What did people expect?

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="pmxc12873"]Well, if DT wasnt handing out 3mil dollar contracts like it was Xmas candy for players that just played 1 full season, maybe one or two of them would still be here.

These guys were RFA's and thier salaries skyrocked out of line -

Versteeg - 91gms - 53pts - goes from 490k to 3.083mil

Byfuglien - 101gms - 44pts- goes from 675k to 3.0mil

Barker - 149gms - 66pts - goes from 985k to 3.083 (never played 82gms - 149gms over 3 seasons)

Sopel goes from an non-roster invite ....offered 800K by DET ...to 1yr-1.5mil from CHI...to a 3yr-2.33mil cap hit

Hell, Bolland got 3.25mil for 5yrs with only 1 full/healthy season after making 850k.

Yes, these guys helped the Hawks win the cup and everyone loves and hugs them....gummi bears and candy for everyone....but those were some pretty inflated contracts in my opinion and everyone and their mother knew thew were gone.

No one asked you to jump for joy or get excited for a 500K signing. I don;t think the Hawks are announcing the signing as some huge move by the team and I don't think anyone said he was going to be the answer. The previous season, Hawks signed Matt Walker for 600K..and he only played 54,48 and 43gms respectively for STL in the previous 3 seasons but he filled a role, as this guy will.[/quote]

This only occurred because of the QO gaffe last year. Still not conviced the McD didn't sabotage that whole deal to make firing Tallon easier. Had Tallon not acted quickly and signed these guys, he would have lost them all in my opinion. He overpaid because he was forced to in my mind.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
My butt before Hjalmarsson signing (_._)

My butt after Hjalmarsson signing (_o_)

[quote name="DBQHawkFan"]

This only occurred because of the QO gaffe last year. Still not conviced the McD didn't sabotage that whole deal to make firing Tallon easier. Had Tallon not acted quickly and signed these guys, he would have lost them all in my opinion. He overpaid because he was forced to in my mind.[/quote]

Yup. He would have lost them for nothing.

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

Yup. He would have lost them for nothing.[/quote]

And we would be less one Cup!

E Runs

Liked Posts:
I agree those were gigantic raises and yes, RFA vs UFA is different but after some of the crazy paper thrown around yesterday those contracts look like bargins. Colby Armstrong at $3M? I'll take Kris Versteeg at that same price anyday.

But like Don Corleone said, what's done is done. And like I say, could you imagine what it'd be like had the Hawks not won the Cup and they lost these guys anyway!? Holy fuck!

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:

This only occurred because of the QO gaffe last year. Still not conviced the McD didn't sabotage that whole deal to make firing Tallon easier. Had Tallon not acted quickly and signed these guys, he would have lost them all in my opinion. He overpaid because he was forced to in my mind.[/quote]

Byfuglein and Sopel weren't. And those 3 could have been re-upped earlier as well...thats my opinion. Were they offered 2mil and turned it down from the Hawks? Asked for the 3mil then they had to pay it? 3mil seemed to be DT's magic number.

Anyone of them could have signed for less if they wanted to be here a longer time as well. They didnt turn down the 3mil, knowing they'd be moved later. Hawks won the cup...best of luck to all of them in ATL and TOR.

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="pmxc12873"]

Byfuglein and Sopel weren't. And those 3 could have been re-upped earlier as well...thats my opinion. Were they offered 2mil and turned it down from the Hawks? Asked for the 3mil then they had to pay it? 3mil seemed to be DT's magic number.

Anyone of them could have signed for less if they wanted to be here a longer time as well. They didnt turn down the 3mil, knowing they'd be moved later. Hawks won the cup...best of luck to all of them in ATL and TOR.[/quote]

I am pretty sure Buff was in that group. Sopel wasn't. I think it was Versteeg, Buff and Barker if I am not mistaken.

I am pretty sure Buff was in that group. Sopel wasn't. I think it was Versteeg, Buff and Barker if I am not mistaken.[/quote]

Barker, Versteeg, Fraser maybe and some minor guys. Barker and Versteeg were the big ones in the RFA fiasco Mcdonough caused.

And three Million was something Tallon used because he would get them or lose them for Nothing PXMSDSIEX.

He made the offer to Barker first knowing Barker was getting in offer from the Bruins for MORE! They all discussed it and decided to resign with the Hawks.

I knew that we were going to be in this situation as the rest of us who actually know what had to happen.

Check out the main page for my article on how this whole circle of hockey life works.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

Barker, Versteeg, Fraser maybe and some minor guys. Barker and Versteeg were the big ones in the RFA fiasco Mcdonough caused.

And three Million was something Tallon used because he would get them or lose them for Nothing PXMSDSIEX.

He made the offer to Barker first knowing Barker was getting in offer from the Bruins for MORE! They all discussed it and decided to resign with the Hawks.[/quote]

Yes, DK. I know the "fiasco" that McDonough caused, to essentially get Talon fired and forced all those 3mil dollar contracts those players at their summit decided to sign, which made them all rich players, by the way.

Youve made it clear thats what happened and preach it to anyone that will listen. Well, its done, over with.

So now - trying to move on - they have moved those contracts from some good assets-picks and prospects

Other than resigning Niemi and Hjarlmarsson....which they had to move players out before getting it done - what else could they do?

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
Look, since we have a bunch of super skilled guys (more than any other team) with big cap hits that form our core, we have to sign some guys for $500k -$800k per year. And guess what, players in that price range are not the most talented fellas around.

ONE of the guys who doesn't have a shitload of talent and is going to be playing for peanuts next year is a good fighter. Is that really something worth wigging out about?? And think about this: how much worse than Walker or Hendry can this guy be??

-5Minutes

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="5Minutes4Fighting"]Look, since we have a bunch of super skilled guys (more than any other team) with big cap hits that form our core, we have to sign some guys for $500k -$800k per year. And guess what, players in that price range are not the most talented fellas around.

ONE of the guys who doesn't have a shitload of talent and is going to be playing for peanuts next year is a good fighter. Is that really something worth wigging out about?? And think about this: how much worse than Walker or Hendry can this guy be??

-5Minutes[/quote]

Walker was worse... Hendry is better.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The moves are not surprising in the least. Stan got good value in all 3 trades. The core of the team remains intact. I expect both Niemi and Hjaqwekjgnvnadjkvipjhson to be re-signed soon.

My biggest concern is what they will do with Huet and his cap hit.

[quote name="winos5"]The moves are not surprising in the least. Stan got good value in all 3 trades. The core of the team remains intact. I expect both Niemi and Hjaqwekjgnvnadjkvipjhson to be re-signed soon.

My biggest concern is what they will do with Huet and his cap hit.[/quote]

Rockford.

Huet knows it. There was an article in a French Paper where Huet was quoted saying he knows the Hawks have no place for him in their plans and that after he was sent to Rockford his Agent was hoping to work out a deal where he could go to Europe to play.

It was in french the 300 level had it translated. No worry from me on Huet what so ever. It appears they have a plan and Huet is fully aware of it.

[quote name="pmxc12873"]

Yes, DK. I know the "fiasco" that McDonough caused, to essentially get Talon fired and forced all those 3mil dollar contracts those players at their summit decided to sign, which made them all rich players, by the way.

Youve made it clear thats what happened and preach it to anyone that will listen. Well, its done, over with.

So now - trying to move on - they have moved those contracts from some good assets-picks and prospects

Other than resigning Niemi and Hjarlmarsson....which they had to move players out before getting it done - what else could they do?[/quote]

Just so you are clear it wasn't only me that preached it. Mora lost his job for reporting it.

All I care about now is they resign Niemi-Hjarlmarsson and find a decent 3rd line wing and experienced #6 D man, other than someone 6 8 that has a hard time skating around the rink.

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
Not suprised by any of the losses so far. Disappointed in losing Ladd. Confused by the Scott signing, there has to be other "big men" available that can actually skate. Just sign H+10 and another G...we all know I am not on the Niemi bandwagon. If he stays and follows up wth another above average season, then I will. Too many sophmore slumps lately, especially by netminders.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="pmxc12873"]

Other than resigning Niemi and Hjarlmarsson....which they had to move players out before getting it done - what else could they do?[/quote]

I may be posting this a little late to the show, but about a week or so after th Hawks had won the "CUP" :dance: :clap:They were talking about the state of the team going forward, Mc DICK was on Comcast Sports nightly show and was asked "if winning the cup made him feel vindicated for the firing of DT . He replied absolutely not, but the whole thing went down like it had been discussed off camera and his "absolutely not" comment had a strong lack of sincerity , my EXTREME DISDAIN (HATRED) for this ASS grows every time he shows his mug on camera. Like he has anything to do with the on ice success of the CBH!

[quote name="pmxc12873"]

Ironic you brought this up, but funny OTHERS are talking about it now. WOW.... Look at this recent Tid Bit, LIKE TODAY!!

I can't WAIT to read TALLON and DUDLEYS Biography some time.... Hey MCDOUCHE this is for you buddy and our CAP FUCKING PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW!!!

"It is well-known new Hawks president John McDonough is not a big fan of either Tallon or Savard and that McDonough was the driving force behind the signings of unrestricted free agents Cristobal Huet and Brian Campbell."-Rick Dudley

Funny John, not everyone is afraid of you ASSHOLE!

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="pmxc12873"]RK...there is no other board! (I havent been back - not even for a peek- since coming here....I dont think I could take that) I am HF50's nemisis still, even though it doesnt say it.

I think, in a way though....some of these "changes" may negate a bit of the hangover. Maybe some of the new blood gives the players a new hunger were those new players want to win and pushes the guys coming back to another level to help them get there.

I still think the Hawks are going to boast 3 scoring line...

Kopecky - Toews - Hossa .....Kopecky was great after Olympics

Stalberg - Sharp - Kane ....... Stalberg has size and speed/may net 20 with Kane

Bickell - Bolland - Brouwer...... 22g from Brouwer on the 3rd line...full 82 from Bolland?

And that doesnt include if Stu's boy makes the team...maybe Kopecky gets bumped down...hell, Toews only potted 25g last year...he's due for a 40...and a full 82 of Hossa as well with the Hawks style could easily get 40+, with the cup ghosts off his back.

The Hawks may have gotten bigger and younger this offseason and who knows, maybe more skilled. Time will tell.[/quote]

I think the 3rd line will be able to score, but not to the effectiveness that the 'Hawks were able to do last season. They just will not have the ability (talent) to take guys like Buff, Brouwer, Kopecky, Versteeg, & Ladd, and be able to bounce them between the top 3 lines at will and still produce...and not hurt the other lines.

But all in all, the core is going to have a pretty darn good supporting cast.