What Are You Playing Right Now? (Gaming Thread)

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I went back to GTCW the last week or so to see how development has been going.

They hadn't had a new patch since February and released an Economy overhaul along with some bug fixes. Its better, but still has the common flaws that lead to a large quantity of player time being spent organizing units on or off the battlefield.

-No unit multi-select, can only move 1 Campaign or 1 Battle Unit at a time
-Only groups of units under a command Division/Corps can move groups of units and only in specific formations
-OOB screen remains a nightmare of Default OOB->Scroll to Unit-> Open Change window->Make Change ->Default OOB->Scroll to Unit....

The bones of the game are still incredibly well made, but require tons of meat and polish.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
Seriously, they keep remastering the same games over and over instead of making something new. I've always dug Fallout and ES and im into space shit so i have high hopes for Starfield. But you're right, it could be very repetitive. I was thinking early days No Man's Sky, where the aliens were randomly generated from the same 100 parts and most of them made no sense. But we'll see. Maybe this game is a big reason why ES hasn't gained much steam in recent years and its to this games benefit.
Farcry says hello

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Never played one.

A great concept dragged down by the Corporatization of gaming development.

They found one way to make an open-world FPS with a story and side missions and just kept iterating on the same thing.

Creative development is always more time consuming and costly, but it produces fun concepts with depth of content.

Time and time again development studios are Corporatized into efficiency machines.

First they start removing story, because it costs money to write/edit/produce story and have people act it out.

They also cut the testing/QA departments either entirely (and offshore them) or harrow them to the point they barely function.

Then they start weeding out anything in the coding requirements that is estimated to take a long time so they can release by some date a sales guy picked, heedless of dependency issues and core structure.

End up at a point where they'll take a proof-of-concept, wrap it up, and deliver it as a 60$ finished product and charge for DLCs to fix it.

The Corporate incentive is reducing cost and increasing efficiency, and while this sounds good, if you apply it to the actual design/coding of a software product what you get is overworked programmers producing trash code in volume because Corporate software development tends towards producing volume of product to benefit sales, but this is a wildly antiquated way of thinking about a product that can be copied an infinite number of times.

What they should do is Corporatize all the non-programming aspects of a development studio.... the facilities, the security, the HR, the Accounting, the Payroll, the Lawyers, the Contracts, the Sales, etc.... and then allow the development studio to determine all its own timelines and deliver finished product that is held to a high standard of quality by the Corporate management, rather than pushing for low quality and high coding volume.

Set up lots of well-managed gaming dev studios under the umbrella of a Corporate Daddy that handles all the boring stuff, but holds the dev studios accountable on 3-5 year cycles of review, with realistic numbers/growth baked in.

Idk what they think they get by forcing software developers to churn out trash code that no one reviews or refactors on a rapid basis, mostly rapid in order to fix all the bugs they introduce by coding fast and loose in the first place.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A great concept dragged down by the Corporatization of gaming development.

They found one way to make an open-world FPS with a story and side missions and just kept iterating on the same thing.

Creative development is always more time consuming and costly, but it produces fun concepts with depth of content.

Time and time again development studios are Corporatized into efficiency machines.

First they start removing story, because it costs money to write/edit/produce story and have people act it out.

They also cut the testing/QA departments either entirely (and offshore them) or harrow them to the point they barely function.

Then they start weeding out anything in the coding requirements that is estimated to take a long time so they can release by some date a sales guy picked, heedless of dependency issues and core structure.

End up at a point where they'll take a proof-of-concept, wrap it up, and deliver it as a 60$ finished product and charge for DLCs to fix it.

The Corporate incentive is reducing cost and increasing efficiency, and while this sounds good, if you apply it to the actual design/coding of a software product what you get is overworked programmers producing trash code in volume because Corporate software development tends towards producing volume of product to benefit sales, but this is a wildly antiquated way of thinking about a product that can be copied an infinite number of times.

What they should do is Corporatize all the non-programming aspects of a development studio.... the facilities, the security, the HR, the Accounting, the Payroll, the Lawyers, the Contracts, the Sales, etc.... and then allow the development studio to determine all its own timelines and deliver finished product that is held to a high standard of quality by the Corporate management, rather than pushing for low quality and high coding volume.

Set up lots of well-managed gaming dev studios under the umbrella of a Corporate Daddy that handles all the boring stuff, but holds the dev studios accountable on 3-5 year cycles of review, with realistic numbers/growth baked in.

Idk what they think they get by forcing software developers to churn out trash code that no one reviews or refactors on a rapid basis, mostly rapid in order to fix all the bugs they introduce by coding fast and loose in the first place.
i appreciate how passionate you are about this but FIxpPU1X0AQbJ_9.png

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Its 12 sentences.

Hope short enough reply.

Sorry it not a Tik-Tok.
It was 394 words on a series I said I've never played.

I've never tik-tokd. Sorry a meme upset you.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
finally finished rdr2.. took me 134 hours.. a lot of that time was spent wandering early in the game before fast travel is introduced. i didnt know that was a thing..

i think im around 86% complete. i didnt finish all the challenges. nor did i complete all the legendary fishing/hunting.

game was okay. like it better than rdr1.. just wish they would remaster rdr1 an release it on pc.

Might see what rdr2 online is about or just move on to something else on the back log.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
@Ares you know when they eventually do a mass effect movie or show they will choose the female Sheppard lol.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Steam summer sale is on.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Just finished ac origins. I really liked this game. Didn’t realize how long these games were this was my first ac game I’ve played. I might buy some of the other ones or wait for more to get released on game pass. Might switch to the ps start knocking out some games on there haven’t fired it up in months

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just finished ac origins. I really liked this game. Didn’t realize how long these games were this was my first ac game I’ve played. I might buy some of the other ones or wait for more to get released on game pass. Might switch to the ps start knocking out some games on there haven’t fired it up in months

Origins was very different from the AC games that came before it.

I never finished Origins nor any game that followed.

Lemme know if you play the others after Origins, I keep wondering if they're worth all the effort to play up to current.

That series has so many fucking games lol.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I been playing Raft, bought it after the 1.0 release.

Its definitely fun/addicting like other survival/crafting games.

Worth it on a Steam deal for sure.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Origins was very different from the AC games that came before it.

I never finished Origins nor any game that followed.

Lemme know if you play the others after Origins, I keep wondering if they're worth all the effort to play up to current.

That series has so many fucking games lol.
It was fun I liked it. It was just way too long I didn’t expect that from a game that has a new one every couple years lol. There is also a dlc I didn’t buy with two more story lines to it. I might just watch that on YouTube. Actually playing ninja gaiden right now. That game is pretty damn hard

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was fun I liked it. It was just way too long I didn’t expect that from a game that has a new one every couple years lol. There is also a dlc I didn’t buy with two more story lines to it. I might just watch that on YouTube. Actually playing ninja gaiden right now. That game is pretty damn hard

I found every AC game felt like that, aside from maybe 1 or 2 where the main story felt a little short.

You really gotta invest in that series if you like it.

I have Assassin's Creed hoodies I still wear lol.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I been playing Raft, bought it after the 1.0 release.

Its definitely fun/addicting like other survival/crafting games.

Worth it on a Steam deal for sure.

I put some time in raft, it was okay for a while. finally hit a boredom wall once i became too efficient.. but i still pushed through to that geodome city.. cant even remember the name of the place.. after figuring that place out i havent been back to the game..