What are realistic scenarios bears trade up for a QB

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Seattle was sold on Wilson they would not have waited until the 3rd round to draft him. Wilson was a fluke because they signed Matt Flynn and he was supposed to be their guy. They actually had no idea he was going to be a franchise changing QB until he got into training camp. They wanted to start Flynn but Wilson was so impressive they were scared they would lose the team if they let Flynn start You usually post some really smart stuff but you lost me with this one man. Like I said before ALL QBs are a crap shoot and no body really knows how good they will be until the get into camp
Actually, the story is easily verified by multiple sources. You enter with your own made up narrative, not what actually happened.

Schneider being sold on Wilson might be an understatement. He was giddy about getting him. Teams do enter drafts with a very good idea where players will be drafted. That year, due to Wilson being undersized, he was projected as a late round pick up or even undrafted for backup QB. So, while you and others may ask why they waited til the 3rd round, fact was many projected he'd go in the last round or even go undrafted and the Hawks were criticized for taking him so early especially after signing the big FA QB earlier that off season.

Schneider had thoughts of franchise QB from the beginning. As the story goes, Schneider watched lots of film on him and was completely enamored with him. Unlike Pace, he then went to his HC and told him he wanted him to watch the same stuff on Wilson and after doing so, Carrol was as high on him as was Schneider.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Jake Fromm declares, we might be able to nab him in the 2nd round.

mbison

Liked Posts:
Actually, the story is easily verified by multiple sources. You enter with your own made up narrative, not what actually happened.

Schneider being sold on Wilson might be an understatement. He was giddy about getting him. Teams do enter drafts with a very good idea where players will be drafted. That year, due to Wilson being undersized, he was projected as a late round pick up or even undrafted for backup QB. So, while you and others may ask why they waited til the 3rd round, fact was many projected he'd go in the last round or even go undrafted and the Hawks were criticized for taking him so early especially after signing the big FA QB earlier that off season.

Schneider had thoughts of franchise QB from the beginning. As the story goes, Schneider watched lots of film on him and was completely enamored with him. Unlike Pace, he then went to his HC and told him he wanted him to watch the same stuff on Wilson and after doing so, Carrol was as high on him as was Schneider.

I’m a huge WI fan. I know the story of Wilson. If the GM knew Wilson was going to turn out like this he would have drafted Wilson with his 1st pick or even traded up to guarantee he got him. Wilson is a generations, franchise changing QB and if there was a redo of that draft he would have been the number 1 pick selected. The GM liked Wilson at the time but not enough to be a number 1 pick

Getting a franchis Qb to these GMs is like hitting the lottery. He would not risk waiting 3 rounds if he was that sure. That sounds ridiculous

Last edited:

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe Herbert can replace Montgomery.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m a huge WI fan. I know the story of Wilson. If the GM knew Wilson was going to turn out like this he would have drafted Wilson with his 1st pick or even traded up to guarantee he got him. Wilson is a generations, franchise changing QB and if there was a redo of that draft he would have been the number 1 pick selected. The GM liked Wilson at the time but not enough to be a number 1 pick
Why do you think GMs have to act as desperate as Pace? If a player is projected to go either very late or not at all do you not think it's safe for that team to go after players in higher demand like Wagner while still grabbing their guy in plenty of time?

As these things go, it was reported after the fact that other teams had Wilson on their radar but that was not the case pre-draft. Turns out Andy Reid was said to be planning to take Wilson in the 3rd as well but Hawks 3rd round pick was 13 spots higher. Schneider did want to pick him in the 2nd but got talked into waiting another round even though it rattled his nerves a bit. haha. Andy settled for Foles in the 3rd.

"John convinced me on Russell," Carroll told TheMMQB.com's Peter King . "He was on him early, then he came back from seeing him late in his season at Wisconsin, I think against Michigan State, and he was so enthused about him. I watched a lot of tape on him, and John was right on. Then he got here, and he was everything John said he was."

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Getting a franchis Qb to these GMs is like hitting the lottery. He would not risk waiting 3 rounds if he was that sure. That sounds ridiculous

It sounds ridiculous because it is ridiculous. This can be said about many other QB's like Brady, Dak and many others and can be said about many many other players. NOBODY knows how any college player will make the transition from college to the NFL.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd hesitate to take him in the 7th...
He had an up-and-down yea, sure, but he's still a good QB. After his freshman and sophmore years, he was considered a first round pick. The Georgia offense lost a lot of talent in meantime, and his performance did dip.

I'd still take a chance on him in the 2nd.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
He had an up-and-down yea, sure, but he's still a good QB. After his freshman and sophmore years, he was considered a first round pick. The Georgia offense lost a lot of talent in meantime, and his performance did dip.

Let's be like Pace and judge him on this 1 game right here.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
It sounds ridiculous because it is ridiculous. This can be said about many other QB's like Brady, Dak and many others and can be said about many many other players. NOBODY knows how any college player will make the transition from college to the NFL.
If it was ridiculous, I wouldn't have been able to point to a Carroll quote that verifies it. Of course, we can listen to him, who was actually involved in it, or to guys like you who make up your own fictitious narratives and think college QB talent can't be assessed and it's all just blind luck.

mbison

Liked Posts:
If it was ridiculous, I wouldn't have been able to point to a Carroll quote that verifies it. Of course, we can listen to him, who was actually involved in it, or to guys like you who make up your own fictitious narratives and think college QB talent can't be assessed and it's all just blind luck.

I know all the quotes but please explain why they didn’t select Wilson with their 1st pick though? He’s more important than any player they’ve drafted in probably their history. If they knew all that in advance they would have sold the farm to get him. They wouldn’t have taken Bruce Irvin over him. ??? Your Argument is giving me a headache because it’s reallly stupid. I’m sure the GM was in love with Wilson but they fall in love with a lot of people they don’t draft. Like I said. If they knew for sure he would be a franchise QB they would never let him sit 3 rounds

Last edited:

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know all the quotes but please explain why they didn’t select Wilson with their 1st pick though? He’s more important than any player they’ve drafted in probably their history. If they knew all that in advance they would have sold the farm to get him
You obviously did not know the quotes. Why would you expect anybody to buy your BS narrative if you knew the quotes that already said this went down exactly as I said?

Read previous posts in which why they took him in the 3rd round was plainly explained. I can type if for ya, but can't comprehend it for you.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

Oh, hell no.

mbison

Liked Posts:
You obviously did not know the quotes. Why would you expect anybody to buy your BS narrative if you knew the quotes that already said this went down exactly as I said?

Read previous posts in which why they took him in the 3rd round was plainly explained. I can type if for ya, but can't comprehend it for you.

Im just going to assume either you are really drunk or not very smart. Obviously the GM loved Wilson other wise he wouldn’t have drafted him. GMs love a lot of players but drafting someone in the 3rd lets us know they weren’t even the highest player on their board. They thought Bruce Irvin (1st pick) was a better player and he’s a bust. I’m sure a lot of GMs loved Mitch but maybe as a 5th rounder????. The GM loved Wilson but not enough to think he’s a franchise QB I’m done arguing with you because something is mentally wrong with you

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Too many other needs.
Pace stated that Mitch is the man.
Sorry.
If you want to believe words that are spit out a couple of days after the season, then okay. The other needs are worthless without fixing the QB position.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
If we only 4 to 6 games next year, he could absolutely get canned.

Imagine the defense regressing to average. The median NFL defenses gave up 22 ppg this year. With our offense, we would have only won 3 games.

I could see that scenario playing out. It's not too far fetched.
If Pace goes then Nagy goes as well (they are tied together). Pace is on the hot seat entering the 2020 season and if they win 4-6 games, then they are almost guaranteed to be fired.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im just going to assume either you are really drunk or not very smart. Obviously the GM loved Wilson other wise he wouldn’t have drafted him. GMs love a lot of players but drafting someone in the 3rd lets us know they weren’t even the highest player on their board. They thought Bruce Irvin (1st pick) was a better player and he’s a bust. I’m sure a lot of GMs loved Mitch but maybe as a 5th rounder????. The GM loved Wilson but not enough to think he’s a franchise QB I’m done arguing with you because something is mentally wrong with you
Are you even serious at this point? You act as though you don't know the first thing about NFL drafts. Irvin was projected as a high 1st rounder, lots of teams had him targeted. Makes way more sense than taking Shea McClellin. Wilson was projected to go in later rounds. Why would you think you'd have to take a player projected in later rounds in the first? As I stated, Schneider did want to take Wilson in the 2nd but was talked into waiting a round so they could take Bobby Wagner. Maybe you've heard of him?

Visionman

Liked Posts:

He's not even a good college QB...

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Hmm interesting Hurts is predicted to go 99th overall I think if they take a chance on anyone it should be him