and then he caught the ball

Bad offense, and a good play by the CB.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They looked like they had issues tackling in the middle and getting the defense lined up and adjusted.

They've also had to abandon the run in games in order to throw because they were behind or playing Seattle. Just saying I didn't see anything watching the game where I viewed it as "Shea would have made that play" "Wow, we miss Shea as terrible as he is" etc

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Agreed 100% with this. Jones took the wrong gap or was slow to fill so many times yesterday. These are things that don't always show up on the stat sheet and it's why Shea goes unnoticed.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They've also had to abandon the run in games in order to throw because they were behind or playing Seattle. Just saying I didn't see anything watching the game where I viewed it as "Shea would have made that play" "Wow, we miss Shea as terrible as he is" etc

I think that Shea being out hurt the Bears.

I do not think he would have magically made them shut down the Lions, he just is not that good.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Fullers play sometimes is just unacceptable, the TD looks like he decided to stop playing in the middle of the play and then clapped his hands after. He has great ability and was known as a hard worker and a pro in college.